Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:39 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,058,485 times

Advertisements

Louisiana is the poorest state in the nation with the most resources- Go figure- I wish SBC could post some pics around Cross Lake so these knuckle head would see what beauty really is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 09:40 AM

3,077 posts, read 8,031,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVPARIS View Post
I just returned from a job interview in Shreveport and thought it was the worst city I have ever been to. I have now been offered a job in Baton Rouge. Is it any different ?? Help !
Paris. Shreveport doesn't look very well kept, but it is a nice city. There are many wonderful people here. I have never had any reason to move. I wish it was a little cleaner and neater, I do my part to keep it looking better. I have traveled all over the country in my work and can tell you that although each city has something special about it, I have always been glad to come home. This is not to say we have problems here, we do. Mostly the same problems you will find elsewhere.

BTW, BR is different from Shreveport. It has more urban feel to it in someways; Shreveport is more urban in other ways. Like many other things, it's all a subjective matter.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,491,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfingers View Post
I repeat, Louisiana is the poorest state in the nation. Sure there are some affluent areas but that does little good for the condition of the roads or the school system. Due to our failing school system how bright do you think our future leaders here will be? Without bright minds in our government how do you think we will be able to overcome our economic woes? I'm sure there are things such as traffic of pollution COULD be worse but that doesn't make the state of things here any less troubling. When I spoke of insurance rates should have said automobile insurance. But of course that has nothing to do with how badly people around here drive. I can Imagine how high insurance rates in Florida must be after all the hurricanes they have been hit by.
I do agree with you regarding the school system, we are lucky enough to have our child in private-which we are very happy with. Unfor many people here cannot afford prvate schools and that is the states fault. I have friends in Georgia and family in Florida and they think their public schools are the worst, I think everyone has complaints about their home state especially in the south. You cannot beat the south's friendliness though. Anyway, I love it here and hope it does get better with Jindal-I believe in him as well as the other poster.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:36 AM

24 posts, read 94,402 times
I believe we are in agreement on Bobby Jindal. I think he will do well as governor. I think the sad part is that we had to wait 4 years. I admire the way he handled his last campaign for governor. All the mudslinging in our election process is an indicator of the caliber and character of the candidates themselves. Jindal won me over by not stooping to the level of his opponants.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 11,568 times
hey SBC... i actually moved to Shreveport to be closer to my girlfriend and im loving it! i just want to appologize for those remarks because shreveport is great and the people are way more friendly than in B>R. i was always stressed out too, and it was the city i lived in! now that i am out of baton rouge... i think its a horrible city but i still have to call it home. i really do like shreveport a lot and i do not miss baton rouge like i thought i would. it is a great city though and i am enjoying living here. the only thing is that i still would say the best city in louisiana would be Lafayette. what do you think about Lafayette?

Old 10-13-2007, 02:52 PM

768 posts, read 4,389,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepalm22 View Post
hey SBC... i actually moved to Shreveport to be closer to my girlfriend and im loving it! i just want to appologize for those remarks because shreveport is great and the people are way more friendly than in B>R. i was always stressed out too, and it was the city i lived in! now that i am out of baton rouge... i think its a horrible city but i still have to call it home. i really do like shreveport a lot and i do not miss baton rouge like i thought i would. it is a great city though and i am enjoying living here. the only thing is that i still would say the best city in louisiana would be Lafayette. what do you think about Lafayette?
If you're serious then that's great, because that's a total 180-degree turnaround from you in just one month. I hope you truly feel this way, because I love Shreveport.

As far as Lafayette, I don't know that I would call it the BEST city in Louisiana, but I will say at this time it appears to be the most progressive and it's a very nice place. The only thing I don't like about Lafayette is the "suburban" feel of it. I like a city with an urban central core, and while Lafayette has a downtown it really doesn't have a skyline or anything that makes me want to go downtown there. Shreveport, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans all have defined urban cores which I love. That said, again, I do like Lafayette but the lack of an urban feel in general bothers me. It's too much of a "new city" for me... but perhaps an urban core will still happen in the future. Maybe it's only a matter of time.

Enjoy Shreveport... it really is a great place to live.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,852 times
Quote:
Okay, Mike... i had to join just to see what caused the turnaround in your views toward Shreveport-Bossier. What happened...

Old 10-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,491,957 times
Quote:
I think people in BR are the friendliest in the state! I like Layfayette too, but love BR-good luck to you in the north end of the state!

Old 10-16-2007, 03:05 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,058,485 times
Shreveport is not that bad if it could get rid of the criminal element. The city has a lot going far it. Unlike other cities Shreveport has not annexed booming suburban areas like North Bossier. Austin and Shreveport were the same size in 1970 but Austin was able to annexed booming areas

Old 10-23-2007, 02:06 PM

305 posts, read 798,639 times
Personally, I lived in BR for 18 yrs of my life and i really loved it..i think slowly br is turning into a big city with all its surrounding suburbs..i would def prefer br over Shreveport (me and my bf ave this argument all the time, since he is from there! and always love it!) br is dominated by lsu and government, but it makes the city more lively in my opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana