Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 02:45 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times

Advertisements

Thanks. I was elected to the Verona Planning board 43 years ago, which is when I first got involved in this rural cleansing campaign. It isn't rambling. It is history. You need to be speedy to catch actual history. Edit, copy; Edit, paste; File save. Then there is the PM feature.

I hope SmalleyGirl5 got to see my original post. It had to do with the economy of Maine, the town of Drew, private enterprise and the spirit of rural Maine people. I need to start a file of my posts as written for the folks who ask, "What did you say?"

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 01-29-2017 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 07:20 AM

In December LUPC issued one permit after the fact. Somebody added on to his camp without passing go. Maybe he applied, had a week of vacation as his only chance to do the addition in 2016 and just built it. One issue is the septic system. If you choose a 2 bedroom septic system because it is a whole lot less expensive than a 3 bedroom system, do NOT apply for an additional bedroom later or they will make you install a bigger septic system. Just call your extra room a study, office or studio. (LUPC likes studios.) It makes no difference that you hold annual family reunions with 27 people at your camp. That extra bedroom is an issue best avoided.

http://www.maine.gov/dacf/lupc/repor...edWithURL.html

Old 01-30-2017, 09:19 AM

973 posts, read 2,381,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
In December LUPC issued one permit after the fact. Somebody added on to his camp without passing go. Maybe he applied, had a week of vacation as his only chance to do the addition in 2016 and just built it. One issue is the septic system. If you choose a 2 bedroom septic system because it is a whole lot less expensive than a 3 bedroom system, do NOT apply for an additional bedroom later or they will make you install a bigger septic system. Just call your extra room a study, office or studio. (LUPC likes studios.) It makes no difference that you hold annual family reunions with 27 people at your camp. That extra bedroom is an issue best avoided.

Commission and Staff Permitting Decisions (rptSignedWithURL)
I'm not sure how sound your advice is. Most people look at their possessions as something they can turn into other assets if need be. Being able to sell a piece of property and get full value is something most would recognize as a worthy goal. It might not be quite so easy to sell your 3 bedroom cottage that has an approved septic design for a two bedroom palace. OK, don't tell anybody. Some buyers are quite thorough in their research. I definitely wouldn't want to be advertising a piece of property as three bedroom knowing the septic was only approved for two. Down the road I see all sorts of issues that can be coming one's way. Heaven forbid that property was advertised and sold that way. I see lawyers gathering on the horizon. None of this even addresses the reason for the septic design matching the structure is to keep septic wastes from entering the water table. That alone is reason to comply.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:10 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Looking at older homes in Maine, I commonly see instances where people have expanded their homes. Last night I was invited to a house party and given a tour. Since they have lived in this home, they have walled in a porch and made it into a lounge. They extended out one side of the house and added a huge kitchen and bathroom, while upstairs the addition gave them a new bedroom.

It seems to me that expanding homes is fairly commonly in Maine. I have seen many homes where the home-owner has done this.

Do all of these people expand their septic systems? I doubt it.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:16 AM

973 posts, read 2,381,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It seems to me that expanding homes is fairly commonly in Maine. I have seen many homes where the home-owner has done this.

Still doesn't make it legal and will potentially cause problems selling the property.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:28 AM

Hey, SmalleyGirl5, The Maine DOT is going to replace the Mattawamkeag River bridge in Drew to the tune of $2,000,000 this year! It's about time. I have seen the underside of that bridge from a canoe. Spooky. It's a pretty bridge, but it is falling apart underneath. I wonder if they will put a one lane pontoon bridge downstream of it while the new one is built. It's a long way around if you want to go to Wytopitlock.

http://maine.gov/mdot/projects/workp..._2018_2019.pdf

Old 01-31-2017, 02:20 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

By the septic, the number of lines is determined by how many bedrooms the home has. Whether or not that is code here in Maine, I am not sure. As our septic guy explained, rule of thumb is 3 bedroom or less ( factoring actual number of people in the home) can vary- but in general- clean out should be every 5 years for up to 3 bedroom- 4 people, and over every two years... I have not read any other guide lines as it applies to extra rooms added in the home when it comes to septic.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:30 PM

The system is based on number of bedrooms and soil types on site.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:06 PM

10 posts, read 7,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalleyGirl5 View Post
Can anyone shed any light on the certificate of occupancy requirements in rural northern Maine for 2017? I live in Drew Plantation, Maine which has a population of 30 people if you REALLY STRETCH it.

Hello SmalleyGirl,

any news about how the things rolled out ? I just buy a plot of land on Drew Plnt. and I will be starting from scratch as you did, so any advice / hints / contacts will be highly appreciated.

Thnk you.
Faber

Old 11-20-2021, 11:26 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
[quote=FaberumHyperboreus;62349515]Hello SmalleyGirl,
any news about how the things rolled out ? I just buy a plot of land on Drew Plnt. and I will be starting from scratch as you did, so any advice / hints / contacts will be highly appreciated.
/quote]
Welcome! It's a nice remote town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine