Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:45 PM

782 posts, read 1,356,378 times

Advertisements

Im considering applying for a job at the VA in Dublin, GA but need advice about where to live. I have 2 teen sons, stay at home wife so a good school is important. What is it like living in Dublin? We have lived in San Francisco, Omaha, North Metro Atlanta and now Richmond Hill. I dont want to live in Macon but would consider Warner Robins and like what I heard about Milledgeville. Ive always wanted to live on several acres with enough elbow room for my sons to enjoy dirtbiking or a little archery hunting. Thanks for feedback in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 04:15 PM

someone out there from dublin???

Old 01-09-2010, 04:46 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times
I'm not from Dublin but I'm from Middle GA and familiar with the area. Warner Robins is the better and has the most options for dining, shopping, "nightlife" out of all the towns............but...since you're going to be living in Dublin.......it's not THAT much of a difference to the point where I'd actually want to live that far away and have to drive to Dublin every day. Warner Robins also has bad traffic problems. They are all nice-sized SMALL towns...especially considering where you've lived....I dont think you'd really notice a huge difference between the 3 towns, accept for Warner Robins having a base and heavier traffic.

Dublin and Laurens County have some nice areas, I cant give you specific names and locations because I dont exactly know, but I saw them just from riding around there. What I do know is that "West Laurens High" is considered the best out of the 3 public high schools there.....So I'd figure whatever areas that West Laurens pulls it students from are the better parts of Laurens County.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:40 AM

11 posts, read 31,706 times
I have limited knowledge about the area but I know a little . My sister lives in Milledgeville and my niece lives in Dublin. My sister lives in a more rural part of Milledgeville that is very close to the "town" part. The neighborhood is nice and when we visited last year we went downtown and I was really impressed. It is a college town but seems very clean, safe and there is a nice atmosphere with cool shops,entertainment,etc. My neice is young and rents so I am thinking that is why she prefers dublin as there is probably cheaper rentals and more lower skill jobs as there is just more "stuff" there. If I were you, I would definately check out Milledgville. My sister is involved in the PTA and is very happy with the local public school system. As far as finding rural property with room for outdorsey stuff, I think you would have no problem, because what I experienced was that outside the downtown, it was All rural ...and not far from much larger and dense Macon, where a lot of ppl commute for work, doctors,shopping, etc..hope this helps a little.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,815 times
Hi there Outdoorman. I actually live in Dublin and have for 20 years. I also have several friends that work at the VA. Dublin is a nice enough town that is really growing fast, but in a good way. Several great places to eat, a big enough Cinema, mall, good schools and nice country living. The rural areas can be very beautiful and land is not very expensive. West Laurens High School is in fact the best school in the area. They have a gorgeous, brand new High School that was just finished this year and the kids love it. Dublin High School is a distant second with East Laurens High School third. You will definitely want to stay away from East Dublin. It is all trashed up ( and I mean that literally, trash everywhere you look - on the ground, the people, grocers, gas station! Rentz, Dexter, Dudley and Cadwell are very nice communities, all about 10-15 minutes from town. The drives are so pretty you really don't mind it at all. If you live in the city limits try to stay on the North end of the county. The nicest homes are there in all different price ranges. Please let me know if I can help further!

Old 02-08-2010, 01:41 PM

aheadofyou,

We, the family took the drive to Dublin early Superbowl Sunday and drove around abit before heading north to Milledgeville. We drove up to the VA hospital then past the mall, through the historic part near the courthouse ( downtown I suppose) then up the major road running north side of town towards Milledgville. I probably spent 3 hours in town. Next time, I'll visit the communties you listed because what I didnt particularlly like what I saw driving through much of the main roads inside town. Not to offend anyone, but what I saw I didnt care for inside the city too much. Is it easy to find a community of nice (not necessarily new) homes on private acreage (not clearcut) somewhere near the better school-west laurens high school?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:53 AM

2 posts, read 15,747 times
Default Moving to Dublin!!!

Well, I am from Macon County which is about one and half hour from Laurens county (Dublin) I used to go to the VA in Dublin. Dublin is growing and so in Warner Robins. You will have to move out of the city limits to find wide open space. I love middle Ga. I think you will like either Dublin or Warner Robins.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,345 times
We live in Dudley, which is 8 miles north of Dublin and maybe 10 miles from the VA and 10-12 miles from West Laurens. I have an eight year old at Northwest Laurens and a fifteen year old at WL. Both are great schools and we love living in Dudley. It's a small town that is close to Dublin and, since it's on the north side of the county, it's the closest town in Laurens Co. to Macon and WR. If you had gone north on 80 (the road the VA is on) you would have passed WalMart and then on out you would have come to Dudley. There are several nice neighborhoods in Dublin on the north side of town and a few subdivisions in Dudley itself. A couple of friends of mine work at the VA and live in Northwood Trails, one of the subdivisions here. We attend an awesome church, Poplar Springs North Baptist, which is down Hwy 338, about 6 miles from Dudley and 8 from Dublin. There are a lot of great churches in Laurens County. Hope this information is helpful! By the way, Century 21 and Curry are two of the realtors here. 31019 is the zip code WL is in. [url=http://www.curryrealtors.com]Curry Realtors[/url] is the web address for Curry.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the great info; as you can tell Im still in Savannah area and another job opening has come up at the VA so I want to know if West Laurens would be an ideal place to live? what i really want is to live on affordable acreage. is it easy(common) to find 10-20 partially wooded acres with a house ? how much is this type of real estate in dudley and surrounding small towns?

Old 01-21-2012, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,206 times
I live in Rentz which is a small community on the outside of dublin, and my family and I love it here. I have lived here all my life besides when I stayed with my grandmother for a couple of months while she was sick, she lives in Dublin. I love the country living, and the people are awesome. If your looking for a great place to live where southern hospitality still exists then this is the place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon