Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:28 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times

Advertisements

The parish-by-parish population change map looks like this (courtesy of the US Census Bureau):

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:34 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
Maybe some subdivision in New Orleans south shore would not be bad. NOLA must understand that what they build today will be historical in the future .

Shreveport may be a hopeless case. I can see the grow in the Baton Rouge Area.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Maybe some subdivision in New Orleans south shore would not be bad. NOLA must understand that what they build today will be historical in the future .

Shreveport may be a hopeless case. I can see the grow in the Baton Rouge Area.
What do you mean about New Orleans?

I would think Monroe is more of a "hopeless cause" than Shreveport, SBC is improving and growing.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 AM

New Orleans needs to build upwards and maybe build some awesome neighborhoods so they can regain the population lost. If you go online and read the ajc.com and see the other cities aggressiveness in getting new business and industry you would be amazed. These cities do not have half the natural resouces of NOLA the only thing they have going is an educated workforce which lures business.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
New Orleans needs to build upwards and maybe build some awesome neighborhoods so they can regain the population lost. If you go online and read the ajc.com and see the other cities aggressiveness in getting new business and industry you would be amazed. These cities do not have half the natural resouces of NOLA the only thing they have going is an educated workforce which lures business.
New Orleans doesn't have the economy or businesses to build upward, whats wrong with Mid-City, Uptown, Treme, and Marigny? We are not a regional powerhouse like Atlanta or the other booming cities like Charlotte and Austin, Dallas or Houston. They have more than an educated workforce, they have jobs that brought and bring in families at a faster pace. Also, people and businesses who don't know about New Orleans don't want to experience a hurricane that would jeopardize a multi-million dollar business front and their home and families lives. Mayor M. Landrieu is more aggressive with progression than the past mayors. The city is doing what it can to attract people, Orleans parish has grown by 58% since 2005 (these are my numbers so correct me if I'm wrong) but that's higher than East Baton Rouge parish which grew at over 40%, which was the fastest growing as far as the census is concerned. New Orleans is trying to build upward, Trump, Bocage, High rise on the North side of Canal by the FQ.
Another thing, great neighborhoods aren't just built...

Old 02-06-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans doesn't have the economy or businesses to build upward, whats wrong with Mid-City, Uptown, Treme, and Marigny? We are not a regional powerhouse like Atlanta or the other booming cities like Charlotte and Austin, Dallas or Houston. They have more than an educated workforce, they have jobs that brought and bring in families at a faster pace. Also, people and businesses who don't know about New Orleans don't want to experience a hurricane that would jeopardize a multi-million dollar business front and their home and families lives. Mayor M. Landrieu is more aggressive with progression than the past mayors. The city is doing what it can to attract people, Orleans parish has grown by 58% since 2005 (these are my numbers so correct me if I'm wrong) but that's higher than East Baton Rouge parish which grew at over 40%, which was the fastest growing as far as the census is concerned. New Orleans is trying to build upward, Trump, Bocage, High rise on the North side of Canal by the FQ.
Another thing, great neighborhoods aren't just built...
The case is NOLA should and could have the economy of the other cities. The first step is a change of attitude by the city. The city is blessed in a lot of ways that the other cities don't have. Get the levees strong and start boasting like other cities and stop with this inferiority complex

Old 02-06-2011, 11:08 AM

Thanks to Houston, most cities on the Gulf kind of slowed when they took the oil ans energy companies. They are also cursed in many ways, the city has a negative connotation already so they are definitely working on changing the image but its not a overnight process. Have you been keeping up with things in NO? Also, thanks to the preservationists alot of things have to be denied and re-planned. The city is in need of diversifying heavily in its economy before it really explodes into a more powerful city in the south. Plus, I don't think we will ever pass Houston in its economy, maybe Atlanta though.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:10 AM

LA,SF and Miami all came back from natural disasters, so did Berlin and London

Old 02-06-2011, 01:03 PM

674 posts, read 1,538,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appraisergx View Post
I do not know, specifically, for AEX (the airport). I do anticipate in migration, in the long run, which should bring monies into the area from outside of the city, region, and state. AEX has expanded several times since its inception, however.

Good question, though. An expansion of AEX may be a leading indicator for things to come.

Edited: I do know AEX is still trying to get settled in, with regard to land control/zoning. I know this, because I worked on Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the relocation of residents and businesses that were grandfathered in when the new zoning took place. I drive pass the area everyday to and from work, and I still see improvements that need to be torn down. I can answer question as far as the above summary: it looks as though AEX will be expanding in the future, due to the fact that AEX has not settled all of the land expansion issues. To what extent with regard to jobs? I am not able to provide that. I recommend Googling AEX and see what you may find.
I have one more question regarding AEX. Do they offer a lot of flights to different cities?

Old 02-06-2011, 01:29 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
If anyone's interested here's a breakdown of population changes in the Greater New Orleans area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana