Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 01:51 AM

19 posts, read 19,242 times

Advertisements

I'm on my way! Well, at least I will be in a month. I have an opportunity to house sit for the winter, so I'm packing and hitting the road with my doofus golden retriever in the back seat. Holy mackerel, it's actually happening!

The plan is to drive up to Oakland and drop off my cat at my daughter's, then take the northern route across. The Google says it should take 50 hours, and I'm planning on 6 days to be safe. Then I'll put the dog in boarding and take a flight back to SFO so I can pick up the cat and return to Maine.

This will give me the chance to confirm that the cold won't kill me, and explore the midcoast area. When the right house comes on the market I'll be there to jump on it.

In the meantime, I just read that LLBean has lessons in snowshoeing and I'm going to sign up at the first hint of flurries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 04:32 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Good for you! Safe travels. Check in and let us know how it's going. I hope you have a great winter.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:55 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs31415 View Post
I'm on my way!
That sounds great.

You have it all planned out

Welcome

Quote:
... then take the northern route across
I have driven coast-to-coast a number of times, mostly by myself on a motorcycle, though a couple of times with my wife and kinders. The route that I have enjoyed the most has been through Canada. The Southernmost Canadian highway has some incredibly scenic routes and the road has been very well designed and maintained.

Quote:
... In the meantime, I just read that LLBean has lessons in snowshoeing and I'm going to sign up at the first hint of flurries
I have a 100+ acre woodlot that is a mile deep. There is a jeep trail that runs through the center of it, it is mostly flat level. Surrounded by forest, a nice mile long hike. If you walk to the far end, turn around and walk back you will have hiked 2 miles.

You are welcome to come here to practice with your snowshoes.

Though I would suggest that if you have a smart phone, install a Topography app. Some people have an inherent sense of direction, and some people do not. I have seen people who can walk in a straight line into the forest and they have managed to get lost. If you have a Topography app on your phone it will always show you where you are and the route that you took to get there. If all else fails, and you do get lost you can call me and I will come to get you.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:01 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
That sounds great.

You are welcome to come here to practice with your snowshoes.

I love your hospitality. Makes me smile

Old 09-15-2021, 11:10 AM

441 posts, read 439,627 times
Good luck and enjoy. We have driven across the US a couple times. As a kid we went to visit my aunt, uncle, and cousins in Casper WY. Then up to Yellowstone. Did that twice as a kid. Then in 1988 I left my home town in PA and drove to Seattle with my now ex. We stopped in MT for about a week and had a bunch of boxes shipped UPS. It was an adventure including a blown tire on the car.

I know live in PDX and when my brother got married my hubby and I drove back to PA. Since then the furthest east we have driven was to Minneapolis.

I have not driven through Canada but that route sounds interesting make sure you have a passport. I think they have the card that is good for North America and Caribbean. Best to check the State Department website.

Glad you have a companion with you. Goldens are the best.

I was telling my husband not too long ago I want to try snowshoeing. Maybe I'll get a chance some day.

Old 09-20-2021, 05:33 PM

596 posts, read 818,446 times
Quote:
In the meantime, I just read that LLBean has lessons in snowshoeing and I'm going to sign up at the first hint of flurries
They have some great Outdoor Discovery School classes for all seasons. Super affordable, too, if you take the basic class.

Old 09-21-2021, 05:24 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,349,149 times
Hope it will be a great trip... enjoy!

Old 09-22-2021, 01:33 AM

19 posts, read 19,242 times
I'm now deep in the weeds of packing. Even though I'm not planning on taking much the boxes are multiplying. What I haven't decided on yet is how to move everything, and I could use some advice.

Today I'm leaning towards renting a U-haul and towing my SUV on one of their flat-bed trailers. I'd have to add on at least an extra day to compensate for having to drive slower, but that's not what's holding me back. First of all, I've never driven a truck. But that doesn't mean I can't, just that I'd have to get used to it. Do you think towing the 4,000 lb beast would be difficult? And then there's parking every night. Yup, that concerns me.

Another option would be to pack the car with what I'll need for the winter and hire a Pods type carrier for the rest. The ones I've looked at are all expensive, but maybe that's the way to go. I can put my things in the attic of the house I'll be staying in, so that would eliminate the hefty monthly storage fees. Although I don't want to use Pods itself since it only goes as far as Portland, and then you have to hire movers to take everything to the final destination.

So what do you think? Any and all advice is welcome.

Old 09-22-2021, 07:11 AM

596 posts, read 818,446 times
Do you have a tow hitch on your SUV? What's the tow capacity? Have you considered renting a uhaul trailer to tow instead of towing the car? That might be more manageable.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:32 AM

12,414 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
I'm now deep in the weeds of packing. Even though I'm not planning on taking much the boxes are multiplying. What I haven't decided on yet is how to move everything, and I could use some advice.

Today I'm leaning towards renting a U-haul and towing my SUV on one of their flat-bed trailers. I'd have to add on at least an extra day to compensate for having to drive slower, but that's not what's holding me back. First of all, I've never driven a truck. But that doesn't mean I can't, just that I'd have to get used to it. Do you think towing the 4,000 lb beast would be difficult? And then there's parking every night. Yup, that concerns me.

Another option would be to pack the car with what I'll need for the winter and hire a Pods type carrier for the rest. The ones I've looked at are all expensive, but maybe that's the way to go. I can put my things in the attic of the house I'll be staying in, so that would eliminate the hefty monthly storage fees. Although I don't want to use Pods itself since it only goes as far as Portland, and then you have to hire movers to take everything to the final destination.

So what do you think? Any and all advice is welcome.
You can ask UHaul what truck that would be appropriate to cart your belongings and tow your SUV behind on the flat-bed trailer. The trailer itself will add weight to the tow rig, but they know that.

If you haven't driven a truck, or towed much, it could be biting off more than you can chew to do both. I am no expert, but trucks are clumsy to maneuver, and when making turns their length requires a bigger turning radius - you need to account for that or risk going over the curb (usually okay) or hitting something (less okay) on the inside corner. Adding a trailers will make the rig longer and more difficult, and the way to work the steering wheel when backing up can be counterintuitive and requires some practice to be decent with. Maybe you can practice a little?

Another alternative would be to just drive the truck with your stuff and ship your SUV - lots of vehicle shipping services can do it. It will of course be more expensive, but would cut your risks of things going south on the voyage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine