Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 01:12 PM

27 posts, read 43,104 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about moving to L.A. for about a year now and I need to make a decision soon. Driving is not something that I want to do anymore and I'd like to move somewhere where I can live without a vehicle.

I currently live near Atlanta and here, if something says it's in Atlanta, it could be in any of probably twenty or more different counties. On top of that, basically no public transportation exists outside of the metro area and what little is here is extremely underwhelming. It will be for a long time to come even if they do build some of the proposed expansions. I recognize that there is significant urban sprawl in L.A. as well but the bus system seems pretty good and the light-rail is reliable as well. I'd be utilizing those resources as well as walking for most fairly short-distance trips and Uber for anything else. Or that's the plan, at least...

Is living completely car-free plausible in Los Angeles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 01:30 PM

68 posts, read 59,188 times
Possible, yes. I know some people here who are car-less, however they all prefer uber to buses and the metro.
And that can get pretty expensive... But I also don't think it's about money for them, it's about being comfortable in a car and not having to drive in horrible LA traffic themselves.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:20 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,017,081 times
It would really depend on your employment situation since many people need a car to get to/from work.

I work from home and drive my car about once a week. I could definitely live without a car and I calculated it would save me about $400 a month after renting my parking spot out. That would pay for a lot of Ubers. I've seriously thought about selling my car and using Lyft/Uber to get around and renting a car when I need to go somewhere for work. I can afford my car and I do like being able to just hop in and drive somewhere so I'm not rushing into living car free. If I sold my car I think I'd invest in an electric bike for making short trips in/around Santa Monica. My area is pretty walkable and there's a supermarket 1 block away.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:21 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,435,050 times
LA has very good public transit, but keep in mind that everything is spread out and traffic sucks. Your plan sounds great though, and you can definitely make it work. I have limited knowledge about Atlanta, but it seems like Metro is doing better than MARTA. If you can live near a major bus route or rail stop, then that'd make things easier too.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:07 PM

71 posts, read 60,978 times
You will need at least a bycicle if your favorite supermarket is too far to walk. Sometimes you have to wait 25 minutes for a bus, and it sucks for distances that you could cycle in 10 minutes.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:38 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,313,582 times
its totally doable. it all depends how far fro bus stops you live, where your work is relative, etc.
if you live in any neighborhood between santa monica and dtla, and your work isnt freakishly far or out of bus grid, yes.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:36 AM

121 posts, read 102,300 times
It's possible but you would probably be limiting yourself if you have to do things "long distance". My uncle doesn't drive and lives in the valley. He has an electric bicycle he uses that can get him throughout the valley. When he wants to go to Hollywood or DTLA, it's fairly easy for him to go to the Orange Line (it's walking distance from him), take that to the Red Line in North Hollywood and then just ride the metro. Long trip (I've done it), but cheap and reliable. Keep in mind though he is retired.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:54 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,854,903 times
Plenty of poorer people who can't afford to buy and/or drive a car live car-free every day.

The thing to worry is not whether it's possible, but how much time, energy, and opportunities you are willing to lose by not driving.

It's fun to imagine walking, biking, and bus-ing everywhere, but when it comes down to it, living that lifestyle is really inefficient in both time and physical energy, and there will be times when you NEED a car as well.

IMO, the best way to live in LA is to own a car AND reside close to important places (grocery stores, eateries, work) and transit (bus and rail).

Old 12-13-2015, 02:24 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,017,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
It's fun to imagine walking, biking, and bus-ing everywhere, but when it comes down to it, living that lifestyle is really inefficient in both time and physical energy, and there will be times when you NEED a car as well.
Uber and Lyft have really been a game changer though. It's inexpensive and convenient to use. I certainly wouldn't suggest walking, biking or public transit as the only means of getting around LA. It's just that for short trips, and running local errands, those are going to be the most efficient way of getting around. Being driven is preferable in some instances like going to the airport or having a few drinks at dinner and not worrying about driving home. Yes, poor people are forced to use public transit, bikes or walking for financial reasons but the OP does not appear to fall into that category. I'm not suggesting that living car-free comes without its compromises but, for the right person, it's certainly a viable option in a city like LA.

Car sharing services like Turo (formerly Relay Rides) and Zip Car are another resource for living car free. There is a car on my block that I could rent on Relay Rides if I wanted to. Also, Santa Monica just did a huge rollout of a bike sharing program. The bikes can be dropped off at any of the ~80 locations in Santa Monica and Venice.

Last edited by Dunbar42; 12-13-2015 at 02:34 PM..

Old 12-13-2015, 06:44 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,055,607 times
It's possible, but not pleasant. As mentioned, public transportation is s-l-o-w. Especially if those El Nino rivers of rain fall as expected. Many routes don't go at night, so that interferes with evening jobs and nightlife.

Also, sorry to say but that $1,200 a month apartment you were looking for 6 months ago is gone. Think $1,500 now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles