Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:37 PM

48,181 posts, read 22,028,673 times

Advertisements

We recently had a person post a question on the Maine Forum looking for advice and assistance as to re-locating to Maine. He lacked any means of support. He wanted direction to a homeless shelter and suggested that thus far in his 19 years he had failed to meet any standard of maturity and self sufficiency and was a total and absolute failure as an individual and a citizen, and wondered if Mainers were ready and interested in supporting him and taking him to their collective bussom and somehow redeeming him and making it "all better"!

Typical of the Maine character, he got generous amounts of suggestions and guidance, but he also received a dose of reality. "No, we do not want to rescue you or support you. There is nothing about your story that puts a claim against our resources or puts us in your indebtedness." This was all communicated in the most respectful and compassionate of manner.

The young man retreated with a sarcastic and non-imaginative or cogent response; yet he mustered a surly departure. "All's well that ends well." He failed to appreciate or comprehend the effort that went into many of the responses.

I want to take this oppurtunity to say I am pleased and proud of the Maine forum community. In many ways, you showed what Maine is all about. A willingness to help those who display a willingness to help themselves but an unwillingness to be duped or to sustain or reward inadequacy of personality or effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 10:34 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,688,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
We recently had a person post a question on the Maine Forum looking for advice and assistance as to re-locating to Maine. He lacked any means of support. He wanted direction to a homeless shelter and suggested that thus far in his 19 years he had failed to meet any standard of maturity and self sufficiency and was a total and absolute failure as an individual and a citizen, and wondered if Mainers were ready and interested in supporting him and taking him to their collective bussom and somehow redeeming him and making it "all better"!

Typical of the Maine character, he got generous amounts of suggestions and guidance, but he also received a dose of reality. "No, we do not want to rescue you or support you. There is nothing about your story that puts a claim against our resources or puts us in your indebtedness." This was all communicated in the most respectful and compassionate of manner.

The young man retreated with a sarcastic and non-imaginative or cogent response; yet he mustered a surly departure. "All's well that ends well." He failed to appreciate or comprehend the effort that went into many of the responses.

I want to take this oppurtunity to say I am pleased and proud of the Maine forum community. In many ways, you showed what Maine is all about. A willingness to help those who display a willingness to help themselves but an unwillingness to be duped or to sustain or reward inadequacy of personality or effort.
Well put elston! Even though the BS meter was popping a spring with that guy everyone was polite to him until he began to totally disregard the advice we were giving him. He Direct Messaged me with some real off the wall comments and personal attacks about how I had no respect for people in need etc. At that point I washed my hands of him. He was treated, as you pointed out,with honesty and respect until he showed he deserved neither.

Last edited by Maineah; 03-18-2008 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-18-2008, 11:10 PM

323 posts, read 994,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post

The young man retreated with a sarcastic and non-imaginative or cogent
response; yet he mustered a surly departure. "All's well that ends well." He failed to appreciate or comprehend the effort that went into many of the responses.

This was the first post I read but I wanted to say I love you Elston! You rock! I dont' even need to read more, I just know you are so honest and I luv ya!

Old 03-19-2008, 12:49 AM

9,438 posts, read 11,195,393 times
Nice post, Elston.

I understand San Francisco is a homeless haven, with tent cities and shopping carts issued for the underworked.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:41 AM

474 posts, read 1,418,472 times
Thanks Elston! The last thing Maine needs is a bunch of freeloading, unemployed drifters! Crime would soon follow!

Old 03-19-2008, 03:27 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,261,881 times
i believe someone reading the maine threads, can see an outpouring of kindness, and thoughtfulness, to other posters, (in times of need), a misguided opportunist may have tried to "play" on that kindness, in hopes someone may send him money.

if that was the case, im glad the troll was seen for what he was.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:38 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,500,394 times
I was following those posts, but chose not to enter a reply as we are not yet in Maine. But just for the record - don't send him to Rhode Island, either! Something in the California mindset just doesn't 'fit' right in New England. You need to keep busy and work hard if you want to survive in these cold climes. We can and should help each other, but it's nice to get help back when in need. We won't get anything in return from this guy, not even a Thank-You!

Old 03-19-2008, 05:27 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,471,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkaye View Post
This was the first post I read but I wanted to say I love you Elston! You rock! I dont' even need to read more, I just know you are so honest and I luv ya!

I think it's pretty fair to say we all love Elston. He just has a knack for being nice and saying the right thing. Eloquent is Elston. Kindness is his nature. Genuine is his personality. Ya, we love him.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:40 AM

48,181 posts, read 22,028,673 times
Those are very kind words and sentiments and they mean a lot! I have come to consider you all as friends and cyber-neighbors and hold you and our forum in my affection. Now to get back to the hurly burly of the business of the Maine forum....Thank You.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:11 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,724,425 times
Just wanted add my kudos to Elston. I read that thread but I also chose not to to respond there was nothing I could have added But what I also recognized was that this 19 year old.....who has some how hit rock bottom, had exhausted all means of looking for pitty in his home town (No doubt he's been told by people, who actually probably do care for him, grow up & get a life), and has now turned his sights to running away to Maine(I'll show them!!). What he got was a respectfull dose of reality. A lesson far easier to learn from a computer screen then in reality. Maybe you aint got it soo bad.

Not that I was bad kid or anything....but my dad would once in while remind me....if you think its hard here, wait until your OUT THERE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: