Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2022, 10:10 PM

17 posts, read 31,288 times

Advertisements

I'm not too picky I like.. I stayed in a condo with an ex but for the life of me I can't remember where it was.. very nice and required crossing the big bridge to New Orleans. I think there was a H-E-B grocery store or whatever the LA equivalent is. Anyways list of things I look for an area..

-Nature/palm trees.. don't really care about beaches

-Walmart/grocery store. Probably amenities in general

-Warm

-Minimal risks of getting robbed and shot (need specifics, like if I should avoid a side of town)

-Area with a lot of health care jobs

-Maybe a small condo around 100k is my range

I know a lot of people say the pay isn't great in the state but I'll happily take less pay if I can own my own place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 11:12 PM

6 posts, read 7,850 times
No, I do not think so. I think that Louisiana should be avoided due to its impenetrable, unmatched corruption of public officials.

Old 06-19-2022, 06:51 PM

128 posts, read 179,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dissident View Post
No, I do not think so. I think that Louisiana should be avoided due to its impenetrable, unmatched corruption of public officials.
Yeah, totally unique to Louisiana

Old 06-19-2022, 10:09 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrairc View Post
-Minimal risks of getting robbed and shot (need specifics, like if I should avoid a side of town)
Good luck with that one.

Old 06-24-2022, 01:12 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Going by your criteria, I think you'd like Louisiana just fine.

The North Shore (Covington/Mandeville) is a very nice area. It's suburban yet still has a lot of charm.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:32 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
We visited New Orleans a few years back and we had fun. But I was surprised by how grungy the sidewalks and streets seems - they look like they've been vomited upon. There were homeless people sitting on the sidewalks and there was even some human poop on the sidewalk which...i just can't...

I would visit New Orleans again but I would not want to live there.

That said, there are other parts of Louisiana that I would probably be very happy living. Some of the coastal towns look quite nice. And the food is good, too.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:46 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
crossing a bridge to New Orleans?what could that be?Algiers?
Have you ever watched t he movie by Kim Bassenger and Richard Gere ,what is that movie called?it is available for streaming now,she was a kept woman of a local gangster.It took place in LA,esp New Orleans and the local customs

Old 06-25-2022, 08:56 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Ruston, LA (home of Louisiana Tech) is a small inland town that looks like a potentially nice retirement spot, depending on what you're looking for.

Old 09-01-2022, 12:49 AM

10,211 posts, read 15,912,728 times
Palm trees are not native to any part of Louisiana. If you plant them, they do grow and thrive pretty well, at least in South Louisiana but they're not native and are only found where specific businesses choose to plant them for aesthetic purposes.

The climate in Louisiana is similar to the Florida Panhandle where it can get cold in the winters and you would not be able to swim outdoors year round like in Miami and the Keys. In the New Orleans area I would say St. Tammany Parish is the best suburban area, and in the Baton Rouge I would suggest Livingston and Ascension Parishes (avoid the west side of the river in Ascension though) which are a mix of suburban and rural.

Definitely avoid New Orleans East, the Lower Ninth Ward, North Baton Rouge, and Gardere. These areas have a lot of crime and drugs and accounts for most of the homicides.

Old 09-01-2022, 05:57 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
Based on your criteria I think the rio grande valley in Texas would be a pretty good choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana