Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:33 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

The people in this thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...00-census.html

are going crazy becaus eit shows that LA was bigger than NY under the old metro definitions.

I donth think it is that hard to believe that LA was larger for a while
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 09:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
I don't see how new york can be larger than LA since (unfortunately) half of new york moved to LA.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:03 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,023 times
As a New Yorker, I can tell you most of us honestly don't care if you're bigger than us. Most NYers don't even have LA on their radar, unless they're planning to move here.

LA and NY are different as night and day. We have more in common with San Francisco.

Yes, we now know that most of Los Angeles is really a series of huge suburbs under the Los Angeles County umbrella trying to masquerade as a metropolis. The only thing is people won't know that until they MOVE here.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:55 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,765 times
As a New Yorker, I can tell you most of us honestly don't care if you're bigger than us. Most NYers don't even have LA on their radar, unless they're planning to move here.

LA and NY are different as night and day. We have more in common with San Francisco.

As a former New Yorker, I second what you said. There is so much going on in NYC, that people really don’t tend to think about LA unless they are thinking of ways to finally escape the cold. As for bragging rights about which city is bigger, who cares???

Old 11-18-2010, 11:41 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The people in this thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...00-census.html

are going crazy becaus eit shows that LA was bigger than NY under the old metro definitions.

I donth think it is that hard to believe that LA was larger for a while
I assume you want an actual answer to this and you're not just trying to start stuff, posting this where you don't expect any NYers to see it I guess. But I like to look at lots of boards.

So anyway, the answer is pretty obvious. If someone doesn't exactly understand what you were posting in that other thread than yeah, it really is that hard to believe that LA is in any way bigger than NY. It's just not on the same level. And that first list isn't a good reflection of reality. It's the old metro definition I know, but it's a pretty arbitrary definition and not really representative of a city's real area of influence, unless you think NYC's influence stops at pretty much the city limits.

It's not the city of LA with 469.1 sq mi versus the city of NY with 304.8 sq mi but LA County with 4,061 sq mi versus NY plus a lil extra. All that tells me is takes LA with an inflated area of more than 10 times the size of NYC to match it in population, and even then that's all it matches in. I guess the problem is people didn't see or know what was being compared, if you know this than obviously it's not so ridiculous, and it really speaks more to NY's size if anything, not LA's.

Anyway, I agree, not many people in real life would actually care about this. People in NYC don't think much about LA as much as I'm sure people in LA don't think much about NYC either.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:51 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
It's not the city of LA with 469.1 sq mi versus the city of NY with 304.8 sq mi but LA County with 4,061 sq mi versus NY plus a lil extra.
This. Most people don't realize that the "City of Los Angeles" is just the "tip of the iceberg". There are so many unincorporated areas of LA county, not to mention smaller independent cities that fall under the "Los Angeles" bubble.

I live in Santa Monica, but outside of LA, i tell people i live in "LA". They don't realize the area that is actually considered Los Angeles.

It would be like including "mainland" NY suburbs, North NJ suburbs and CT in the NYC population/size numbers.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I assume you want an actual answer to this and you're not just trying to start stuff, posting this where you don't expect any NYers to see it I guess. But I like to look at lots of boards.

So anyway, the answer is pretty obvious. If someone doesn't exactly understand what you were posting in that other thread than yeah, it really is that hard to believe that LA is in any way bigger than NY. It's just not on the same level. And that first list isn't a good reflection of reality. It's the old metro definition I know, but it's a pretty arbitrary definition and not really representative of a city's real area of influence, unless you think NYC's influence stops at pretty much the city limits.

It's not the city of LA with 469.1 sq mi versus the city of NY with 304.8 sq mi but LA County with 4,061 sq mi versus NY plus a lil extra. All that tells me is takes LA with an inflated area of more than 10 times the size of NYC to match it in population, and even then that's all it matches in. I guess the problem is people didn't see or know what was being compared, if you know this than obviously it's not so ridiculous, and it really speaks more to NY's size if anything, not LA's.

Anyway, I agree, not many people in real life would actually care about this. People in NYC don't think much about LA as much as I'm sure people in LA don't think much about NYC either.
Yes, I wanted an answer, and I don't care who sees it. It is an open board on the internet so I don't think anyone who post things are worried about other people seeing it.

anyway it is a good answer. Yes I don't think people realised that the old definition restricted New Yorks metropolitan area to little more than the city. But still I don't know why people got so wrked up about it

Old 11-19-2010, 07:50 PM

115 posts, read 149,330 times
And what answer could we possibly come up with? What type of answer are you looking for?

First of all, LA's metros population has never been greater than NYC. Ever.

In the real world, I'm guessing 98% of NYers don't give a crap about NYC metro's classification using old metro metrics or LA.

Please get a life.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyy View Post
And what answer could we possibly come up with? What type of answer are you looking for?

First of all, LA's metros population has never been greater than NYC. Ever.

In the real world, I'm guessing 98% of NYers don't give a crap about NYC metro's classification using old metro metrics or LA.

Please get a life.
lol, you get a life, one that can read, if you go to the link you would see that under the old definition LA metro was larger.

you don't have to be so mean and nasty, calm down sheesh

Old 11-20-2010, 02:29 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, you get a life, one that can read, if you go to the link you would see that under the old definition LA metro was larger.

you don't have to be so mean and nasty, calm down sheesh
The problem is NYers don't care if LA is larger in size or population. We really don't. Why people would think we would is puzzling.

We don't care about the size of any other city outside of NY either. Why should we???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles