Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 11:25 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
GreenGene - how often do you need to dump the ash, clean the burn pot on that Harmon stove?
I empty and clean mine about every 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 12:01 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,450,481 times
Quote:
GreenGene - how often do you need to dump the ash, clean the burn pot on that Harmon stove?
Each day after using the pellet stove I clean out the burn pot and clean the glass window of the door. It doesn't take long to brush the ash into the ash pan below. Every 3 to 4 weeks I use an old paint brush to move any ash collected on the chamber sides, back, and top back into the ash pan. Technically I don't need to clean out the burn pot as often as I do - newly-produced ash will just push the old ash out of the burn pot and down to the ash pan automatically.

I just dumped the ash pan this morning - first time this season. And each time I dump the ash, and while the ash pan is removed from the stove, I vacuum the sides, back, top, and bottom of the belly of the stove.

I don't know how many times I do this each fall/winter/spring - I'm guessing four more times this season. I suspect we use ours a bit more than we really need to, but when I'm sitting there reading or watching TV, I like to be comfortable, you know? We have 2+ tons of pellets on hand - I'm anticipating a fairly comfortable winter.

Old 01-06-2022, 11:35 AM

2,676 posts, read 2,629,828 times
For those of you who burn pellets in a wood stove, do you have a pellet basket for your stove? My understanding is pellets burn hotter than wood and can damage a wood stove without a basket.

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2022, 11:54 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
For those of you who burn pellets in a wood stove, do you have a pellet basket for your stove? My understanding is pellets burn hotter than wood and can damage a wood stove without a basket.

Thanks!
There have been a few times when I have had a bag of pellets here. I think one time my Dw was told they would make good cat litter [pellets do not make good cat litter]. Another time someone gifted me a bag.

As a result a few times I have tried to shovel a small quantity of pellets onto a roaring fire inside my woodstove.

It did not work.

Pellets like coal need a fairly specific dynamic before they will burn.

You mentioned a basket, that could be the missing factor.

Fortunately, there are non-electric pellet stoves on the market, so I can see where pellets might be useful in Maine.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:59 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,840 times
2 things going on:

Like coal, they are much more concentrated in mass. They need to at least partially burn from the bottom with some sort of grid or holes underneath to let the ash drop down; if they burn only from the top down, the ash produced at the top smothers the remaining pellets below. That is one thing that the burn basket in a wood stove does.

The matter of more concentrated heat is what can damage a wood stove. That is the 2nd thing..... keeps the higher temperatures away from the wood stove's interior surfaces.

Old 01-10-2022, 11:48 AM

441 posts, read 440,427 times
I don't have a pellet stove but I find this interesting. I had no idea about the exhaust fan turning off and filling the house with smoke.

My friend has one they use it to supplement their propane gas. They live in western PA so usually snowy and cold in the winter.

How much (on average) is a bag of pellets and how long does it last? I suppose it would depend on how cold it is .

Thanks

Old 01-10-2022, 12:07 PM

I do not have a pellet stove.

My understanding of them is the convenience factor. On your way home from work, you can stop at a hardware store or a grocery store and pickup two bags, very convenient. When you get home, you pour one bag into the pellet stove hopper.

The hopper can hold one bag worth of pellets at a time. ideally that should be enough for 12 to 24 hours.

Old 01-10-2022, 05:10 PM

12,470 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I do not have a pellet stove.

My understanding of them is the convenience factor. On your way home from work, you can stop at a hardware store or a grocery store and pickup two bags, very convenient. When you get home, you pour one bag into the pellet stove hopper.

The hopper can hold one bag worth of pellets at a time. ideally that should be enough for 12 to 24 hours.
The bad thing about pellet stoves is they (almost all) have electric controls and so need electricity. But the good thing about them is that they have electric controls and automatically adjust fuel feed rate and air intake level under thermostatic control to your desired set point. They also don't require the operator to split wood or kindling, and produce less ash and less creosote. Units with a big hopper can take two bags of pellets at a time. Definitely costs more to feed, but is less work than a wood stove.

Old 01-10-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
The bad thing about pellet stoves is they (almost all) have electric controls and so need electricity.
Only if you choose to buy an electric model.

Quote:
... They also don't require the operator to split wood or kindling, and produce less ash and less creosote. Units with a big hopper can take two bags of pellets at a time. Definitely costs more to feed, but is less work than a wood stove.

Old 01-11-2022, 05:54 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,897,065 times
If you are going to have insurance on your home, your heat source needs to meet the requirements of the insurance company. Some friends gave up their wood stove for a pellet stove because of insurance. I don't have all the details. Insurance companies seem to have more and more requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine