Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 07:33 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times

Advertisements

I recently read an article that appeared in Reason Magazine about the rampant number of traffic citations issued in jurisdictions throughout the state of Louisiana that can’t be contested in court. Apparently, traffic fines have become the primary source of revenue for many small town treasuries. The system is so rigged that the motorist’s only option is to pay the traffic ticket.

“Taxation by Citation

Louisiana's traffic enforcement system punishes individuals in multiple ways when they exercise their constitutional rights. But none of the pressure tactics are unusual. Small towns all over the United States run speed traps and then use rigged local courts to convert citations into revenue—like a one-two punch that robs people of due process.

The resulting fines and fees supplement tax collections, and many municipalities grow addicted to the funds. Extra revenue for perks quickly becomes essential for daily operations.

A 2020 report from the Institute for Justice calls the practice ‘taxation by citation,’ which occurs when local governments issue tickets to raise revenue rather than to protect the public.”

https://reason.com/2021/07/19/how-lo...he-speed-trap/

https://youtu.be/kb_9NaSr2PE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 05:06 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
As long as the signage is posted, I have no sympathy whatever for people whining about a 'speed trap'. Quit speeding! And if you DO get caught, turn the 'adult' on and pay the fine.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:05 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
As long as the signage is posted, I have no sympathy whatever for people whining about a 'speed trap'. Quit speeding! And if you DO get caught, turn the 'adult' on and pay the fine.

I've seen this. You're driving along the road at speed limit: 55 mph. Then, without warning, you've entered the town and the speed limit drops to 35 mph. Unless you slam on your brakes (which would likely cause internal injuries and an automobile accident), you cannot physically get to 35 mph. The cop is right there - about 50 feet beyond the 35 mph sign, waving you over. Even if you have been slowing down, you are probably going around 45 mph - 10 mph over the speed limit.

That is a speed trap.

Now - I've been places that post "Reduced Speed Limit Ahead" signs. In this instance, I would agree with you. Time to start slowing down is when you see these signs. You should be at 35 mph by the time you get to the 35 mph sign.

But, if a town dramatically lowers the speed limit from a highway speed to town speed without warning, that's a speed trap.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:59 PM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Amen....people complain about small town speed traps yet still get caught speeding in them. lol

Old 07-23-2021, 06:58 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Speed traps aren't just in small towns either. There used to be quite a few in Austin although I haven't come across any in a few years. Usually they be parked at an intersection just beyond the downside of a hill and by the moment the speeding driver sees the police car, it's too late to hit the brakes.

Old 07-24-2021, 08:23 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
What Lillie said. This is not confined to Louisiana or the region.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:30 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
I agree. Just follow the sign, you won't get caught.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:42 AM

3,422 posts, read 1,836,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
I recently read an article that appeared in Reason Magazine about the rampant number of traffic citations issued in jurisdictions throughout the state of Louisiana that can’t be contested in court. Apparently, traffic fines have become the primary source of revenue for many small town treasuries. The system is so rigged that the motorist’s only option is to pay the traffic ticket.

“Taxation by Citation

Louisiana's traffic enforcement system punishes individuals in multiple ways when they exercise their constitutional rights. But none of the pressure tactics are unusual. Small towns all over the United States run speed traps and then use rigged local courts to convert citations into revenue—like a one-two punch that robs people of due process.

The resulting fines and fees supplement tax collections, and many municipalities grow addicted to the funds. Extra revenue for perks quickly becomes essential for daily operations.

A 2020 report from the Institute for Justice calls the practice ‘taxation by citation,’ which occurs when local governments issue tickets to raise revenue rather than to protect the public.”

https://reason.com/2021/07/19/how-lo...he-speed-trap/

https://youtu.be/kb_9NaSr2PE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb_9NaSr2PE&t=203s

Old 08-03-2021, 06:44 AM

3,422 posts, read 1,836,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I've seen this. You're driving along the road at speed limit: 55 mph. Then, without warning, you've entered the town and the speed limit drops to 35 mph. Unless you slam on your brakes (which would likely cause internal injuries and an automobile accident), you cannot physically get to 35 mph. The cop is right there - about 50 feet beyond the 35 mph sign, waving you over. Even if you have been slowing down, you are probably going around 45 mph - 10 mph over the speed limit.

That is a speed trap.

Now - I've been places that post "Reduced Speed Limit Ahead" signs. In this instance, I would agree with you. Time to start slowing down is when you see these signs. You should be at 35 mph by the time you get to the 35 mph sign.

But, if a town dramatically lowers the speed limit from a highway speed to town speed without warning, that's a speed trap.
While I think that is a pretty accurate descriptor, I haven't seen a lot of police lately.

And I've had to drive "Route 2" in Indiana a few times...

Old 05-25-2022, 11:19 PM

6 posts, read 7,838 times
With a legal and law enforcement system like the ones in Louisiana, those who are not corrupt cannot "beat" anything there. There is no working law, just the simulation, deception, and endless fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
View detailed profiles of: