Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2020, 06:05 PM

8 posts, read 7,798 times

Advertisements

I purchased a vehicle through CarMax in Los Angeles right before moving to New Orleans. They issued me a One Trip Permit so I wouldn't have to register it in California. Now I'm recently arrived in Louisiana and in the process of getting my LA insurance and license taken care of.

What I'm confused about is what documents I need to register the car here. Everything I find online seems to indicate that I need a notarized title or bill of sale from California but the online information seems to be referring to sales between individuals rather than buying a car from a dealer. I have the bill of sale and CarMax is sending me the title but none of this is notarized. I called CarMax and they said I would not need those items notarized since it was a purchase from a dealer. I don't want to show up, or send the wrong documents to the OMV and run into trouble by not getting registered in time.

Can anyone tell me if a Title and Bill of Sale that is not notarized is acceptable when registering a vehicle purchased out-of-state from a car dealership? If I do need them notarized, and they are not, what can I do?

Thanks in advance for any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 12:23 PM

FYI: Quick Follow-Up- Finally was able to reach someone at LA OMV. The best # to call is (225) 925-6146. Selecting one of those options puts you on hold and then gets you to an actual person to speak to.

They said that since CA is not a notarization state, I don't need to have the documents notarized but I do need to make sure to bring the ORIGINAL Title and Bill of Sale (not copies). I called CarMax in Los Angeles and they will be FedExing out the originals. Fingers crossed!

P.S. I also found out that OMV now has an appointment system.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:19 AM

4,201 posts, read 2,518,348 times
If you paid sales tax on the vehicle in CA, be sure to bring that.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:59 AM

Yeah, I did. I actually got in and out of there in 45 minutes and got my license, my registration, and got registered to vote. From what I've heard, that is pretty amazing for the Louisiana omv!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana