Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 01:42 PM

392 posts, read 1,092,722 times

Advertisements

The girl and her boyfriend who live next door to us (it's her grandparent's house) have hung several strings of rope lights with clear white bulbs across the length of the backyard, along with a bright white luminescent orb that hangs down from one of the strings. The wires and ropes used to string the lights make a web between their trees and the railing on their upstairs terrace. This is not attractive during the days - but the problem is at night when these lights illuminate our whole backyard, pool and jacuzzi, and shine into our upstairs bedroom and downstairs rooms as well. Because the lights are strung so high and are unshielded, there is no escape from them.

TL, DR - what to do?

The lights have been up for two nights, burning until 12:15am and 12:20am. There was a major party/celebration there last night (dance floor laid on the grass, black or shiny dresses and guys in tuxes) and we were hoping the lights were just up for this event and then they would take them down. But, they have parties all the time and cruise in the backyard all the time - and now I’m thinking and fearing that the lights might be a permanent thing. The thing is, we like to cruise in the backyard in the dark - swim, watch the space station and the stars, just be out there without being on display and having lights shining in our eyes the whole time. There is a steep downhill slope/open space below/behind our houses so it was almost completely dark and peaceful until two nights ago.

We’ve talked to them twice in fifteen months - just in passing for a few minutes about seeing raccoons and about the guy’s truck - otherwise just nodding and smiling when we see each other. We moved into these houses within the same month last year. This is an HOA community (two separate HOAs, actually - one for the whole area and then one for the actual subdivision) and there are definitely rules about stringing visible wires from railings - but we aren’t the type who would run to the HOA without trying to sort it out first.

We don’t want to be the sticks in the mud neighbors so we’ve never complained to them or to security/HOA about anything - including noise (screaming and yelling and loud music) from weekly parties that run past midnight sometimes. . . maybe they think since we’ve never said anything about the noise, it doesn’t bother us - but we’ve just worked with it not wanting to interfere with their lives and their yard and fun. . .

. . . but living with these lights shining down on us into the future - into the yard and into our bedroom - is not an option. Neither of us like confrontations - we would rather vanish than fight. If this was a rental, we would just stick it out until our lease was up and then move. We bought (have 30 year mortgage on) this house though so there is no option to move away just because of this - and we shouldn’t have to anyway.

Are we within our rights to ask them to take down the lights - without involving the HOA at all - and then talking to the HOA if they don’t? Or since we don’t really know them, should we go through the HOA - that sound like the wrong choice as a first move though. These houses are really close together. We wonder if these two will do what they want to do no matter what, based on the way it has been since they’ve moved in.

Last edited by Freebird; 07-31-2016 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 01:48 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,637 times
Dealing With Light Pollution From a Neighbor | Nolo.com

Me casa NOT su casa

Old 07-31-2016, 02:21 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,137,281 times
Have you considered getting black out curtains?

Old 07-31-2016, 02:26 PM

50,250 posts, read 47,011,154 times
blackout contact lenses

Old 07-31-2016, 03:57 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Have you considered getting black out curtains?
Black out curtains are for day sleepers. The law and common decency dictates that you do not shine your lights into your neighbors yard. It is a hazard if you are walking in your backyard and are blinded by the lights. Californians are tolerant but will not put up with hill billy behavior that makes California less attractive.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:04 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,137,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
blackout contact lenses
That's some dark eyes you got there Angry

Old 07-31-2016, 04:17 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,969,065 times
More than likely you are already paying outlandish hoa fees, so let the hoa earn it's money by bringing your concerns to the hoa.

Bob.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:30 PM

581 posts, read 920,473 times
You have every right to complain to the HOA. You pay HOA fees don't you? Also the laws vary slightly in every city but most have a noise curfew of 10:00 PM, 7 days a week. If the HOA doesn't do anything call the sheriffs department and file a complaint (that's probably what the HOA security folks will tell you anyway). Hopefully you ignored the jerk who wrote "Deal with it"! It clear that he's new to California and has a chip on his shoulder for some reason.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:25 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
The girl and her boyfriend who live next door to us (it's her grandparent's house) have hung several strings of rope lights with clear white bulbs across the length of the backyard, along with a bright white luminescent orb that hangs down from one of the strings. The wires and ropes used to string the lights make a web between their trees and the railing on their upstairs terrace. This is not attractive during the days - but the problem is at night when these lights illuminate our whole backyard, pool and jacuzzi, and shine into our upstairs bedroom and downstairs rooms as well. Because the lights are strung so high and are unshielded, there is no escape from them.

TL, DR - what to do?

The lights have been up for two nights, burning until 12:15am and 12:20am. There was a major party/celebration there last night (dance floor laid on the grass, black or shiny dresses and guys in tuxes) and we were hoping the lights were just up for this event and then they would take them down. But, they have parties all the time and cruise in the backyard all the time - and now I’m thinking and fearing that the lights might be a permanent thing. The thing is, we like to cruise in the backyard in the dark - swim, watch the space station and the stars, just be out there without being on display and having lights shining in our eyes the whole time. There is a steep downhill slope/open space below/behind our houses so it was almost completely dark and peaceful until two nights ago.

We’ve talked to them twice in fifteen months - just in passing for a few minutes about seeing raccoons and about the guy’s truck - otherwise just nodding and smiling when we see each other. We moved into these houses within the same month last year. This is an HOA community (two separate HOAs, actually - one for the whole area and then one for the actual subdivision) and there are definitely rules about stringing visible wires from railings - but we aren’t the type who would run to the HOA without trying to sort it out first.

We don’t want to be the sticks in the mud neighbors so we’ve never complained to them or to security/HOA about anything - including noise (screaming and yelling and loud music) from weekly parties that run past midnight sometimes. . . maybe they think since we’ve never said anything about the noise, it doesn’t bother us - but we’ve just worked with it not wanting to interfere with their lives and their yard and fun. . .

. . . but living with these lights shining down on us into the future - into the yard and into our bedroom - is not an option.
Neither of us like confrontations - we would rather vanish than fight. If this was a rental, we would just stick it out until our lease was up and then move. We bought (have 30 year mortgage on) this house though so there is no option to move away just because of this - and we shouldn’t have to anyway.

Are we within our rights to ask them to take down the lights - without involving the HOA at all - and then talking to the HOA if they don’t? Or since we don’t really know them, should we go through the HOA - that sound like the wrong choice as a first move though. These houses are really close together. We wonder if these two will do what they want to do no matter what, based on the way it has been since they’ve moved in.
You might go over and say to them exactly what you've written which I underlined above. Then go to HOA if they don't take the lights down, or turn them off at night.

My guess would be they were put up for the event, and they decided to enjoy them for the weekend. But, after you described the horrible normally noisy conditions that you've put up with....Who knows.

I do think that you owe to yourselves to stop being such doormats. I find it ridiculous that you've never told them how disturbing they are. In my opinion, you've taught them how to treat you, which is without any regard or consideration because you've kept silent.

I had new neighbors move next door this fall. My previous neighbors were just as quiet as we are, and we so enjoyed them as neighbors.

They sold to a young couple, who at first seemed very polite and the young man had even made a point to introduce himself one evening as I pulled up into the shared front driveway.

But, an employee of his decided it was appropriate to pull across my lawn from my side of the driveway, and up to his back door thru my side yard in a big truck with big tires...causing really obvious ruts in my lawn.

I was really mad. It felt so disrespectful. I had to say something to my new neighbor the next time I saw him in the back yard. I made it very clear that I was mad, he apologized, said it was his employee and he would tell him....and it never happened again. It took only a couple of weeks until we were back to head nodding and waving.

My point is, you have got to set boundaries....I don't think it is too late in your case and this is a perfect excuse to do so with your neighbors.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:53 AM

392 posts, read 1,092,722 times
It turns out that the black tie event/celebration the other night was because the girl and guy never got to go to prom together because they weren't together in high school (I'm guessing high school was at least 20 years ago) - so they created their own prom with their friends.

I found this out last night when we got home - it was still daylight when the guy saw me across the wall between our yards and came over to apologize that they had dropped a couple of palm fronds onto our side when they were cutting them earlier in the afternoon. I was laughing and told him no worries, that I already saw them and threw them away, all was good. I said "congratulations on whatever you guys were celebrating on Saturday night !" - we could tell it was a big thing because of how everyone was dressed - and that's how the subject about prom came up.

He said they took down the big white luminescent orb light because they didn't want it to melt in the sun. The red ropes that crisscrossed the yard were gone too so it looked way nicer already. I casually asked about the clear rope lights, if they were taking those down (there was a ladder up against one of the palm trees where one string was attached) - he said they were commercial grade and safe. I said yeah, they're nice ones, the only thing is they light up our whole yard - all the way across and into the next yard too - and we like to sit out here in the dark and have privacy and sort of nodded my head toward the jacuzzi and indicated the deck chairs waving my hand. He said they definitely wouldn't be on all the time - that it would only be from time to time. I said that'd be cool - I thought no need to create a problem if there isn't one - maybe?

IF they really do just use them from time to time when there's a party and turn them off at a realistic hour instead of after midnight, maybe it'll work out for them and for us. They would probably trade not having the lights on for NOT being asked to be quiet. Last night it was completely dark outside - it was awesome. We will see what happens from now on. I didn't say anything about noise or parties or anything more about the lights. It was a nice chilled talk, both of us were friendly and we were laughing about the palm fronds so here's hoping (it seems like) maybe the communication is open in the future to ask or talk about things with them ...

The HOA fees aren't crazy like some - the total for both is just over $75/month. It would be nice not to bring the HOAs into it and just sort this out on our own. I left messages with both HOAs to ask about lights (no name or street/house number) so we will at least know if these lights are allowed in the CC&Rs. IF these types of wires and lights are allowed and these two can do anything they want in their yard whether the light affects us or not, then we will have to sort this out on our own with them so I'm really glad for the talk about prom and the palm fronds yesterday.

Yes, common decency would be that they would think about how the lights affect us and the use of our space - blackout shades on the slider to our bedroom won't do anything for the illumination of the entire backyard from these lights - and we should be able to sleep with the sheer curtains open if we want to (which we do).

I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond to my post !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: