Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 06:26 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I agree with that!! Racism is alive and well and none of us will ever see it any different in our life time.
Racism is still alive... but not sure I would agree that it is not any different. I think racism has declined DRASTICALLY in recent decades. (Case in point, last time I checked the U.S. President was black.... or mixed)

If anything, the PC over kill has gone too far.

The OP story is hard to believe in this day and age though. Really amazing (in a bad way).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 06:48 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,356,266 times
Racism is alive and well , because a lot of people profit from it . Financially and politically . Jackson , Sharpton , and Farrakhan make a living from convincing people that they are victims . If you disagree with the President , it's because you are a racist , etc . Many white's are terrified of being called a racist . " Racism " is alive and well and isn't going away any time soon .

Old 10-17-2009, 07:17 AM

420 posts, read 479,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Racism is alive and well , because a lot of people profit from it . Financially and politically . Jackson , Sharpton , and Farrakhan make a living from convincing people that they are victims . If you disagree with the President , it's because you are a racist , etc . Many white's are terrified of being called a racist . " Racism " is alive and well and isn't going away any time soon .
I can concur with that. People do profit on things based on race. I can remember a few months ago, I think it was Microsoft, the had an ad that originally had a black guys amongst whites sitting at a table, but when the ad went internatiol, they covered his face with a white mans face!!! So from a business stand point people do try and profit from racism, but maybe that just discrimination, I dont kno.

Back to the guy on the justice of peace, I dont think the guy is racist personally. He has a job to look at statistics and use good risk management in order to determine the odds of a successful marriage. If you take time dissect his reasonings, then you might say maybe he has a point. Im sorry he really does have a point, but he didnt necessarily have to deny them either. I dont know what the case is but, Im just saying dont be quick to say racism.

Now its always easy to shout out "RACISM" when diverse cultures and races interact and a negative outcome occurs, but seriously......shut up and listen to my rap:

"Its 2009, have a spine, and use your own mind, instead of listening to the media's behind, and you'll find, that its time, to stand up and be kind, and give LAlegend some rep points for this rhyme.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:56 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,490,912 times
Quote:
Racism comes in all forms in colors. There are racist whites, blacks, reds, greens, etc and it's not solely because people profit from it. Many people are just "ignorant", period. There is a such thing as reverse racism, but then you have those who simply flip the situation to take the focus off themselves.

Can we seriously say that racism has declined, especially among older generations or can we say that people are just too afraid to voice their opinions in the open. Although I don't agree that if you oppose the President that you are racist, I will say that I have never seen more unwelcome feelings or lack of respect for any president in my lifetime and we have had much worse in control.

We do have people who profit heavily from racism, ie: Jackson, Limbaugh, Farrakhan, O'Reilly. Guess what though, the people of this country eat it up and follow every word (so what does this say?). It only happens because people allow it to happen and to say that there aren't many in the country who feel that way would be a straight up lie.

Back on topic, I don't care whether the guy in Hammond was racist or not, HE WAS WRONG. He failed to uphold part of his position. It doesn't even matter if he could legally do so. It was WRONG! On top of that more than half of the population of south Louisiana is probably mixed with something whether they know it or not.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:57 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,378,033 times
If an Asian and a Caucasian wanted to get married, would that be a problem for this guy? Somehow, that race combination is more acceptable to some people. This case could start a precedent for Justices of the Peace refusing to marry same-sex couples when gay marriage is eventually legalized nation-wide, which it will be. Two consenting adults should be able to be legally married to one person at a time, regardless of race, gender, etc.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:21 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Quote:
There sure seems to be a lot of legal experts here . How do any of you KNOW FOR A FACT THAT HE IS REQUIRED TO MARRY THEM ? Can any of you provide a link to some kind of law , regulation , whatever , that states that he has to perform the ceremony ?
As a matter of fact, I do know for a fact that the states--and he is a state official--are prohibited from refusing to allow interracial marriages.

Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967)[1], was a landmark civil rights case in which the United States Supreme Court, by a 9-0 vote, declared Virginia's anti-miscegenation statute, the "Racial Integrity Act of 1924", unconstitutional, thereby overturning Pace v. Alabama (1883) and ending all race-based legal restrictions on marriage in the United States.

Loving v. Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This racist dog will learn the same lesson once he is sued.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:22 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,690,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
No. He's a government official. He has no right to refuse to perform a marriage for people who are legally entitled to marry, no matter his reasons.

Telling the couple to get a different jp to perform the marriage is like telling someone to look for another job where they're willing to hire black people, or buy a house in a different neighborhood where they don't mind having black people or interracial families live there. We didn't make all the progress we have made by rolling over for this kind of nonsense.
I didn't say he had the right, or that he shouldn't have consequences. I said If they want to be with one another so much, suck it up and find somebody else to perform it. For every one that will cause you problems there are a thousand others who won't.

Open your eyes. These people have gotten over the injustice, now their priority is milking it for everything it's worth and getting a settlement.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:42 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
If there is any justice....this JP will be sued and will lose his trailor and life savings....as a deterent to others. No one should have to "suck up" discrimination and an assault on their rights and dignity from a government official. You can't legislate how people feel but you sure can legislate behavior and strict consequences can change the way people behave. With any luck who ever buys his trailor may let him come in "to use the bathroom" from time to time.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:02 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,580 times
governor jindal came out and said get rid of him.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:06 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,690,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
If there is any justice....this JP will be sued and will lose his trailor and life savings....as a deterent to others. No one should have to "suck up" discrimination and an assault on their rights and dignity from a government official. You can't legislate how people feel but you sure can legislate behavior and strict consequences can change the way people behave. With any luck who ever buys his trailor may let him come in "to use the bathroom" from time to time.
Whites, Native Americans, and Hispanics have to "suck up" discrimination every day in this country . It only seems to make the national news when a certain ethnic group is involved. I say again...Open your eyes people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana