Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:08 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,322,122 times

Advertisements

But with Florida turning into a wasteland desert of huge heat because of the myth of global warming, Maine will be come the new North carolina and it will be for every 4 retirees moving in 2 kids are moving out of state to find work, and then only one because the other one will be servicing the aging retired population of baby boomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,675,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
But with Florida turning into a wasteland desert of huge heat because of the myth of global warming, Maine will be come the new North carolina and it will be for every 4 retirees moving in 2 kids are moving out of state to find work, and then only one because the other one will be servicing the aging retired population of baby boomers.
Global warming is a Myth. It's no warmer now than it ever has been. Florida has always been hot. I have air conditioners for our bedrooms which I bought in 2001. I have not installed them in the last four summers as they have not been necessary. The over use of air conditioning in warmer states have given people the illusion it's hotter than it used to be. They go out from a 75 degree house into the 90 degree heat and it feels like 110 to them. They are "conditioned" to lower temperatures. There are poor people living in Lousiana and Alabama with no access to air conditioning who will tell you it's just as hot as it always has been. They don't sit in air conditioning all day so they are used to the heat. I know this from a friend of mine who lives there among the Cajuns of Southern Lousiana.
Perhaps people will move here as they perceive it to be more temperate though many don't stay. I still have to believe the isolation, cold, and length of the winter in Maine dissolves away the utopian feeling after a few winters.
Bars do well in the winter around here.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:02 PM

26 posts, read 52,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Global warming is a Myth. It's no warmer now than it ever has been. Florida has always been hot. I have air conditioners for our bedrooms which I bought in 2001. I have not installed them in the last four summers as they have not been necessary. The over use of air conditioning in warmer states have given people the illusion it's hotter than it used to be. They go out from a 75 degree house into the 90 degree heat and it feels like 110 to them. They are "conditioned" to lower temperatures. There are poor people living in Lousiana and Alabama with no access to air conditioning who will tell you it's just as hot as it always has been. They don't sit in air conditioning all day so they are used to the heat. I know this from a friend of mine who lives there among the Cajuns of Southern Lousiana.
Perhaps people will move here as they perceive it to be more temperate though many don't stay. I still have to believe the isolation, cold, and length of the winter in Maine dissolves away the utopian feeling after a few winters.
Bars do well in the winter around here.
Maineah - Sounds like you're talking about me. I live in Louisiana and have been lurking on city data for a couple years now (just recently signed up) reading Maine's forum. I do agree with you about global warming. Just like in the 70's it was global cooling and was suppose to be the next Ice Age. But people do die here in the south because of the heat. Especially elderly people with out air conditioning. My granny has never had a/c in her home but she lives on a lake with a nice breeze. Although it says our temp is let's say 95 degrees it is really 105 with the heat index. If you don't have a/c you'll be dripping with sweat all day and dehydrated. We do want to move out of LA mostly because of the heat and we head to Maine for vacation each winter. But we like Maine for many other reasons. We have visited/considered other states like NM, NE, NH and WA. But none compare to ME. I want to see if we could survive many winters......won't know till we try.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:18 PM

164 posts, read 353,621 times
When my husband was beginning his search for a job in Maine, not many companies would talk to him, he did get hired, but that was because we flew up here and he wrote in his resume that we were moving with or without a job to Maine. Now that we are here he has had a few more companies contact him. Good luck in your job search.

We moved here from Florida, we wanted to be back to what we consider closer to home, NY and VT. We have been here since Nov. 9th. 2009 and so far so good our two daughters moved here with us and attend college here one on the GI bill the other from loans, and mom & dad. I hope to believe if we educate our kids here, they will want to stay here and that will bring jobs here.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:38 AM

177 posts, read 530,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglesjs View Post
When my husband was beginning his search for a job in Maine, not many companies would talk to him, he did get hired, but that was because we flew up here and he wrote in his resume that we were moving with or without a job to Maine. Now that we are here he has had a few more companies contact him. Good luck in your job search.

We moved here from Florida, we wanted to be back to what we consider closer to home, NY and VT. We have been here since Nov. 9th. 2009 and so far so good our two daughters moved here with us and attend college here one on the GI bill the other from loans, and mom & dad. I hope to believe if we educate our kids here, they will want to stay here and that will bring jobs here.
Good point there. I can't exactly say that I'd be moving there without having a job set for me, but I can say that I'm looking to relocate and have no problem making my way up to Maine to meet in person. I've seen from other peoples' experiences that offering to make a long trip to meet for a face-to-face interview definitely helps. Shows commitment.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:11 PM

177 posts, read 530,700 times
Well, I've found a potential company that looks interesting. Does anyone here know anything about Wings for Children and Families, Inc.? They're a case management agency focusing on helping children with emotional disturbances and their families with whatever their needs may me. My educational background, plus some of my casework experience with the Red Cross, is relevant. Plus, they're based in Bangor, which would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: