Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 11:32 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,327,310 times

Advertisements

Redondo Beach hopes to recapture pier's glory days - latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...8.photogallery

I remember going to a karaoke dive bar by the beach several years ago in Redondo Beach-is it still there?

Last edited by phoenixmike11; 06-16-2013 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: add more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 11:48 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,154,884 times
Seems like just yesterday they spent $$$ and hired Edward Carson Beall to redesign the pier. So much for that, I guess. Is it looking sad already?

Remember all the sea creatures stamped into the concrete, and the metal shade structures that were supposed to resemble sails? They looked pretty sharp the last time I was there and they were new--hard to believe it's time to redesign the pier again already.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:55 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,023,871 times
That area could definitely use the updating. With all the people who flock there on the weekends it almost certainly makes financial sense.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,102,443 times
I wonder if the glory days coincided with massive crowds of Asian families.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:24 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,546,201 times
I used to live in Redondo , but haven't been to the pier in many years. I also thought a major upgrade was done to the pier recently, but I guess not.

"But wary of the legacy of unfulfilled promises and development blunders, they are proceeding with caution. The last major effort to revitalize the area was abandoned amid protest from locals who hold a fierce loyalty for a place once considered the jewel of the South Bay."

Does this mean they didn't redevelop it because of the protest from locals? Or the locals protested because they didn't redevelop it? ...

Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 AM

23,693 posts, read 24,252,982 times
I lived there in the early 90's and always loved to bike around the pier area and up to El Segundo and back. Loved the area and hope that they bring back the "glory days"!

Old 06-19-2013, 02:28 PM

7 posts, read 12,320 times
I live in South Redondo now, just moved there three years ago. The plan they have is quite ambitious. But all of the locals say that they are cautious, because many plans have been laid in the past that never came to fruition.

I'll be watching. If it pans out like they say it will, it will transform the area. If it doesn't pan out, then...well, I guess it will be nothing new.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:35 PM
CMY

7 posts, read 288,367 times
I like right by the pier so I've kept a watchful eye on the plans; if they pull it off (and I think they will, as the City now controls all of the property) it'll be a huge boon to the area. From what I can tell, the actual pier and buildings on it will remain unchanged.. it's the acres of ocean view parking lots, pier plaza (ghost town) and laughably dated boardwalk area that will be getting the most attention.

Oddly I've also noticed a few restaurants putting money into renovations even though they have been earmarked for demolition on all proposed maps (Joe's Crab Shack, Delzano's and Samba). My guess is that they aren't planning on going quietly.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:54 AM

12,809 posts, read 15,098,918 times
When I lived in L.A. from birth to age 13, my parents took me there (along with Ports O' Call in San Pedro) many times.

Then, I've gone to the Redondo Pier as an adult once or twice. I hope they completely rehaul this place. Keep us posted OP & when it's done, I'll return & see how I like the place!

They really need to revitalize that Ports O' Call too by the way.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:01 PM

4 posts, read 3,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
Redondo Beach hopes to recapture pier's glory days - latimes.com

Revitalizing the Redondo Beach waterfront - latimes.com

I remember going to a karaoke dive bar by the beach several years ago in Redondo Beach-is it still there?
I stopped going there after it burned down in the 80s. I might return if they rebuild and make fun it again. Also, get rid of the "thugs just wanna have fun" element.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles