Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 07:46 AM

38 posts, read 37,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Is this the outfit you are referring to? Maine Solar
No, sorry I said Maine Solar but should have said Community Solar. It looks like Maine Solar is a company that installs panels on your home that you would buy and own, like for off-grid. I'm referring to a community solar program, like this one: https://maine.nexamp.com or like this (this is an interesting site, it shows all the solar farms in your vicinity) https://communitysolar.energysage.com

Just to be clear, I'm not opposed to these programs. Green is good, and of course I want to save money too. I'm just skeptical of adding yet another bill and potentially getting locked into something.

Last edited by Fooey; 12-07-2021 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 09:05 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,484,789 times
Ok, tnx. I have been trying to figure the new Maine legislation for the community solar systems, and whose interests are what, etc. As far as I can see so far:
- A large part of this is about business opportunities to sell equipment and systems, and the overall benefit or detriment to the power system is yet to be understood.
- A lot of advocacy is involved, but again, with no real firm idea on the outcome; the very likely prospects of higher rates in the end is being swept under the rug by such advocates.
- The PUC appears to be seeing the big picture a lot better, and so will get slammed when they 'call it like they see it' and try to put the real costs into the picture.

In CA, the actual costs of the numerous connections to the grid from small/tiny Soler setups is now being recognized, and rate reductions in what is paid for such small power generation are being proposed. The argument is being advanced that those small generators are having their rates subsidized st the expense of the rest of the users..... Which is the reality. The reaction is predictable: the small solar generation proponents are screaming bloody murder....

Old 12-12-2021, 04:58 AM

12,597 posts, read 9,716,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
It should be noted that CMP has nothing to do with the power generation side of the bill, This rate spike is basically from inflation and the high price of Nat Gas.
Yes.

"Average wholesale gas prices in September were 208 percent higher than a year earlier based on an index linked to pipeline delivery points in Massachusetts, according to the region’s grid operator, ISO-New England. And so-called “forward prices” for wholesale gas to be delivered this January and February are exceptionally high.

A contributing factor is inadequate pipeline capacity in the region to serve both heating needs and power plants on the coldest winter days. Environmental groups and public opposition have stalled pipeline expansion in recent years.

To keep the lights on during hours of peak demand, the grid operator may need to call on backup power plants that burn oil, such as Wyman Station in Yarmouth. The region also may take more deliveries of liquefied natural gas from an import terminal in New Brunswick, Canada. Both options are more costly and drive up market prices, Silkman said. Ultimately, they are reflected in the supply bids offered to the PUC."
https://www.pressherald.com/2021/11/...tes-next-year/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: