Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:56 PM

103 posts, read 269,749 times

Advertisements

I live in lake arthur louisiana recently there were two horses killed near my house ang were draggedthrough a bard wire fence the horses had no meat left on there heads and both necks were broken they werent sure what had did it however the next night near the same are two large labs were killed and a large cat was spotted dragging one the next night where the horses were buried they had large cat tracks and a hole dug two feet deep to get to the horses the game wared predicted the tracks of the animal to be around 200 lbsnow im reading online they are trying to claim there is no panthers in lousiana but ive beeen told by game wardens they have been sighted im just wondering what you think about the situation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 08:35 PM

283 posts, read 1,281,544 times
Be careful

Old 06-12-2008, 09:34 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
I wouldn't doubt that it was a panther or something crazy like that.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:07 PM

4 posts, read 32,360 times
What was the reason they gave for his claim that they didn't live in LA? I'm originally from MS, and they lived there. Why couldn't they as easily live here?

Old 06-14-2008, 07:15 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Panthers do live in Louisiana. I saw one in 1982 at a store in a large cage near Hall Summit which is in the NW corner of La. It had been captured young and made into a pet(?). The owners called it a Mountain Lion. The name Panther, Mtn lion, and cougar are all different names for the same cat. Colors may vary as some are black, others light brown. Some people actually think the names are separate cats, but this has never been confirmed by biologists.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:38 AM

768 posts, read 4,385,445 times
No panthers in Louisiana? Someone lied to you. Just a couple years ago we had a problem with a panther prowling in southeast Shreveport when that part of the city was in the middle of a construction boom. It was assumed the panther was roaming a concrete ditch (bayou) that runs many miles through Shreveport.

My mother once worked many years for a taxidermist who personally had killed a number of panthers around Shreveport-Bossier.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:57 PM

144 posts, read 744,110 times
Default Panther...

I just got an email on this - pasted below:

Subject: FW: 260 lb.Panther found in Amite County

>
> >
>>
>> Look at what James Snipe hit with his car on a
> county road
>> southeast of Liberty, Miss. in Amite County .The panther was still
>> alive but unable to move, so our neighbor called animal control and
>> they came and put him down. A land owner had seen this one a week
>> before dragging off a 320 lb steer. Our neighbor is an amateur
>> taxidermist and he's going to stuff him. This one weighed 260 lbs.
>> while
>> most mature male panthers weigh 80 to 150 lbs.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1213649755
Attached Thumbnails
Wild predator-panther-pic.jpg  

Old 06-16-2008, 06:12 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Alaska View Post
I just got an email on this - pasted below:

Subject: FW: 260 lb.Panther found in Amite County

>
> >
>>
>> Look at what James Snipe hit with his car on a
> county road
>> southeast of Liberty, Miss. in Amite County .The panther was still
>> alive but unable to move, so our neighbor called animal control and
>> they came and put him down. A land owner had seen this one a week
>> before dragging off a 320 lb steer. Our neighbor is an amateur
>> taxidermist and he's going to stuff him. This one weighed 260 lbs.
>> while
>> most mature male panthers weigh 80 to 150 lbs.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1213649755

Now that's one big kitty!

Old 10-26-2008, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 24,533 times
I saw a panther in Longville, LA today. I did not even know these existed in this area until I spotted this one crossing the road today. It was a young panther but definetly too big to be a regular cat, and it had a really long tail which made it distinct. Another resident of Longville said that a large panther was spotted about a week ago several miles away from the location I saw this one.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 23,054 times
april 26 2009 our family spotted a large panther or cougar it was bigger than a full grown lab . it was black with a head bigger than a pit bull. a long tail and one of my family members came in a few feet of it scared to death. we scared it off with a lawn mower. that saME DAY we tried to hunt it down shot the baby we think in the throat but only shot the mom/dad in the butt with a bird shot. it only came out during the day while our children were playing loudly out in the front yard. that morning we heard what sounded like it was moaning or growling. we spotted it in the woods down high way 1054 close to hill top a (store). south of high way sixteen in amite. be cautious text 5177243 if you spot it try to take a pic of it. the wild life gave us a email so we can send a pic thats the only way they can do any thing bout it. the email is (mDavidson@WLF.LA.Gov)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana