Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:34 PM

42 posts, read 111,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Yes, Baton Rouge pales in comparison to Detroit, but it's still pretty bad. I'm not necessarily referring to just crime, but the poverty is UGLY there. Would you take a stroll through Scotlandville? I wouldn't. And I lived in the hood in Lafayette. The old Mississippi River Bridge, when you're still on the west side.. that doesn't look like its part of a developed country. Plus why would you want to live in the vicinity of so many noxious chemical plants? I value a life without cancer. There, it's done, I said it, I won't speak on the subject any longer.

In terms of things to do, I'm just listening to all the people who go to LSU. I keep hearing the uniform cry of "We love, LSU, but we HATE Baton Rouge. When school is out there is absolutely nothing to do". I'm just taking it from people who live there, not my own distorted sense of the city's highs and lows

Please tell me about all of the areas you have visited in Baton Rouge. I would like to hear you describe the Blubonnet/Perkins road area, Highland Road area, Southdowns, Corporate/ Town Centre, LSU, SE Baton Rouge etc. I would like your opinion on these areas since you seem like such an expert on the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 10:35 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,989 times
Sigh... I know this is going to keep going because there are good areas of Baton Rouge and of course people who live there are going to stay defensive. Bluebonnet/Perkins is nice, still growing, a little further out from the center of town. Highland is gorgeous, nice houses the further away from town one travels. LSU is nice around the lakes, pretty scary around Nicholson. Southeast Baton Rouge, I guess thats on the way to St. Gabriel? Not bad either. The point I am making is that the person in question was wondering which would be better, Baton Rouge or Lafayette. Lafayette is much safer and has a higher quality of life and superior school system. There is no Capitol High School in Lafayette, or a Glen Oaks. In my humble opinion, I would not want to live in Baton Rouge, and close to 90% of people who go to college there tell me the same thing. I have a lot of New Orleans pride but if a teacher wanted my advice I'd tell them go to Lafayette, once again same argument. If you like living in BR I am very happy for you, but its not for me. So can we put this to rest? The person asked for OPINIONS and advice.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:05 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,355,894 times
Lafayette has its hell-holes as well . Every city does . And this constant cry of " there's nothing to do " is just plain stupid .

Old 08-21-2010, 04:14 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,241,383 times
Boredom is a state of mind. Geography has little to do with that.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Boredom is a state of mind. Geography has little to do with that.
Now that we can agree on .

Old 08-23-2010, 07:06 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,328,014 times
Lafayette really doesnt have many "hellhole" areas to be honest. Its also not as large as Baton Rouge and the population density is lower. It has more of a spaced out small town feel and thats why I enjoy Lafayette more. Baton Rouge has more of the traditional steel belt/industrial blight in some areas, whereas Lafayette really doesnt have that much industry. Its more commercialized and clean. But Lafayette is definitely missing that exciting urban downtown feel with skyscrapers and infrastructure. It has maybe 2 buildings over 13 stories. Its more of a party college town than a bustling city. But that also means theres lots to do and most of it is in pretty safe areas.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I would not want to live in Baton Rouge, and close to 90% of people who go to college there tell me the same thing.
You know 90% of the students at LSU , Southern , and BRCC ?

Old 08-26-2010, 01:57 PM

7 posts, read 18,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acollins040 View Post
I am 24 year old secondary school teacher from Zachary, LA just north of baton rouge. I am considering moving to Lafayette. I really live the v
Culture but I'm nervous about leaving home. Which place is better Lafayette or Baton Rouge? How are the school systems?
Baton Rouge is definitely a better place live, work, and have fun!

In terms of school systems, they're about the same from what I've heard. Lafayette has a lot more private / Catholic schools, so most of the more affluent families send their students there, which means the public schools suffer as a result.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:04 PM

7 posts, read 17,818 times
Lafayette has perfectly fine schools. I graduated from Comeaux, five years ago. I feel I had a pretty good education there. The Catholic schools have the same problems as the public schools do.

I do agree that Lafayette is really missing more of the urban downtown feel. Being that Lafayette is a college town, unless your idea of a good time is getting wasted every weekend at some aimless bar that plays loud, crappy music than you won't find much to do. In the last 10 years, the music scene has really gone down the drain. Nothing really exciting here. Lafayette is losing its charm.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:36 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsc05 View Post
Lafayette has perfectly fine schools. I graduated from Comeaux, five years ago. I feel I had a pretty good education there. The Catholic schools have the same problems as the public schools do.

I do agree that Lafayette is really missing more of the urban downtown feel. Being that Lafayette is a college town, unless your idea of a good time is getting wasted every weekend at some aimless bar that plays loud, crappy music than you won't find much to do. In the last 10 years, the music scene has really gone down the drain. Nothing really exciting here. Lafayette is losing its charm.
Nothing beats the festivals though. Especially not Festival International.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana