Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 12:05 AM

74 posts, read 181,604 times

Advertisements

i have never taken the 720,but i heard that the bus had 400,000 passengers a week so i decided to see what all the fuss was about. i took the 18 from DTLA to commerce center and i took the 720 from commerce to Santa Monica at 2:50PM. and the bus was never packed or full,there were no people standing and i got off at the very last stop at colorado/4th.

now,i decided to take the bus as a round trip back to commerce and got on at the first stop in santa monica at broadway/3rd. WOW...by the time the bus got to Wilshire/26th there were people standing and i had to exit because i did not want to stand the whole way. i took the next 720 from Wilshire/Bundy and it was somewhat full,but once we got to Wilshire/Westwood..i swear,about 30 people got on and i had to exit again. this time a new bus turned on Westwood and picked up about 10 of us. once we got to Wilshire/Robertson though,it was standing room only. i had to exit at Wilshire/La Brea and end the trip right there.

so,i am wondering,why were there so many people headed to DTLA at rush hour but the bus was not full going to Santa Monica? is it always like this? and do you guys think that when the Expo line gets extended to Santa Monica,will the 720 have less passengers? i hope so,because the ride honestly going back was a nightmare for me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 06:29 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
The westside is the generally the expensive area (Westwood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Century City, Miracle Mile) in terms of housing and income and they generally drive cars. The people who work in these areas and commute by transit live in the central area (Hollywood Koreatown Mid City) and the eastside. They are generally less wealthy like students, service workers. Afternoon commutes tend to get buses full going east towards Downtown. Most of them get off at Vermont or Western and either take the subway or another bus for north south routes.

The problem with 720 is that during rush hour commute there is so much congestion on Wilshire that buses are really slow going through. By the time the bus arrives, there will be more people waiting and the further stops will have no room and the bus driver lets passengers alight the bus but not embark.

I dont think the Expo to Santa Monica will make the 720 that much less crowded. I think youll find less people who are going from Downtown to Santa Monica beach on the 720, but the fastest way to get from DTLA to Westwood and Beverly Hills is the subway and bus combination. It will only get faster when the Wilshire Bus Only lanes for rush hour are extended through LA city. It is already much faster because most people have a TAP card.

Currently I think the fastest way to get from DTLA to Santa Monica is the Big Blue Bus Rapid which goes on the freeway

Old 06-19-2013, 08:46 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
yep. the 704 goes mostly the same route except along santa monica blvd and is more bearable, though that one can get bad too. and like the above poster said, the big blue on the 10 freeway is also a good bet though I've seen that one standing room only while ON the freeway, bad combo

Old 06-20-2013, 03:55 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,621 times
Your westbound travel on 720 at about 2:50PM is not the HEIGHT of the rush hour. Also, sometimes, at that time of the day, one gets lucky and is on a bus that is fairly close behind others. The buses ahead of you take the brunt of the load with your bus acting as a sweeper. Just the luck of timing of the bus among other buses. This is great when it happens, but by 4, it all changes.

Had you taken the westbound 720 at about 4:30, you would have been just as shocked on a crowded bus.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:38 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Actually the time I road the 720 to Westwood & Wilshire from dt and it was packed all the way and many times its been around 5pm. And yes there were quite a few white people on the bus. I thought I read somewhere it was has the most passengers than any other bus route in North America.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:53 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times
This line was so full Monday at 11:30pm that it passed us at Wilshire & Fairfax. Thankfully another one (standing room, with back doors inoperable) was along in 5 minutes so I still made my connection downtown.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:06 PM

249 posts, read 443,654 times
720 line in Los Angeles = 38 line in San Francisco

You're SOL if this is your commute I'm afraid, same as I was when I lived a block off Geary in the Outer Richmond in SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles