Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 02:28 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,458,446 times

Advertisements

One more! As I reflect and remember the overwhelming feelings of wholeness I found in Maine, it makes the longing for "home" all that much stronger!

The people of Maine were incredibly pleasant. We thought it very unusual how happy all the locals seemed. I'm very observant, and noticed that everywhere we went, people were happy, smiling, conversing amongst themselves, etc. Every single person we talked to on our visit praised their hometown and state, for that matter. We were told countless times, "You're going to love it here!" This, by the way, was from the people who "can't find jobs" and are very unhappy about the "tremendous tax burden" the state endures. As I knew all along, there are always going to be nay sayers in any group. I think it speaks volumes that a people who are supposed to be so oppressed can be so incredibly happy with their lives. The proof is in the pudding, and boy was it tasty in Maine!

Upon returning home and taking my first trip to the grocery store this morning, I was just so disappointed in the change of attitude! I saw more scowling faces and haughty mannerisms than I've ever noticed before. I assume I was used to the way things are here until experiencing something better. The cashier at the checkout didn't greet me or even look me in the eye, until having to ask a question about a purchase. Very disappointing! We were truly spoiled by Mainers and can't wait to get back there!! We want to mesh into our new community and have the opportunity to spoil other visitors to the area, so they, too, can know the meaning of "the way life should be." Joy, like sorrow, is contageous! I feel coming back into Texas that I just caught the sad-sack virus!! Gotta get outta here!

The other thing we observed was the cleanliness of the state. I've never visited such clean public facilities (of all sorts!) The further south we travelled on the way home, the dirtier things got, then finally culminated into disgusting filth when we hit Louisiana and Texas. Sad sad! I'm embarrased to call this place home. Even with the melting snow and muddddd that was EVERYWHERE, the floors were always clean! I don't know how you folks do it, but you'll have to teach me! Belfast Harbor Inn was older but very clean for a budget inn. It was a pleasant week staying there. The staff were overly helpful, and kept the hot coffee pouring and clean towels coming! It was very nice. It was helpful, I'm sure, that we were one of only a handful guests at this time of year. We'll go back there next time we visit. Even the oldest, most run down establishments we stopped in were clean. It was amazing. People in our neck of the woods have no pride in their surroundings, and it shows in the general maintenance and lack of upkeep. Likewise, it's abundantly obvious that Mainers love their home and love showing it off! Thanks for sharing with us.

Now, if anyone has any pics of Belfast or the mid-coast area after the snowfall over the weekend, can you send them to me? We were in the snow storm all the way through NH, Mass, CT, and NY, then still had dangerous driving conditions through NJ. It took us an extra day to get home, and everyone was exhausted, but the kids still kept saying, "We want to go back to Maine! We don't want to go home yet!!" Usually, when you're coming home from a trip, you can't wait to get back and settle into your own bed and clean up your laundry and all. I came home with sadness and a feeling of loss. It was the oddest thing! I believe in having a spiritual connection to places and people, and I definitely experienced that in Maine. A part of my heart was left there, and I will be back soon to reunite with it! I came home wanting to do up the laundry and repack it all to head back north.

We are starting immediately to prepare our home for sale and getting our finances in order for our move next year. DH is in Fire Certification class and needs to finish that out before we move to open more doors for employment there, and there are some minor updates and redecorating that we need to do to the house for it to sell easier. We'll spend the rest of this year working on getting all ours ducks in a row, and the house will go on the market after the first of next year. I hope it sells between March and May so the kids can finish out the last couple of months of school and then we'll move. But if it's sooner, we'll just come on up anyway and they can finish the year there. I don't think they'll have any complaints!

Thanks for your awesome hospitality! We'll return the favor when we get there and get settled!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 02:31 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,498,495 times
Thank you NMLM that is exactly the kind of post I was hoping this thread would generate. Good story, and I know law enforcement guys, that sort of story would have haunted the trooper for his whole career.....what was your best stop, oh, I wrote a ticket to a speeding barber shop. (laughter fills the place-exactly as you describe
Thanks for that "call to Maine"

Old 01-27-2008, 02:32 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,941,094 times
El, that was a moving post. Very nice.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:49 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,891,015 times
El, great post and I loved reading back over your memories of Maine. I tried to rep you but of course got the "spread it around" message.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:55 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,417,383 times
Great Post El!! I enjoyed it.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:32 PM

3,471 posts, read 7,269,315 times
If you loved the clean public facilities, you must have some really foul places.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
If you loved the clean public facilities, you must have some really foul places.
You have no idea!

Old 01-27-2008, 03:59 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,498,495 times
Yep, its like, why put handles on toilets since nobody uses them anyway. El we have that in Florida too. In fact it is so bad here, we have to have 24 hour security at all rest areas in the state, Florida, that is.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:04 PM

I would pee in my pants before I'd enter a rest area bathroom after dark around here!

but......back to topic.......

Yes, I was quite impressed with the cleanliness of *all* facilities in Maine!

Old 01-27-2008, 04:07 PM

6,638 posts, read 13,594,942 times
"spread it around blah blah blah." Lots of points here folks. This is a great thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine