Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:33 PM

144 posts, read 744,570 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any thoughts on the whole "Southern" thing? We are probably moving to the North Shore... we have lived in Alaska the past few years, I am originally from a small Midwest town....went to college in Chicago. I love the South, have visited New Orleans and other southern cities many times, but am bracing myself for anything that I... haven't thought of. I guess my question is - Are people going to be nice to me? Are people snobbish to outsiders? And really - Is this going to be weird? What am I going to notice first? Any thoughts are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 02:41 PM

45 posts, read 219,230 times
I have grown up in the south my whole life, In Louisiana. I also have family in Michigan. There is a huge difference when you visit the south. You will notice southern hospitality and people are much more laid back and easy going. Most of us treat everyone like our neighbors. Up north it is quite different and I never felt that way as I did at home. It's a much more who cares attitude. But I'm not saying thats just "up north", please don't get me wrong. I just feel you will feel welcomed, and our food is the best too! =)

Old 05-09-2007, 02:41 PM

83 posts, read 523,666 times
I don't know exactly what to say except be prepared to feel like you've entered a new universe. LOL

My inlaws are from Vegas and they have culture shock when they come to visit.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:57 PM

155 posts, read 767,155 times
I'm from the Midwest too. Never had a problem acclimating to life in the south, except for the summer's miserable heat & humidity. It's relentless June through mid-October.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope you are right... I am just envisioning this like southern socialite 'you're not from here and will never be' thing happening, but am very optimistic!

Hey I am in Alaska... I can't wait to sweat again! LOL...

Old 05-10-2007, 02:14 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,943,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Alaska View Post
Thanks for the encouragement! I hope you are right... I am just envisioning this like southern socialite 'you're not from here and will never be' thing happening, but am very optimistic!

Hey I am in Alaska... I can't wait to sweat again! LOL...
Before I moved to New Orleans eight years ago, people told me that it was hard to make friends in New Orleans and that people were not friendly to "outsiders". Boy, were they wrong! People here (even southern socialites) have been very warm and have welcomed me into their homes and lives, even though it's obvious that I'm not from here.

I think some people use that misconception as an excuse for their own unfriendliness and unwillingness to make any effort to be nice. I have found it easy to have as many friends as I can handle, and they include many life long New Orleanians. Just don't approach people with "an attitude", be sweet and flexible and genuinely interested in life and culture down here, and life will be easy.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 24,996 times
I think you'll enjoy living here; people tend to be pretty warm. If you like football, make sure you get to an LSU game. You will definitely feel the love there!

Good luck with your move.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:32 PM

65 posts, read 381,524 times
Living in south Louisiana I have noticed that as long as someone is civil and courteous, you can talk to almost anyone about anything. People will strike up a conversation in any line, just look folks in the eye, smile and see what happens.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,915 times
Default Read, "New Orleans, Mon Amour"

The above mentioned is written by Andrei Codescu (a commentator for NPR). It gives a very honest opinion about what it is like to "live" in NO. Is there any other city in the country that asks the question, "Do you know what it means to miss (other city name here)?". New Orleans is more than a city, it is a living thing. It gets into your soul and it is hard to leave it. Just ask the many who have been forced to leave since Katrina.

B.T.W Why go to the Northshore? If you are going to move all the way here from Alaska why live somewhere that looks and feels like any other town? Live New Orleans.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:04 PM

MMMM, you guys are wonderful. Thank you so much, I am pulling up the article as we speak, and I am taking the advice to heart. I am going to take that Chicago edge and ditch it for some sugar! Thank you Thank you.

NorthShore - I understand what you mean - but, my husband's job is actually in Covington, and we have a young child - sending him to public school will be a nice bonus, yada yada... but trust me, a little 'normalcy' after this Alaska deal will feel nice! Ya' know, running water in most of the homes, no moose in the garden eating my lettuce, the sun not waking you up at 3am (like this morning....) ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana