Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2023, 11:13 AM

777 posts, read 503,312 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite authors is James Lee Burke, creator of the Dave Robicheaux series of detective novels set in and around New Orleans. His use of language and character are outstanding, and he describes the scene so vividly you can see antebellum houses, the Spanish moss in the oak trees, the bayous and the people, and almost taste the food. Highly recommended.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2023, 07:17 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob331 View Post
The thing I miss the most about Louisiana, is the food.
Me too. Thank goodness I learned how to cook from a few registered coonasses. Now I can take it with me where I am at!

Old 01-16-2023, 02:51 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,038,203 times
I'm from Louisiana and it's Nack a dish. Natchitoches. You don't really pronounce the "T" it sort of comes out more like the D. Natchitoches is about halfway toward South Louisiana, not quite cajun. The movie "Steel Magnolias" was filmed there, it's a quaint, little town that's big on Christmas. If you are ever here around Christmas they have the light show festival with all the meat pies you can handle. Wonderful place to visit, especially the strip where the old hardware store is.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:10 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
I'm from Louisiana and it's Nack a dish. Natchitoches. You don't really pronounce the "T" it sort of comes out more like the D. Natchitoches is about halfway toward South Louisiana, not quite cajun. The movie "Steel Magnolias" was filmed there, it's a quaint, little town that's big on Christmas. If you are ever here around Christmas they have the light show festival with all the meat pies you can handle. Wonderful place to visit, especially the strip where the old hardware store is.

Heck. I ain’t ever been to Louisiana, and am homesick for it just reading your post. Would love to visit my cajun cousins, one of these days.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:37 AM

372 posts, read 449,475 times
As someone who does want to move away from the state I wouldn't say I hate it like some. I think I'm just more disappointed that it has so much potential and yet falls short. New Orleans is a great city(with issues of course) . The state has an abundance of culture. Fair amount of things to do. I've never felt like I couldn't "make it" or do well here. I even feel like I had a decent education. I mostly just want something new and more opportunity. I visited Charlotte(where I intend to move) and really enjoyed it. But as much as I enjoyed it for the few days I found myself missing home.

I feel like all states have their bad sides and issues and Louisiana no more than a lot of others. But I don't see people in those states crap on them the way people here do. I think a good attitude among people could do a lot to help a place. After all how will it improve unless more positive and progressive thinking people move in to counterbalance the people who want stagnation and no change.

Old 01-17-2023, 04:45 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
As someone who does want to move away from the state I wouldn't say I hate it like some. I think I'm just more disappointed that it has so much potential and yet falls short. New Orleans is a great city(with issues of course) . The state has an abundance of culture. Fair amount of things to do. I've never felt like I couldn't "make it" or do well here. I even feel like I had a decent education. I mostly just want something new and more opportunity. I visited Charlotte(where I intend to move) and really enjoyed it. But as much as I enjoyed it for the few days I found myself missing home.

I feel like all states have their bad sides and issues and Louisiana no more than a lot of others. But I don't see people in those states crap on them the way people here do. I think a good attitude among people could do a lot to help a place. After all how will it improve unless more positive and progressive thinking people move in to counterbalance the people who want stagnation and no change.
While I do say I hate it, its because of the stagnation and corruption. Giving tax dollars to billionaires instead of building infrastructure. I really want it to get better but there's a very good chance we'll all be dead before that happens.
People **** on every state, "natives" of Colorado constantly moan about transplants. Same with New Orleanians. People in North Carolina do the same. Ever met someone from California?!

Attitudes won't do anything, it's not being poor with no opportunities, that's how you help people.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:26 AM

372 posts, read 449,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
While I do say I hate it, its because of the stagnation and corruption. Giving tax dollars to billionaires instead of building infrastructure. I really want it to get better but there's a very good chance we'll all be dead before that happens.
People **** on every state, "natives" of Colorado constantly moan about transplants. Same with New Orleanians. People in North Carolina do the same. Ever met someone from California?!

Attitudes won't do anything, it's not being poor with no opportunities, that's how you help people.
Oh trust me I understand the frustration as I am no fan of the politics here which is another reason for wanting to leave. That said I guess I just don't see it as bad as some say it is. But granted I am fortunate in that I'm a minority(black) whose had a decent upbringing and hasn't really had to face all the negatives that other minorities do here. You're right though change is slow. But I guess we will just have to root for it to succeed from afar lol.

Old 01-21-2023, 08:24 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

Louisiana has the most corrupt politics in the entire USA.

Old 01-21-2023, 09:13 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Louisiana has the most corrupt politics in the entire USA.
Every state has it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana