Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:16 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times

Advertisements

My daughter and her family are still considering a move to Maine. I am the designated researcher.

- When property taxes are listed on a real estate sheet, is that amount "at this moment" and then it goes up when the property transfers to new owner (you)?

- She read on a "taxes by state" website that senior citizens can reduce what they pay by being in a lower income category and/or by volunteering (something like $700 reduction on volunteering) - any more info on this?

- If one lives within a regular town (not urban) with town water and sewer, does one pay just the town/city tax or that plus a county tax?

- Are there many "override" pressures in Maine (not sure you all have capped rates)?

- I guess I should also ask about excise tax on car. Hers is a 2005 Toyota Corolla. What can she expect to pay annually on tax? They don't have any boats, etc)

Thanks for any info, and if there's one agency that answers all please let us know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 11:39 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
All Maine counties assess a tax on the towns. You only pay a tax to the town. The town pays taxes to the county.
Please feel free to check the state website in regards to excise taxes.
The property taxes listed are usually the latest taxes from the town. The taxes charged to the new owners, at the next tax time only go up if there is an increase in town taxes, or if there has been a re-evaluation. In most towns, the good old boy network has gone by the wayside.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:39 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
My daughter and her family are still considering a move to Maine. I am the designated researcher.

- When property taxes are listed on a real estate sheet, is that amount "at this moment" and then it goes up when the property transfers to new owner (you)?

Usually the amount of tax assessed for the prior year. Real estate sheets don't usually have the tax valuation itself listed. No increase if a property transfers. If not change in the town's rate or budget, no increase next year.

- She read on a "taxes by state" website that senior citizens can reduce what they pay by being in a lower income category and/or by volunteering (something like $700 reduction on volunteering) - any more info on this?

Maine has a homestead exemption, veteran's exemption and others. Ask your Tax dept in the town. They have all the forms.

- If one lives within a regular town (not urban) with town water and sewer, does one pay just the town/city tax or that plus a county tax?

"County taxes" are collected by the municipality to support the Sheriff's Dept., Registry of Deeds and other County level services. The "County" does not dictate what the municipalities do with their money. Water and sewer bills are municipal, and separate from property tax.

- Are there many "override" pressures in Maine (not sure you all have capped rates)?

It's been tried, but not caps yet.

- I guess I should also ask about excise tax on car. Hers is a 2005 Toyota Corolla. What can she expect to pay annually on tax? They don't have any boats, etc)

Too much. Ask your town office.

Thanks for any info, and if there's one agency that answers all please let us know.
Maine Revenue Services, Augusta, ME.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:44 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Taxes can vary greatly by town, so if you have a particular area/region you are searching, be sure to check all the neighboring towns- you can call the towns office for mill/assessment rates

Old 06-20-2010, 04:04 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times

No.

Seniors can get a reduction in the amount they pay per year. However, the amount owed builds. When the senior dies the town gets the money from the estate. If there is not enough left to cover the tax the town takes the property. The system allows seniors to live out their days in their own home.

Most towns bill water, sewer and property taxes separately. School, county and property taxes are combined in one bill.

We don't have that in Maine.

Excise taxes on vehicles drop every year until five years. A town clerk could tell you the tax on a Corolla.

That would be me. I can tell you the 2008 tax rate in any town in Maine. The 2009 rates have not been reported yet. They usually run a year or more behind.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:00 PM

Actually, the "2009" fiscal tax year ran from July 1, 2008 to June 30, 2009. The 2010 fiscal year ends at the end of this month, and the 2011 fiscal year begins July 1. Mil rates are set, along with valuations on or shortly after April 1 each year for the "current" tax year bills. Everyone's "2010" mil rate is already in place, I'm fairly certain. That's so they can send out tax bills in the next couple of months for "2010." Check into it, and I'll admit its been about 15 years since I was certified as a State Tax Assessor.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:33 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Don't get too anxious. Most districts have not even seen their proposed school budgets yet this year, much less voted on them. Tax rates cannot be computed until school budgets are approved.

Many towns are still trying to join a new district and don't even know what district they will be in. They must vote to join, but the district must also accept them. This whole chaotic situation is made worse by threatened penalties imposed by the Democrats.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:12 PM

I think Bangor claims its at 19.10/1000 or 18.10 a thousand for FY 2009. Hermon's commitment was done 9/9 of last year for 2009, with a mil rate (yaHOO!) of $11.00/$1000. I believe you'll find the commitments are done based on the legal necessity of declaring assessed valuations as of April 1 each year, and they get done late summer for the current fiscal year (2010) and the bills go out in September, as I recall, payable in two installments. Maybe some are lagging, but the State won't let them do that for very long without, yes, penalizing them. And I'll bet those nasty Democrats aren't the only ones that vote on the penalites for non compliance with laws that apply to all municipalities.

Call Dave Ledew at the State Tax Assessor's Office. He can tell you better than anyone what's up, and he answers his phone. I always managed to get through to him.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:26 AM

71 posts, read 173,390 times
Mil rates are set at different times for each town, and that time can vary from year to year. Tax commitments won't be set until the town approves the budget. Some towns provide their tax rates and commitment books online, so she may be able to research the tax bills for the last couple of years depending on where she's looking to settle. Keep in mind that the tax amount she sees may include a Homestead Exemption. Since she wouldn't be eligible for this until after she's owned the home for a year, her tax assessment would be higher by approx. $13,000.

If she can't find tax information online, she can call the town office. http://http://www.maine.gov/local/ is a search page that provides contact information for town offices. Property taxes for unorganized territories are managed by the State of Maine Property Tax Division.

Good luck!

Old 06-21-2010, 04:31 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Homestead has dropped to $10,000 of the assessment this year. They did not, however, touch the Vet exemption or the tax dodges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine