Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:17 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,897,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Don't plan to drive after the fireworks (if they still do that). I used to have to work there the evening of July 4th every year and the drive back to Bangor was TERRIBLE.
yes, they still have fireworks...would you want to eat at the restaurant with a long line or the one where you don't have to wait. There's a reason for the long line of traffic...Bar Harbor is the place to be on July 4... you just gotta have a little patience...if you're in a hurry to get off the island via Rt. 3...I jump out of the line in Ellsworth so can't speak for the line of traffic between Ellsworth and Bangor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 12:45 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,202,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
yes, they still have fireworks...would you want to eat at the restaurant with a long line or the one where you don't have to wait. There's a reason for the long line of traffic...Bar Harbor is the place to be on July 4... you just gotta have a little patience...if you're in a hurry to get off the island via Rt. 3...I jump out of the line in Ellsworth so can't speak for the line of traffic between Ellsworth and Bangor...
Well, if it's worth it for you, enjoy! But to me fireworks are fireworks. Bangor has a great display and no two hour traffic jam afterwards. I was mainly expressing how nice they are, if you don't have to drive anywhere afterwards.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Well, if it's worth it for you, enjoy! But to me fireworks are fireworks. Bangor has a great display and no two hour traffic jam afterwards. I was mainly expressing how nice they are, if you don't have to drive anywhere afterwards.
Staying overnight wouldn't be a bad idea. Sometimes I just sit in the car or go for a walk for an hour or so after the fireworks and then leave. My brother used to live in Brewer and he would tell me the same thing you're saying I stood on the Chamberlain Bridge and watched them one time, but I don't think they were on the 4th.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 06-14-2012 at 02:44 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 06:13 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,534,456 times
Quote:
Staying overnight wouldn't be a bad idea. Sometimes I just sit in the car or go for a walk for an hour or so after the fireworks and then leave. My brother used to live in Brewer and he would tell me the same thing you're saying I stood on the Chamberlain Bridge and watched them one time, but I don't think they were on the 4th.

I always stay the next night over.

Parade in the A.M.
Shop in the afternoon-evening
Then around 7:30 dinner/cocktails at the Bar Harbor Inn on the lawn.
Dessert W/fireworks!

Does not get any better!

Old 06-16-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
I always stay the next night over.

Parade in the A.M.
Shop in the afternoon-evening
Then around 7:30 dinner/cocktails at the Bar Harbor Inn on the lawn.
Dessert W/fireworks!

Does not get any better!
We always go to the parade. Then we either go to the seafood festival at the ball field, or eat at Jordan's Restaurant, or go to Ocean Drive Take Out or have a cook out at Thompson's Island. Sometimes we take a ride on Ocean Drive (Park Loop Road), stop at various locations a long the way. Later in the evening, we usually get take out from Epi's or Rosalie's and have a picnic in the park....maybe ice cream at the pier, people watch, dog watch, walk on the shore path, and wait for the fireworks. The Bar Harbor Inn is a great choice. ahhh Maine--the way life should be or should I say ahhh Bah Hah Bah (Baa Haa Baa) the way the 4th should be.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:10 AM

Finding a fishing boat trip should be easy. The choice seems to be a four hour trip inshore or an all day trip offshore (deep sea). Enjoy your trip.

Maine Fishing Charters Deep Sea Family Trips Saltwater Fishing Haddock
Fish'N'Trips Charters
Fishing and Diving Charters - Maine Charters - Maine Fishing
index
Things to Do in Freeport

Bar Harbor Chamber Of Commerce Bar Harbor Maine Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce Maine

Old 06-16-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
We always go to the parade. Then we either go to the seafood festival at the ball field, or eat at Jordan's Restaurant, or go to Ocean Drive Take Out or have a cook out at Thompson's Island. Sometimes we take a ride on Ocean Drive (Park Loop Road), stop at various locations a long the way. Later in the evening, we usually get take out from Epi's or Rosalie's and have a picnic in the park....maybe ice cream at the pier, people watch, dog watch, walk on the shore path, and wait for the fireworks. The Bar Harbor Inn is a great choice. ahhh Maine--the way life should be or should I say ahhh Bah Hah Bah (Baa Haa Baa) the way the 4th should be.
Lots of food there MaineGirl. I think they've got a 5 K (or something) that weekend also. Not that you'll see me there lol.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Lots of food there MaineGirl. I think they've got a 5 K (or something) that weekend also. Not that you'll see me there lol.
I guess you think I'll be needing a 5K...lol...four growing boys always seem to be hungry/eat alot...and somehow manage to stay slim and trim; one of them runs track and cross country so might be interested in a 5K We usually skip dessert unless it's the brownie dessert at the Jordan Pond House and then it's the main/only course. Some go there for popovers. The boys go for brownie dessert....of course, I get salad...and a walk around the pond.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 06-17-2012 at 06:59 AM..

Old 06-17-2012, 07:23 AM

I'd make fun of you, but I'm going out for a Father's Day banana split at Giffords. The race in Bar Harbor is here: MDI YMCA Fall 5K and is in September and not July as I had thought.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I'd make fun of you, but I'm going out for a Father's Day banana split at Giffords. The race in Bar Harbor is here: MDI YMCA Fall 5K and is in September and not July as I had thought.
Yes, I knew that but figured I'd be kind to you. Enjoy your banana split and happy father's day. You can make the 5K in September and won't have to be concerned about traffic.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 06-17-2012 at 08:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine