Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:56 PM

332 posts, read 991,416 times

Advertisements

Eh...LURC be damned, I won't let them spoil my fun. I get that they're a PITA to deal with and have some crazy ideas, but I'm pretty good at beating bureaucrats at their own game being a civil servant myself Besides, coming from NJ, Maine might as well be the Wild West. The overregulation, taxes, and bureaucracy here is the stuff of legend. So long as I can find a nice 80 or so acre piece with some water, ATV trails, and good hunting ground within a reasonable distance I'll be plenty happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 02:04 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,552,191 times
80 acres with water frontage won't be exactly cheap.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:05 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deere110 View Post
Eh...LURC be damned, I won't let them spoil my fun. I get that they're a PITA to deal with and have some crazy ideas, but I'm pretty good at beating bureaucrats at their own game being a civil servant myself Besides, coming from NJ, Maine might as well be the Wild West. The overregulation, taxes, and bureaucracy here is the stuff of legend. So long as I can find a nice 80 or so acre piece with some water, ATV trails, and good hunting ground within a reasonable distance I'll be plenty happy.
I wish you luck.

I was able to find riverfrontage land for fairly reasonable.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:18 PM

332 posts, read 991,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
80 acres with water frontage won't be exactly cheap.
I meant "near," not on

Old 01-14-2012, 12:01 AM

468 posts, read 759,289 times
Ten minutes outside of town, I landed on 55 acres with a stream and a pond, 10 acres of which is presently tilled and rented to a potato/grain farmer and neighbor, another 25 of the 55 acres is forested, with the balance in old pasture, a small, 1920s house that needed work (but also had what had to be just about the first poured, and still nice, concrete foundation in the area), and barn/garage that also needed work for $95K, but I'm up in The County.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:15 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltrams View Post
Ten minutes outside of town, I landed on 55 acres with a stream and a pond, 10 acres of which is presently tilled and rented to a potato/grain farmer and neighbor, another 25 of the 55 acres is forested, with the balance in old pasture, a small, 1920s house that needed work (but also had what had to be just about the first poured, and still nice, concrete foundation in the area), and barn/garage that also needed work for $95K, but I'm up in The County.
Sounds good to me

Old 01-14-2012, 10:38 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,569,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I got my Guv'nah at Marden's!

There ain't nothingn like a bargain!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:33 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,648,230 times
We bought an 'in town' lot with an acre of land as moving to Maine was traumatic enough for my teenagers without moving to the backwoods. The lake is right at the bottom of the street, we can walk the dogs around the block and chat with neighbors as we go... You don't have to be in the middle of the woods to enjoy Maine!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:51 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,657,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
We bought an 'in town' lot with an acre of land as moving to Maine was traumatic enough for my teenagers without moving to the backwoods. The lake is right at the bottom of the street, we can walk the dogs around the block and chat with neighbors as we go... You don't have to be in the middle of the woods to enjoy Maine!

I hear you-I have lived in Maine for 40 years and have always lived in town and would not have it any other way.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:59 PM

157 posts, read 327,970 times
Question LURC, what is it, implications for Maine buyers?

So being a CD "lurker" and potential Maine real estate buyer, can anyone please very briefly explain what the LURC proposal is and how it may potentially affect awayer real estate buyers/owners? I was going to just do a goggle keyword search for LURC but thought hearing perspectives from locals might further enhance my understanding.
If someone has a link that would help too.

Somehow I doubt Maine's legislators are any more corrupt than ours in Maryland!

Thx all, BTW it's FEB 1st and was in the mid 60s today, sure makes winter a lot more bearable.

PS No, we were not planning to reside in Maine during winters, I am a wuss that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine