Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 05:46 AM

603 posts, read 623,055 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a 7- to 10-day camping trip to Maine in a couple of weeks. Approximate route will be Rangeley---Stratton---Greenville---Medway---Lincoln---Bangor---Milbridge---Acadia---Kittery. I will need to get groceries a couple of times. I am "self-contained" (camper language meaning I won't need to use campground or other public bathrooms). I will be hiking and kayaking, not visiting tourist attractions. In other words, a somewhat remote trip except for restocking. I won't be camping at Acadia. just making a very early morning drive around the island.

Last year I canceled this same trip due to campground closures. The camgprounds are open now. I'm looking at the Maine COVID graph and I see that the virus is far worse today (average 336 new cases per day) than it was one year ago (29 cases per day). To see the graph, google "Maine COVID." The state government and the U.S. CDC rate the infection rate in the whole state as "high": https://www.maine.gov/covid19/

I'm fully vaccinated, wear a mask in stores, and keep 6 feet of distance. (I am in a high-risk group.) A consideration is what happens if your car breaks down or you end up in the hospital and have contact with unvaccinated people. The vaccination rate in Maine appears to be 66%.

I'm taken aback by this third wave in Maine. Should it influence my plans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 06:16 AM

978 posts, read 673,521 times
If you google covid numbers Maine, you get as of September 13 you get zero new cases and 348 seven day average
If you google covid numbers NH you get as of September 13, 1215 new cases and 516 for a seven day average
Soooooooo….
We’re up here now. I see 50 50 masks. People are out and about getting on with life.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:34 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,834 times
Mayo Clinic graphic:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavir...d-19/map/maine

Covid will always be with us. Much like the cold and flu, it's never going away. How much risk you're comfortable with, especially being in a high risk group, is something you'll have to decide.

Good luck.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:17 AM

12,380 posts, read 9,483,835 times
So I am not cavalier about Covid-19, and here are some thoughts:
  • Hopefully you're fully vaccinated, then the odds of a serious course of disease are greatly diminished, even if you acquire an infection
  • Your current location also has some Covid-19 risk, and the Maine risk, even if it is higher than it was earlier, is still significantly lower than the current risk in the vast majority of states, so the odds are good that Maine is actually safer than your home state
  • If it's an outdoor trip, that significantly diminishes your odds of acquiring an infection, if someone infected uses the same campsite, or you pass them on the trail, you have the open air to dilute the virus. You might still get exposure > 0, but the likelihood of a replicating infection is smaller if you get a smaller dose transferred

Given the above, if it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to go kayaking and camping in Maine

Old 09-14-2021, 08:48 AM

37,444 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Since you are 'self-contained' and see no need to use campgrounds. Even if the campgrounds are ordered to close, should not have any impact on your conduct.

Nobody is shutting down grocery stores or gas stations.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
If you google covid numbers Maine, you get as of September 13 you get zero new cases and 348 seven day average
September 13 was a Monday. Maine doesn't report COVID statistics on Sunday or Monday. Hence the importance of the 7-day average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
So I am not cavalier about Covid-19, and here are some thoughts:
  • Hopefully you're fully vaccinated, then the odds of a serious course of disease are greatly diminished, even if you acquire an infection
  • Your current location also has some Covid-19 risk, and the Maine risk, even if it is higher than it was earlier, is still significantly lower than the current risk in the vast majority of states, so the odds are good that Maine is actually safer than your home state
  • If it's an outdoor trip, that significantly diminishes your odds of acquiring an infection, if someone infected uses the same campsite, or you pass them on the trail, you have the open air to dilute the virus. You might still get exposure > 0, but the likelihood of a replicating infection is smaller if you get a smaller dose transferred
Given the above, if it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to go kayaking and camping in Maine

Good points, OutdoorLover. Thank you. I would point out that if you stay home in your home state you're probably safer than if you travel to another state, where you will need services and run the risk of an accident etc. that increases your overall risk. However, I do these outdoor activities now in my home state; I just seek out less popular trails and boat launches and I would do the same in Maine. Your reasoning about the overall comparative risk makes sense.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:51 PM

12,380 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
September 13 was a Monday. Maine doesn't report COVID statistics on Sunday or Monday. Hence the importance of the 7-day average.

Good points, OutdoorLover. Thank you. I would point out that if you stay home in your home state you're probably safer than if you travel to another state, where you will need services and run the risk of an accident etc. that increases your overall risk. However, I do these outdoor activities now in my home state; I just seek out less popular trails and boat launches and I would do the same in Maine. Your reasoning about the overall comparative risk makes sense.
You might like to check out the visualization here labeled "Reported cases per 100,000 residents by county (7-day average)" - that shows the whole country and Maine looks about as good as any state does to my eye, and *far* better than the states that are in the news the past month or two because they're struggling.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...-cases-deaths/

Old 09-14-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
You might like to check out the visualization here labeled "Reported cases per 100,000 residents by county (7-day average)" - that shows the whole country and Maine looks about as good as any state does to my eye, and *far* better than the states that are in the news the past month or two because they're struggling.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...-cases-deaths/

Unfortunately the graphic is behind a pay wall, but thank you for interpreting it. I agree, Maine is very close to the bottom of the list of current infections per 100,000 people.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:10 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Maine is safe. Toss the mask and enjoy our beautiful state!

Old 09-17-2021, 03:55 AM

441 posts, read 439,067 times
Go for it. Chances are pretty low if you are vaccinated and since you are NOT being a tourist you probably won't see many people. Keep a mask handy just in case. I too am high risk doing chemo. I don't go out much except for my daily walk. I rarely see many people when I am out and about. But I keep a mask with me. Sometimes I stop at the store and buy a bottle of water and a candy bar. We have a mask mandate here in OR. All indoors unless you are eating in a restaurant.

I dislike crowds in general. I have no problems not being crowds but we have had to postpone our vacation this year and I am missing a concert in Nov because of the crowd even though they are mandating only vaccinated can attend. I am pretty bummed I will miss seeing the Eagles up in Seattle. Plus I do not think my oncologist would approve. I should be finished with the chemo but still may need radiation and it will take time for my body to be not immuno compromised.

Maine is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine