Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 01:38 PM

12,400 posts, read 8,186,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
The gang stuff has really died down...this is no longer the 90s. LA is one of the safest big cities in the country now, and for the most part, Blacks and Mexicans get along really well in California.
In the bad old days that was the major fear. When the few murders happen we let our fear take over. First black families in hard core Latino gang neighborhoods do face harassment and threats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 01:46 PM

30,905 posts, read 37,014,036 times
One thing about the beaches no one has mentioned so far....The summer weather and water temps at the beaches in the Los Angeles area and really all of California are much colder than people from the East Coast expect. Typical summer high temperatures in the beach towns in SoCal are in the mid to upper 70s (and typically a few degrees cooler than that right on the beach itself). Typical ocean water temps are in the 60s and only rise into the 70s during El Nino years (i.e. every few years).

Old 02-05-2015, 03:18 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,224,148 times
Not true. Every summer in SoCal typically sees the water temp reach 70F at least--in the OC and San Diego beaches, it climbs to 73F. Only in years like 2010 (foggy and cool summer) will the ocean remain in the 60sF the whole time, but even that year, the autumn season got really hot and dry. As for the beach weather, yes a lot of time it's in the 70sF, but that's warm weather--for many, it's far more pleasant than the heat & humidity of the East Coast. And many days on the beach will reach into the 80sF, sometimes even higher.

Besides, the last few years have seen much warmer temperatures, even in winter, and warmer SSTs. The real issue is the drought.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:45 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,190,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBangerzz View Post
I mean some News reporters need to do a better job I guess because I hear stuff like this on there tbh, so I agree with you, that where do people get information like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBangerzz View Post
Lmaoo actually I do watch the News on Tv and use Google and hear about this stuff, I mean it's not my words saying stuff like this happens in L.A. its the media.
Where are you hearing this? What news outlets/sites? It seems like your only information is 20+ years out of date.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Where are you hearing this? What news outlets/sites? It seems like your only information is 20+ years out of date.
It is a lot more recent than that. Normally it comes bundled with a federal case because of families being intimidated by moving into normally a San Gabriel Valley Latino neighborhood. Then came LA High student Jamiel Shaw thought to be a Blood because of the street he was on and a Spider-Man back pack by a recently released illegal alien 18th Street was only a few years ago in 2008 and that case is used for a "ripped from the headlines" story on police procedure TV shows.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:28 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,833,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
It is a lot more recent than that. Normally it comes bundled with a federal case because of families being intimidated by moving into normally a San Gabriel Valley Latino neighborhood. Then came LA High student Jamiel Shaw thought to be a Blood because of the street he was on and a Spider-Man back pack by a recently released illegal alien 18th Street was only a few years ago in 2008 and that case is used for a "ripped from the headlines" story on police procedure TV shows.
7 years ago is a a few years ago?

San Gabriel Valley is Los Angeles?

It's more like these people heard one story on the news once and decided that's what it must be like.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:40 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,428,653 times
For sure there is some of the "Longeyelund" type mentality to be found especially West Side.

However, I never found anything comparable to the hard core blue blood established wealthy burbs that "Longeyelund" is known for.

Now, if you're talking Jamaica, etc, sure, you'll find the single story, tumbleweed infested lot, version of that.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:42 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,428,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Not true. Every summer in SoCal typically sees the water temp reach 70F at least--in the OC and San Diego beaches, it climbs to 73F. Only in years like 2010 (foggy and cool summer) will the ocean remain in the 60sF the whole time, but even that year, the autumn season got really hot and dry. As for the beach weather, yes a lot of time it's in the 70sF, but that's warm weather--for many, it's far more pleasant than the heat & humidity of the East Coast. And many days on the beach will reach into the 80sF, sometimes even higher.

Besides, the last few years have seen much warmer temperatures, even in winter, and warmer SSTs. The real issue is the drought.
Still, while we may have some 70F water at the surface, here on the West Coast, down more than a foot or two, it is not warm. There is nothing like the Gulf Stream here.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
7 years ago is a a few years ago?

San Gabriel Valley is Los Angeles?

It's more like these people heard one story on the news once and decided that's what it must be like.
Yes the San Gabriel Valley is, most of it is Ls Angeles County is, And in any event the entire southland or the local broadcast media range, even in the cable and internet is "Los Angeles" to those looking to move in. Its like Brooklyn or Long Island, in fact all those other places beyond Manhattan being "New York" to those on the outside. The Shaw case remains in the news because of immigration politics. It is certainly not 20 years ago with another generation on hand. Many of Shaw's contemporaries are still in grad school or returning from one tour in the military and have not really started their careers and families yet.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:15 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,833,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Yes the San Gabriel Valley is, most of it is Ls Angeles County is, And in any event the entire southland or the local broadcast media range, even in the cable and internet is "Los Angeles" to those looking to move in. Its like Brooklyn or Long Island, in fact all those other places beyond Manhattan being "New York" to those on the outside. The Shaw case remains in the news because of immigration politics. It is certainly not 20 years ago with another generation on hand. Many of Shaw's contemporaries are still in grad school or returning from one tour in the military and have not really started their careers and families yet.
Did you mean to say New York City specifically? Because I would consider Brooklyn, Long Island, the Manhattan borough all to be a part of New York. That isn't incorrect. But basically broad generalizations, stereotypes, and false information affect the naive. As someone who moved to LA from the midwest, I thought Compton was a little more dangerous than it is. But I definitely didn't think there was this all out black on brown war taking place. And neither did most of the people I know who moved here subsequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Still, while we may have some 70F water at the surface, here on the West Coast, down more than a foot or two, it is not warm. There is nothing like the Gulf Stream here.
I agree, compared to lakes and bays on the Eastern side of the US, the Pacific is cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles