Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 04:12 PM

450 posts, read 2,055,680 times

Advertisements

Just got back from staying 3 weeks in a cabin at mid-lake near the Pendleton Bridge. Real estate sales appear to be brisk. The good news is that an agreement has finally been hashed out with the Texas legislature and power company to keep the lake at 168, rather than draw it way down to generate more power. The caveat is that if there is a drought the power company can bring the level lower. But people are pleased that their access to the water is more assured--lots of boating and fishing going on.

The place I stayed seemed to always have a great breeze. It would be 95 in Jasper or Lake Charles according to the weather report but right on the lake with the breeze would be a good 10 degrees cooler. Got lots of rain storms coming up or down the lake and I was perched on a bank just over the water. Love listening to the waves crashing or lapping on the shore. But you had better shore up your bank with a good bulkhead when that wind comes.

Every one was very upbeat about future growth. Many has a new Sonic drive
in. I went over to Sam Rayburn and found the real estate over there to be rather expensive as compared to T-Bend. There is not much land to develop as it is mostly reserved for the public in general. But Big Sam is a beautiful lake and the southern 2/3rds is cleared of stumps.

I found some nice beaches with real sand on the southend of T-Bend. For the money, T-Bend is still the best bargain for vacant land or a home on the lake. Supposedly a new development going in down by the dam on the Texas side. No income tax in Texas is an attraction. The area around Hemphill is very interesting. Mid-lake has some really good retirement possibilities. Nacodoches and Lufkin are not too far away and have good shopping and medical. That's all for now. But I think it is the least expensive waterfront around and interior lots are a real bargain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 10:42 AM

5 posts, read 37,565 times
Cool Info on Toledo Bend LA area

Am looking to retire in about a year & am wanting to return to my home state of LA. Wanting to build a lake front home on Toledo Bend but have no idea of any thing about the lake except what I read in the real estate ads. Plan on making a trip down there maybe in September to check it out. Any info about the lake & what I can expect would be of great help. What can I expect to pay for a lake front property? I have read from Kurt that the lake has went down for a few years. How often does this happen? How bad are those pesky little bitting bugs, the misquito? What about the schools,are there any in that area? I have a grandchild living with me. Like a lot of retired people I will be living on a fixed income so will be streaching the green backs. Besides property tax, I know they are cheap, what other ways can a girl have R & R with out spending a lot? Thanks for any info . Appreciate it. gaylee

Old 07-04-2007, 01:13 PM

Smile Kaw-Liga's Trading Post/Many/Toledo Town.

Howdy, gaylee. You want to locate around Many-Toledo Town-Pendleton Bridge area. This area is growing and has jobs. A nice and friendly bar and eatery is Kaw Ligas. It is near Toledo Town. Just ask anybody. They believe in having a good time but not getting too wild. Owned by a really great couple that got out of the rat race. It is a place for just plain folks.

Bugs are not that bad. I saw a place on the lake that needed some fixing up for less than 80K. Of course, anything off the lake is not very expensive. You can live very cheap here. Breakfast at Calfees Restaurant on the Texas side of the Pendleton bridge for $4.

Over on the Texas side Hemphill is a nice area, too. But I think the get in on the ground floor action is Many and Toledo Town. It is midlake and has the bridge. Will develop into a major resort-retirement area over time. Fishing is just fantastic. Beautiful pine trees everywhere.

By recent agreement with the government authorities, the lake is supposed to be kept higher--no power generation or draining of the lake--below 168 pool stage. So, I would not worry about lake levels getting low.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:39 PM

5 posts, read 37,565 times
Thanks for the info Kurt. Am looking forward to my trip down to the Toledo Bend area so I can poke around & see what I can uncover. Gaylee

Old 10-14-2007, 01:05 AM

3 posts, read 17,646 times
Hello Kurt

My name is Robin, and me & my family is wanting to move on the water please can you give us any advice. We have 3 boys and have been living in Houston, after losing everything we had in Hurricane Katrina. Now we are ready to move to the Jasper Area, Toledo Bend area, and so need any and all advice, you can offer.
Keep in mind, we have limited funds[looking for a great deal],but we are really willing to do what we can get to get something to call our again. Thank you so very much and I so look forward to your awesome help, suggestions, advice, directions HeHe!!!!....
Much Respect
Robin & Family
God Bless

Old 10-14-2007, 04:16 PM

Smile Howdy, LilOleMe.

I don't know too much about the Jasper area. If you go up to Many, Pendleton Bridge, Toledo Town, and Hemphill (Texas) you can find some inexpensive places. Now, as to jobs, I don't know what you would be looking for, but the area is growing and there are opportunities. The people at the Sabine Parish Tourist Center in Many are very friendly. Closer to Jasper is Sam Rayburn Lake. The area up around Pineville--is nice and not too expensive. That is not far from Hemphill. Hemphill is a friendly town on the Texas side of Toledo Bend. You can still get trailers right on the lake around there. But don't wait too long. Prices will go up. North of Hemphill up by Huxley Bay and Center is great country. Less populated. Cheaper. Center, Texas, is a pretty good sized town--even has a Junior College. Jasper is way to the south but is becoming a retirement center--it is growing--and their Chamber of Commerce should be able to help you out. But lakeshore is more expensive on Sam Rayburn and South Toledo Bend--although there can be bargains here if you look. You have to go midlake or northwards for the cheaper stuff. Best of everything to you. God Bless.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:09 PM

3 posts, read 17,646 times
Thank you so very much Kurt!!
So sorry, I'm just now able to reply to you but my computer has been down, thanks alot for your understanding and patience.
Should, I post here that I'm looking for property?
What should I do?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and wanted!
Thanks Again
Robin & Family

Old 03-19-2008, 02:52 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
MODERATOR: I'm sorry, there is no advertising or soliciting on City Data in the state forums. You can say you're going to look at property - but no real estate agents need to solicit behind the scenes either - per the Terms of Service. General information only, please.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,965 times
Hi my name is tiffany.Im jim sullivan's daughter and converse is becoming a none safe place to live.people are getting shoot in the head.Someone brought a gun and put it in the water on bluejay drive.what is this world coming to?

Old 09-30-2010, 05:28 PM

Default Sorry to hear about this crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanywingler View Post
Hi my name is tiffany.Im jim sullivan's daughter and converse is becoming a none safe place to live.people are getting shoot in the head.Someone brought a gun and put it in the water on bluejay drive.what is this world coming to?
I am so sorry to hear about this. You know, there are really no "safe" places anymore. Crime is everywhere. The best we can do is be as careful as we can and pray the Good Lord protects us. You take care and don't get discouraged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana