Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:15 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,453,798 times

Advertisements

I'm having a hard time understanding why the landlord should be sympathetic to a renter who can't afford to pay rent. It's a hard knocks life - if you can't afford to live in an area then look to live somewhere else. No one should have to subsidize your living expenses because you don't make enough money to afford your lifestyle.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:31 AM

160 posts, read 866,221 times
If I were a landlord, I'd ask first a lawyer about how legal is this kind of extortion. Then talk to the tenant asking this.

Good point, DontH8Me! I just saw your post.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:48 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,843,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoul View Post
Believe me MOST rent control apartments are CRUMMY, real crummy. Yes there are exceptions but they are FEW.
I assume that this is because the landlords aren't taking in enough rental income to recoup the cost of renovations.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:55 PM

11 posts, read 32,539 times
ONE more thing. When i got my apartment i had to pay this shadey rental company a "finders" fee. $1200 (some cost $3600 at the time) which was alot 10 years ago. It was common knowledge that they split the amount with the apartment mangers.

Wellman Realty controlled all the apartments in santa monica with this 'finders' fee scheme. This went on for years and years until the de-control laws came marching in.

Last edited by oldskoul; 08-08-2007 at 06:07 PM..

Old 08-08-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveCali View Post
If I were a landlord, I'd ask first a lawyer about how legal is this kind of extortion. Then talk to the tenant asking this.

Good point, DontH8Me! I just saw your post.
For your information the landlords attorney has contacted me in the past on 4 seperate occasians. all of which i was not interested with the top opening offer of $15K. Maybe i should be the one headed to the authorities.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
I assume that this is because the landlords aren't taking in enough rental income to recoup the cost of renovations.
You assume wrong beacuse before rent control the apartments were crummy to start with when their was no rent control.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding why the landlord should be sympathetic to a renter who can't afford to pay rent. It's a hard knocks life - if you can't afford to live in an area then look to live somewhere else. No one should have to subsidize your living expenses because you don't make enough money to afford your lifestyle.
Conversly if you want market rate rents dont buy a building in Santa Monica. You paid less for it beacuse some rents are controlled.

Santa Monica has traditionally been a Republic of the People. We that live in Santa Monica voted for rent control when dastardly apartment managers abused their position.

I dont know any apartment managers that are not very wealthy just based on land value alone. Dont make it sound like renters are keeping food off their familes tables.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:23 PM

723 posts, read 3,000,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoul View Post
ONE more thing. When i got my apartment i had to pay this shadey rental company a "finders" fee. $1200 (some cost $3600 at the time) which was alot 10 years ago. It was common knowledge that they split the amount with the apartment mangers.

Wellman Realty controlled all the apartments in santa monica with this 'finders' fee scheme. This went on for years and years until the de-control laws came marching in.
So. You agreed to move in. Why is that anyone's problem but yours?

I cannot believe the sheer ignorance and petty self-advancement. For those of you that claim "this is business" you don't know much about business. Business what you're talking about is personal gain at someone else's expense. That is NOT business. Business is, as defined by Merriam-Webster in this way:

Definition of business - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

So your (1) purposeful activity is taking money from people who dont really owe you anything. Or your (2) role or function is being a conniving leach on the teet of those that actually have gainful labor. Or (3) means of livelihood involve taking from others, with nothing in return.

Good job. You've managed to lower society that much further.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
So. You agreed to move in. Why is that anyone's problem but yours?

I cannot believe the sheer ignorance and petty self-advancement. For those of you that claim "this is business" you don't know much about business. Business what you're talking about is personal gain at someone else's expense. That is NOT business. Business is, as defined by Merriam-Webster in this way:
The self advancement was created by the managers using a front company to in essence charge UNLAWFUL rent. Call it finders fee or whatever. Shadey. To answer your question, it is everyones problem beacuse renters should rent fairly to ANYONE, not only to the person that can afford a shadey finders fee. Equal Opportunity!

Now that the tables are turned you dont think it is a good business decision for landlord to pay out to have a higher rent in the future?

Everyone gains. Renters who would not be able to move get to move on and landlord doubles the rent.

BOTH parties gain! In addition to that the building gets to take a good tax write off to boot. Dont use the word petty for some renters $15K is a lot of money, and double rents are not 'petty' either. This is not one sided 'self advancement'. According to your Republican thought theories this raises society beacuse rents go higher and renters now are brought to a market level rent or home purchase somewhere else.

Last edited by oldskoul; 08-08-2007 at 06:45 PM..

Old 08-08-2007, 06:48 PM

21 posts, read 126,797 times
I like this I am voting for oldskool for president....anyone w/ me ? I guess not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles