Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 07:09 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,659,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Sacrilege!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, I find I can actually KEEP wine in the house this way. I am only using a tiny, "dorm size" fridge... and with a leaf lettuce, a head lettuce, a bunch of celery, a carrot or two, usually part of a cuke and a green pepper, some cheese, eggs, salsa, catsup, saurkraut, a tiny jar of my homemade jam and a small pkg of meat usually inhabiting the thing, it is FULL to over flowing.

I do not think a "regular size" bottle of wine would fit, even with little else... It is not fitting that I drink an entire bottle in an evening (either for my liver or my budget...) and the tiny bottles are way too pricey.

The boxed wines keep just fine on top of the fridge, and I can have a glass of vin très ordinaire any time I want.

That is not to say I do not like GOOD wine... but more that I am unwilling to abuse it.

Have I redeemed myself at all??

Old 01-14-2008, 07:15 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,091,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Well, I find I can actually KEEP wine in the house this way. I am only using a tiny, "dorm size" fridge... and with a leaf lettuce, a head lettuce, a bunch of celery, a carrot or two, usually part of a cuke and a green pepper, some cheese, eggs, salsa, catsup, saurkraut, a tiny jar of my homemade jam and a small pkg of meat usually inhabiting the thing, it is FULL to over flowing.

I do not think a "regular size" bottle of wine would fit, even with little else... It is not fitting that I drink an entire bottle in an evening (either for my liver or my budget...) and the tiny bottles are way too pricey.

The boxed wines keep just fine on top of the fridge, and I can have a glass of vin très ordinaire any time I want.

That is not to say I do not like GOOD wine... but more that I am unwilling to abuse it.

Have I redeemed myself at all??
Absolutely. Wine opened and left in the bottle too long will oxidise and get ruined, wasted (unless one wants to drink *really* bad wine). The boxed wines with their inner collapsible packaging prevent the entry of air, so that is obviously the best solution for your situation. Enjoy.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:28 PM

380 posts, read 1,179,334 times
The first time I saw boxed wine, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how they fit three bottles of wine in the box. "Are they tiny bottles?" I asked my friend. She laughed and laughed and laughed. "How is the little tap attached to all three bottles?" I asked. And she laughed and laughed. And then we got drunk.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:58 PM

37,489 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
Good? Really? Now I'm going to have to try it, just to see what it's like.

Have you done any fermenting before?
Yes I have brewed wine. I once had a subscription to the magazine 'Zymurgy'. But I really do enjoy making beer, I just can not drink that quantity. I still have the stuff including a pressure keg. I have also done a little stilling [enough to wear-out my wife's pressure cooker].

Old 01-14-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Yes I have brewed wine. I once had a subscription to the magazine 'Zymurgy'. But I really do enjoy making beer, I just can not drink that quantity. I still have the stuff including a pressure keg. I have also done a little stilling [enough to wear-out my wife's pressure cooker].
Quantity? 5 gallons is only 52 bottles, and they'll keep for a while. In fact, most of us [who brew] are guilty of drinking the last one just about the time when they are ready to start being consumed.

Maybe we can trade ale for cider.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:10 PM

48,178 posts, read 22,026,263 times
This evening I was stopped by two smiling young women who asked me "Are You Santa?" We chatted and I told them that to those who believe, "Yes I am Santa." They told me that they wanted to hire me to be Santa next year. (I remembered something Elcarim said about how much they make an hour. Wow, I could use that! These ladies have a business. (Of course I do not plan to be here next year!)
I admonished them to be very very good and wished them good luck and went on with my work. This being mistaken for the jolly old elf, is becoming a regular occurance.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:25 AM

380 posts, read 1,179,334 times
Quote:
Quantity? 5 gallons is only 52 bottles, and they'll keep for a while. In fact, most of us [who brew] are guilty of drinking the last one just about the time when they are ready to start being consumed.

Maybe we can trade ale for cider.
My boyfriend used to brew beer. It was honestly the best I have ever tasted. When cooking, it made the house smell like fresh baked bread. We move every 6 months to a year, so he got tired of lugging around the carbouys (not sure how to spell that). Plus, one can't have big glass jugs of beer around when showing a house. I miss that beer....

Old 01-15-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
My boyfriend used to brew beer. It was honestly the best I have ever tasted. When cooking, it made the house smell like fresh baked bread. We move every 6 months to a year, so he got tired of lugging around the carbouys (not sure how to spell that). Plus, one can't have big glass jugs of beer around when showing a house. I miss that beer....
I've introduced many people to the pleasure of drinking *GOOD* beer (ale), even people who only ever had Bud/Miller/Coors and told me "Ewwwww, I don't like beer, it tastes nasty." They have mine and say "This is beer??? This is GOOD!!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
When I was in my 20's, I dated a guy who owned a reptile store. Weird, I know. (Him, not me!) Among other strange critters, this guy sold those hallucinogenic toads for quite a lot of money. I seem to recall they were about $40 each. I always wondered what happened to those poor little toads after they were used for their intended purpose. I also wondered if the little stoner dudes buying them waited until they got home, or ran out to their cars to catch their buzz right away. It's kind of funny that they probably got sick, because who could they complain to about it? "DUDE - THAT GUY SOLD ME SOME BAD TOAD"
Moving this from the "Want Maine" thread before we get told to stand in the corner...only ONE species of Bufo toad will provide the high (to humans), the rest do nothing. The secretion must be obtained, dried and *smoked* (which bypasses the MAO system by introducing the tryptamines through the lungs as opposed to the digestive tract) in order to get the psychedelic effect.

One does not kill or injure the toad to obtain the secretion, it is "milked", leaving the toad alive and unharmed. After about one month, the toad will have regenerated its supply and can be milked again.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:43 AM

874 posts, read 1,857,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
This evening I was stopped by two smiling young women who asked me "Are You Santa?" We chatted and I told them that to those who believe, "Yes I am Santa." They told me that they wanted to hire me to be Santa next year. (I remembered something Elcarim said about how much they make an hour. Wow, I could use that! These ladies have a business. (Of course I do not plan to be here next year!)
I admonished them to be very very good and wished them good luck and went on with my work. This being mistaken for the jolly old elf, is becoming a regular occurance.
I was thinking of you when I read a book to my 2 yo yesterday. The farmer in the story had a big white beard and no matter how often I said his name "Farmer" something or other my son insisted he was Santa Claus. I was thinking you must get a lot of that.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:43 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,757,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
How wonderful!!! Actually your situation is far better off than being mistaken for an evil elf ( ie Doby from Harry Potter). However when you go out socially, you may need to disguise yourself and go incognito.

Think of all the moonlighting positions you could accept next year!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine