Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 12:15 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times

Advertisements

Yup. Nearly ruined by drunks and cidiots.
It was a total horror show a few years ago but the locals seemed to have gained some ground in the battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 07:15 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
My parents took us to Montauk point for the first time in 1970. Lots of antique shops and farms. Bluff at the lightouse was much higher than last I saw (2017). In 1970, we ate at Gosman's Dock and the fish was fresh and well prepared. The ocean beaches around Ditch Plains were beautiful, including the swinging singles beach known as Asparagus Beach. It earned this moniker because everyone on the beach stood up mixing. Looking from a distance, they all looked like stalks of asparagus. On July 4, 1970, the town parking lot by the IGA was packed with VW microvans and other assorted hippie regalia as the hippies invaded for the weekend. My 4th grade friend stayed with his family, in the town of Montauk, at a hotel, and mentioned he saw syringes in the stair wells.

Back then and even as late as the late 1980s, Montauk was a sleepy, earthy town, great for fishing, great for surfing, great for boating. They had an airport and a much larger commercial fishing fleet. It was my kind of town. The 60s, 70s and 80s were the golden age for Montauk and the North Fork as well. As an adult, I brought my now adult children out east to share these wonderful places with them. And like me, they too have great memories of this special place.
That sounds really cool. I wish I could back to a time when Montauk was a lot more enjoyable. Do you happen to have any pictures you could share? I'm sure we'd all love to see them.

I still love Montauk but the only time I'd ever consider going is after Labor day. That's when most of the trash leaves and it becomes nice again.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:10 PM

10 posts, read 52,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonannine View Post
Or, as the broken neon sign on the roof read the night my family arrived in March of 1981 to take possession and turn it into The Landing, "asis Motel"- the " O" being broken.
As-is, indeed! It was a complete wreck. We fixed it up and operated as a motel until 1985 when renovations were completed and we opened as a Co-op.
The former owners of the Oasis, the Valciches, probably spelled wrong, also owned Four Oaks store and Pizza Pier.
My family was the Trappeys, Shelby and Ellie.

Hope that helps!

Some time ago I posted a question regarding the Oasis Motel. You responded that your family took possession of it and fixed it up.

I might have asked you already, but PLEASE... do you have ANY pictures of the Oasis Motel from before your family fixed it up or just around the time you took possession?

very respectfully,

Bryan
Moderator cut: sorry , no private e-mails . Have people DM you instead

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-05-2020 at 06:20 PM..

Old 03-31-2023, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 711 times
Anyone happen to remember a restaurant called The Flying Fish? I know my parents took us kids there in the '70s while we were vacationing in Montauk, but I have no recollection of exactly where it was, how long it took to get there, or anything except that it was on the fancier side (besides the unforgettable name).

Old 04-05-2023, 03:07 AM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
From the sounds of it, sounds like the east end was a hidden paradise back in the day. I went a few times, but couldn’t justify a 2 hour ride. If you aren’t rich or own a house there, there is no reason to be there. Not really much to do there either, unless again, you own a house.
Sounds like most of the island was a bit better before overpopulation took place.

Old 04-06-2023, 08:04 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
From the sounds of it, sounds like the east end was a hidden paradise back in the day. I went a few times, but couldn’t justify a 2 hour ride. If you aren’t rich or own a house there, there is no reason to be there. Not really much to do there either, unless again, you own a house.
Sounds like most of the island was a bit better before overpopulation took place.
We used to go to enjoy the fresh farm produce and the water sports. There's some great camping spots, an arts scene (since the 50s), and lots of nature watching. During the 80s, the farms became converted to wineries. At first, they seemed very nice and all of the tastings were free. Then it became just too much. We never had a house there, although we know plenty of people who had bought homes in the early 70s when the area was quieter, mostly people in the arts. We would make multiple day trips during the spring and summer. And of course, many people stopped at the Lobster Roll when it was just a stand in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-06-2023, 09:12 PM

Does anyone have any pictures of the Oasis from the 70's or 80's, before the name change? I have no childhood photos from this wonderful time of my life. I guess I'm trying to relive my childhood. LoL
Moderator cut: please do not post private e-mails here. People can DM you instead.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-08-2023 at 06:35 AM..

Old 09-23-2023, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonannine View Post
Or, as the broken neon sign on the roof read the night my family arrived in March of 1981 to take possession and turn it into The Landing, "asis Motel"- the " O" being broken.
As-is, indeed! It was a complete wreck. We fixed it up and operated as a motel until 1985 when renovations were completed and we opened as a Co-op.
The former owners of the Oasis, the Valciches, probably spelled wrong, also owned Four Oaks store and Pizza Pier.
My family was the Trappeys, Shelby and Ellie.

Hope that helps!
I know this has been awhile..... but would you happen to have any pictures of the oasis hotel or know of anyone willing to share the images or post them somewhere online like Facebook or similar?

Old 09-25-2023, 08:26 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSinAZ View Post
I know this has been awhile..... but would you happen to have any pictures of the oasis hotel or know of anyone willing to share the images or post them somewhere online like Facebook or similar?
This OP has only one post since 2018. I doubt she has ever come back to this topic.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:37 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
I agree with Lubby. Have you reached out to the Montalk Historical Society?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island