Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2021, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,893 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I’m so excited to write this post as it means I am finally getting closer to our big move to Maine. I’m originally from Georgia and my fiancé is originally from Arkansas. We are ages 35 and 33 respectively. We own 2 dogs (1 large 1 medium sized), no kids.
We each own a home here in Georgia but think it best to rent a year before purchasing a home in Maine. That’s where the advice on finding a rental comes in. Target move date would be Spring/Summer 2022.I would prefer to rent an over garage apt or something of the like from a local homeowner instead of a rental company or landlord. I’ll be in Maine once or twice before the move to look but other than that, can anyone offer advice to find local rentals? Thanks in advance!

Edit: I should probably add the target area is around the Bangor area (1 hour radius)

Last edited by AshFost1; 12-15-2021 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 05:56 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Facebook Market Place might be helpful. The zip for Bangor is 04401.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:09 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Rental demand is at an all time high
As are prices

You can check on Craigslist and fb marketplace and Bangor
Daily newspaper

If your heart is set to come up here
I’d. Jump in and buy a place
Download the Realtor.com app
Set up searches …. Still some good deals on the market

Old 12-16-2021, 08:53 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Rental demand is at an all time high
As are prices

You can check on Craigslist and fb marketplace and Bangor
Daily newspaper

If your heart is set to come up here
I’d. Jump in and buy a place
Download the Realtor.com app
Set up searches …. Still some good deals on the market
I agree. Still many affordable places. Good luck.

Old 12-17-2021, 07:42 AM

2 posts, read 1,893 times
Thank you all for your replies. After talking it over with Fiancé, we have decided to purchase a camper and live out of it while we search for a home up there. I would be completing an internship through December so we would wait until we had an idea of where I would potentially be working before buying. Lol, time to winterize a camper!

Old 12-17-2021, 03:05 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,019 times
Just be aware that a lot of campers are not suitable for winter camping.. if this camper thing extended past next fall. But there are a few brands. Northwoods Arctic Fox and Nash brands are well known as all-seasons campers. I have also looked at Winnebago xxx and Forest River Rockwood for being reasonably well winterized.

Temps getting down to the - numbers are going to demand that you have a good winter camping setup. Keeping the water from freezing is one thing, but as the temps getting really cold, the keeping the sewage from freezing also becomes an issue. And how you can dump that, or finding a sewage hookup that won't freeze up is another issue.

Plus where are you going to park it? It is not like campgrounds stay open all year in cold climates...???? (We are buying a camper for WY as we build out there, and need a good 4 seasons camper but it will be parked on our own land, in a garage with a bathroom.)

So think all of that out very carefully. It was only 4 winters back that Bangor saw this very cold week: https://bangordailynews.com/2017/12/...k-in-40-years/

Old 12-18-2021, 10:16 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Just be aware that a lot of campers are not suitable for winter camping.. if this camper thing extended past next fall. But there are a few brands. Northwoods Arctic Fox and Nash brands are well known as all-seasons campers. I have also looked at Winnebago xxx and Forest River Rockwood for being reasonably well winterized.

Temps getting down to the - numbers are going to demand that you have a good winter camping setup. Keeping the water from freezing is one thing, but as the temps getting really cold, the keeping the sewage from freezing also becomes an issue. And how you can dump that, or finding a sewage hookup that won't freeze up is another issue.

Plus where are you going to park it? It is not like campgrounds stay open all year in cold climates...???? (We are buying a camper for WY as we build out there, and need a good 4 seasons camper but it will be parked on our own land, in a garage with a bathroom.)

So think all of that out very carefully. It was only 4 winters back that Bangor saw this very cold week: https://bangordailynews.com/2017/12/...k-in-40-years/
This. All very true, especially the parking part. Many places don't allow RV's to just hang around. People get away with it for a bit, but then they get forced to move on. State parks have a maximum stay of 14 days also.

Old 12-23-2021, 05:37 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
You could buy a piece of land in a location where you would be allowed to park a camper on it. Maybe you should watch some YouTube videos about camping in cold weather, winter etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine