Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 02:01 PM

31 posts, read 126,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
When compared to other cities it can be called small. After living in Houston, which is over 6 million people, it does seem small.
Depends on what your experiences and impressions are and how you want to perceive it in your head. I've been in some of the largest cities in the world including the largest cities in the U.S. and something around 800,000 is NOT small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 08:42 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forummer View Post
Depends on what your experiences and impressions are and how you want to perceive it in your head. I've been in some of the largest cities in the world including the largest cities in the U.S. and something around 800,000 is NOT small.
It's small compared to larger metros. I don't consider it small though.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:56 PM

974 posts, read 2,186,982 times
Even though Alex may have about 250,000 folks... it feels small, acts small, seems small. Not my cup o' tea.
But I'm a bit biased because even though I'm from La., I really look forward to the day when I leave this messed up
state. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,570 times
I have been offered a job at the Alexandria Mall running a store. I took a recent trip there to scout out the places and must say....everyone was so friendly.

But looking at the crime stats you'd think the place is just insane.

I am hoping to get some quick feedback from residents of the area about the mall, garden district, and stuff on the out skits of Boyce or Cotile (I found some houses in all areas, Marye St in the garden district)

Please, any feedback would be very appreciated. I am in my 30's, married with two children so there it that to consider as well.

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2013, 11:06 AM

974 posts, read 2,186,982 times
Not much to add but the traffic layout in Alex is awful!! While nobody likes traffic, Alexandria has a rep for having bad drivers and lousy traffic.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:05 PM

36 posts, read 141,965 times
Interracial is accepted in Alexandria, though I have to admit I don't see it much. The thing about alexandria is that the pace is SLOW, growth tends to be SLOW and people don't like change much. We are growing, though. Just think of everyone as your second cousin... Everyone knows your business and some people you just can't get rid of (like family). But if you need help there will be a line of people willing to support you.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 5,844 times
I am from a small town of 2,000 people, so to me, Alexandria feels like a city. However, it still feels like a small town in that everyone seems to know everyone else. I like the "city" vibe of more things to do, but I am a small town girl so it may not seem that way to others. I also enjoy that it still seems small enough to know a lot of people and make friends easily. People are very friendly here, and I love that. Crime stats are not good in Alexandria, though I have never been a victim of any sort of crime there. I would suggest Pineville as a better alternative, as it has less crime and cheaper utilities.

I have also worked at the mall. It's okay, but it doesn't really compare to malls like those in Lafayette and Baton Rouge. Businesses have a hard time staying open in the mall, and there are a lot of empty store fronts. They have also instated a curfew that means no one under 18 can be in the mall on a friday or saturday night without an adult. This has cut down on some of the large, rowdy groups of teenagers, which is nice, but I also wonder what it has done for business. During the summer though, the kids just go on weeknights instead.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:43 PM

31 posts, read 44,667 times
I mostly grew up in Alexandria, having moved there from NOLA. I moved from Alex to Houston, a city I've lived in 3 times. I graduated HS in HOU & even attended U of H and HBU for a short while. After going to TTU in Lubbock I moved to SATX and HOU again before moving to PHX, AZ for 20 years. Finally, when the economy crashed I moved back to TX. Specifically Kerrville, TX, a town under 23K people. The point of all this I've lived in a couple of towns w/under 50K pop. & several cities w/pop's in the millions. I remember when I would tell people I was from NOLA and think I was "all that". I remember going from HOU to Lubbock to go to school & I kind of looked down on the local communities as being "redneck cowboys". Thinking back, that was rather "sophomoric". I find it makes me smile when some Big City Person talks about they're from the big city & look at other very livable, normal cities as being boring or sub-standard. Being older now & living in the town of Kerrville, I like it. This town does have some "redneck cowboy" to it. But we also have many people who have escaped places Like HOU & DAL, as well as LA, NYC & CHI. They chose to move here to be HERE. While it can be difficult to make a living here, commuting to SATX is an option. There is a subtle sophistication living in this relaxed atmosphere. It kind of reminds me of Sedona back in AZ. I'm just saying we shouldn't jump to conclusions about smaller towns. I loved growing up in Alex & reflect on those times fondly.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:23 AM

240 posts, read 344,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAzMark View Post
I mostly grew up in Alexandria, having moved there from NOLA. I moved from Alex to Houston, a city I've lived in 3 times. I graduated HS in HOU & even attended U of H and HBU for a short while. After going to TTU in Lubbock I moved to SATX and HOU again before moving to PHX, AZ for 20 years. Finally, when the economy crashed I moved back to TX. Specifically Kerrville, TX, a town under 23K people. The point of all this I've lived in a couple of towns w/under 50K pop. & several cities w/pop's in the millions. I remember when I would tell people I was from NOLA and think I was "all that". I remember going from HOU to Lubbock to go to school & I kind of looked down on the local communities as being "redneck cowboys". Thinking back, that was rather "sophomoric". I find it makes me smile when some Big City Person talks about they're from the big city & look at other very livable, normal cities as being boring or sub-standard. Being older now & living in the town of Kerrville, I like it. This town does have some "redneck cowboy" to it. But we also have many people who have escaped places Like HOU & DAL, as well as LA, NYC & CHI. They chose to move here to be HERE. While it can be difficult to make a living here, commuting to SATX is an option. There is a subtle sophistication living in this relaxed atmosphere. It kind of reminds me of Sedona back in AZ. I'm just saying we shouldn't jump to conclusions about smaller towns. I loved growing up in Alex & reflect on those times fondly.
Mark, the point is Alexandria is in a decline mode. However, even Kerrville is growing.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:29 PM

1,992 posts, read 976,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USERXXXX View Post
Mark, the point is Alexandria is in a decline mode. However, even Kerrville is growing.
It sure is. Population in the city is down to below 50,000. I was in Alec on a Saturday night, and outside of a few blocks, the city was completely a ghost town. Almost nobody on the streets. Not to mention a lot of storefronts and buildings boarded up. It's kind of sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana