Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 01:24 PM

4 posts, read 11,587 times

Advertisements

Well, I can't be more apalled, disgusted, and mortified that the managment of Macon Mall decided to relocate the bus stop that was previously located between the front entrances of Sears and Macys. If the weather was inclement as it has been for the last few days in Macon, riders could see the bus approaching while waiting inside the mall and could get to the bus stop in time to catch the bus. Not only was that particular bus stop eliminated, but the other 3 previous stops were also eliminated, leaving only ONE bus stop. I am truly appalled by Macon Mall's new BACK DOOR policy where black riders have to enter and leave the mall from the rear. Seems like DEJAVU!!!!

BUT, to my horror and without any warning or notification at all, the bus stop has been relocated far across the Sears parking lot in the rear of the mall near O'Charleys! Riders (basically all black) and the elderly are subjected to the mercy of inclement weather. The bus shed is open and not closed-in to protect us from inclement weather. It is unsafe (especially at night) and a major inconvenience to the elderly who needs to dropped off closer to an entrance to the mall. Riders who usually visit the mall has dropped considerably. Next thing, the mall managment could say that since hardly anyone catches the bus, we should eliminate service all together which I think is their purpose of relocating the bus stop where it is now in the first place!

As a black female bus rider, I and my fellow bus rider feel that our business nor presence is no longer appreciated and will take our business elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 02:01 PM

61,768 posts, read 87,244,588 times
Do you know who is responsible for the move?
Why don't you send this email to the bus or mall company, or both?? Or call them to find out why this decision was made?
Macon Mall:
Welcome to Macon Mall
MTA Authority:
200 Cherry Street in downtown Macon
Administrative Offices - 478/803-2500 or 478/803-2520
or contact a congress representative Jim Marshall:
682 Cherry St # 300, Macon - (478) 464-0255
586 Orange Street, Macon - (478) 742-1100

Old 12-16-2010, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,352 times
Bus company says that the Macon Mall is responsible for the move and that there is nothing that can be done about it from their end is the Mall doesn't want them there. The Mall is private property.

The owner claims that the section where the bus stop was previously located will be renovated and the stop had to be moved. Also claimed that the bus coming through there conflicted with pedestrian flow of traffic. How can that be any more of a problem than when cars constantly come through that same path daily also? Anyway, it still doesn't explain why the bus stop was relocated in such an inconvenient location in BACK of the mall a long way across the parking lot. Owner gave no thought whatsoever to this matter. More and more people are just realizing what is going on. I am sure if the owner had to depend on public transportation, there is no way he would have put the bus stop in its current location.

Also, as big as the mall currently is it now has only ONE bus stop. It previously had about four stops all located in the front of the mall. Dropoffs at the mall has dropped considerably. Soon it may be nonexistent.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:52 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,427,482 times
Sorry to bring this up, but is it at all possible the management is tired of the trash taking over the mall and keeping people with money away from it for fear of being robbed? If you're that angry, get together with some other like-minded people who want to clean up the problem. The black-on-black crime in Macon is at an all-time high. Do something about it, or continue to experience this kind of thing. It's all about the perception of safety.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:26 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,259,506 times
This won't be PC, but the fact of the matter is that nearly all the the people who use the bus in Macon are poor and with that come the overabundance of thugs/trash. The percentages bear out that with the poor come trashy and thuggish people. (If you don't believe me look at a Macon Transit Map and overlay it with a crime map!) Perhaps the mall wants to minimize the impact of trashy people/thugs. Unfortunately, people get lumped together in groups. Is it right, maybe not, but it is reality. To bring the race card into will not win you any sympathy from me, however. I am so sick of hearing people scream racism in this town that I don't even want to hear the details anymore. I will tune you out immediately.

The mall is a business and if enough patrons complain about this, then they will change their policies. If you go in screaming racism, they might just be like me and shrug you off as just another angry black person trying to play the race card to get what you want when race truly has nothing to do with it.

Flame me if you want, but perhaps I am just bitter from being anything but racist, but because I am white in Macon, far too many black people imply that I am and expect me to just take it. I am sick of it and will fight this reverse racism at any opportunity!

I am not naive to think that racism does not occur, but do people not read about the boy who cried wolf anymore. Eventually, the claim loses its impact and people stop paying attention to it.....

Old 12-19-2010, 08:31 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,244,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry2010 View Post
. . . . I am truly appalled by Macon Mall's new BACK DOOR policy where black riders have to enter and leave the mall from the rear. Seems like DEJAVU!!!! . . . .
so you're saying this policy only applies to black patrons? people of other races who ride the bus are not required to use the back door?

well this certainly sounds like a case for the justice brothers!

Quote:
. . . .As a black female bus rider, I and my fellow bus rider feel that our business nor presence is no longer appreciated and will take our business elsewhere.
well you're probably right. its not necessarily you that is unwelcomed, but some of the folks coming with you.

its unfortunate that you have to bear the consequences of others actions; the mall is more than likely answering the wishes of its tenants.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:32 AM

Well, mighty odd that the mall love for those poor folks who rides the bus to work there. They are good enough to work there but they make it hard and inconvenient to get to work?

Many whites don't have to endure such injustices, but if you all was in the same situation you all will get your wish. Blacks shouldn't be located all together just the same as all white shouldn't be assumed to be KKK members on the downlow/undercover.

By the way, poor doesn't automatically thugs. Does Madoff come to mind? He's a criminal and nonblack!!!!!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:33 AM

So, are you guys ok to be served by the "so-called" thugs as long as they don't patronize there? If all the perceived "thugs" were eliminated, there will be noone to serve you!

Old 12-21-2010, 05:31 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,244,193 times
Quote:
Many whites don't have to endure such injustices, . . . .
you have no more knowledge of what its like to be white than I do of being a squirrel.

as i've already said, i think its unfortunate for you that life has become more difficult.

the mall answers to its tenants, and sometimes they act of their own accord if they think a problem is looming.

i can't tell you what their motives were. i know you're frustrated but there's nothing anyone on this forum can do in this situation.

go to the managements office, as calmly as you can, and ask if they can discuss it any further with you. maybe you can reach a compromise.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:24 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,105,419 times
I would agree with convextech, midgeorgiaman and southgeorgia....if the scenario was like you guys are describing in your posts. If the bus was bringing in loads of thugs mixed in with a few law abiding civilians, it would be unfortunate for those that mean no harm, but I would be able to understand why the decision was made. However, that's not the case here.

I'm all against other blacks using the race card when it isnt necessary or as an excuse, but in a case like this, it makes me wonder.

The people I see exiting/entering/waiting on the bus while I'm at the mall are mostly 25-50 year old black women (mostly employees) and a few male employees. You'll see a mom with a few small kids too. You guys are acting like it's 10 or 15 teens with their pants hanging below their rear getting on and off the bus on a regular basis.

It makes me wonder if people see middle aged black employees and a few black women with their small kids.....and the first thing that comes to mind is "trash/thugs."

The people who ride the bus to the mall might not be within your social circle or income bracket, but they arent thugs/gang bangers.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 12-21-2010 at 06:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon