Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:10 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times

Advertisements

I really get the impression the roads are much safer without you on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 07:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbs4 View Post
im taking it in wantagh very soon> but now it sounds so scary ..parallel parking by a drveway, large intersection then left under a bridge then go to left lane to turn idk it sounds scary now.. maybe i shud cancel it and take it in laurelton i heard that was an easy place too. what exactly happends by the road test from the second u get there im getting nervous!
If you get the crabby lady at Wantagh, you're toast.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:51 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena77 View Post
Hi there,

So I took my NYS road test today and failed...looking for a little help on what I can do better for next time. This is my 2nd time taking the test...the first time I failed because when I started the car, it instantly swerved left when I tapped on the accelerator, making me even more nervous. After I straightened out the car, I had to stop for a stop sign, and then make a right. My view was obstructed from the left, so I inched out, and seeing no one, I tapped on the accelerator to go right...just as somebody came speeding out from the left side. My examiner slammed on the brakes for me and failed me on the spot. This was in Cunningham Park in Queens.
Sounds like you weren't in control of your car. I would have failed you too. Just remember -- driving is a privilege not a right. Some people just can't drive.

Quote:
So today, I took the exam over in Wantagh. Everything seemed to be going great...did everything the examiner told me to. Got to the parallel park, did it alright (examiner had me parallel park in front of a driveway...and the curb next to it was a little curved), except when I had straightened out the car, and pulled it up a little closer to the car in front of me, I noticed it was too far from the curb. So I began to fix it, and he stopped me and told me to start the park over again. I did, and then was told to keep going. When I pulled out, he said I was on the wrong side of the road for a split second (even though there was nobody around and I went back on the right side immediately), and docked off points for that. Then he took off points for "excessive maneuvers" on parking, even though I was just about to fix the park myself.
You deserve to lose points if you are driving on the wrong side of the road, as well as taking too many motions to actually park. Again, you need to learn how to handle your car.

Quote:
Keep going, I'm asked to make a 3-point turn...did so quite well, or so I thought, and then he took off points because I wasn't looking behind me long enough (I was literally looking everywhere while making the turn, behind me, in front of me, left and right with blinkers at each part of the turn). After that, I'm told to make a few more lefts and rights, and stop at stop signs, which I do very well...up until the end of the exam. He told me to keep going and then make a left turn immediately after the traffic light under a bridge (this was after an intersection).

What I didn't know was that after the intersection, the lanes were very short leading up to the traffic light, and I found myself on the right lane. So I put my blinker up, look in the side mirror and in my blind spot (there was no one around), and begin to pull into the left turn lane. Halfway through, when I'm in the middle lane, the examiner stops me, tells me that was a dangerous maneuver, and took off even more points.
This makes no sense.

Quote:
Then he said 'make the left and we're going back to the start point'. By this time I had gotten really frazzled, and prepared to make my left turn at that intersection (keeping the car straight with the left blinker on), waiting until the cars going straight had gone. He started then to yell at me to turn, asking what I was waiting for, and when I said I was waiting for the cars going straight to pass, he yelled at me to not do that...so I quickly made my turn. Then he grumbled "Goddamn it" or something, had me park curbside, and then pretty much threw me my examination sheet, said nothing but "you need more practice", and then stormed out of the car. He did say hello, how are you to me when he got into the car, and then...this.
You do need more practice.

Quote:
I've had lots of practice driving before and know I could use a teesny bit more practice on parallel parking to make it perfect. I spent about a month or two straight driving with my parents and a driving instructor, and they tell me I'm a good driver...I've driven tons of times in all sorts of environments, pretty much drove all over Queens and Long Island, including the LIE and Southern State Pkwy TONS of times, have never hit anything, gone over a curb, or gotten into any accidents (or anything close to it) at all.
If you were a "good driver" you would have passed...

Quote:
I borrowed my instructor's car, and while on the way back, he couldn't seem to figure out how I failed (with like 60 points...), but he said "at the end, you might have made the lane change a little too late", even though I only did it because there was nobody around me.

So I'm not understanding what exactly happened...I was perfectly calm for the road test and was fairly confident, even if I did draw a couple of blanks, and aside from that one part at the end (which I'm still a little baffled about), I can't seem to quite figure out what I should do next. I'm not sure if I was just graded harshly, or if I really do need more practice Thanks in advance for reading all this and for any advice you can give...I'd really, really like to pass my 3rd try.

I didn't mind taking the test again in Wantagh, it was very straightforward, I just don't want to get that same examiner again >.>
You were obviously not perfectly calm. You stated you were frazzled and were taking too many opportunities to do certain things. IMHO driving exams are not harsh enough -- look at all the morons on the road thinking they are the best drivers in the world, yet can't even make simple maneuvers like proper left turns into their lanes, parking properly (not even parallel parking!) and following simple turns (i.e. multiple cars at an intersection.. take turns going rather than gunning it and praying).

Old 08-18-2010, 08:15 PM

537 posts, read 1,447,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
MY DS had points deducted because he made a full stop at a stop sign. Then he inched up to see, saw it was clear & then proceeded.

The inspector wanted a second full stop at the stop sign.

You should really do this at every stop sign during a road test. Stop behind the sign. Then inch up and double check you are clear by stopping again.

If you don't stop the second time, the instructor can fail you if they feel you did not have FULL view of the crossing traffic from where you stopped the first time.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 31,964 times
I bet it was an old man with crasy hair, he did the same thing to me fell me for no reason and insult me. I hope the next time I go I don't have to take the test with him. and I have a question how many time can you fell the test

Old 09-04-2010, 10:16 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertOgando View Post
I bet it was an old man with crasy hair, he did the same thing to me fell me for no reason and insult me. I hope the next time I go I don't have to take the test with him. and I have a question how many time can you fell the test
Well, felling a test is not very common, I'm not even sure how you'd do that. If you can't spell you really shouldn't be behind the wheel. And crasy hair?

Last edited by sickofnyc99; 09-04-2010 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: felling, what the....

Old 09-05-2010, 10:19 AM

654 posts, read 2,119,738 times
I think the easiest site is in Garden City, Park. They take you on all side streets and the streets seem extra wide without much traffic.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:31 AM

63 posts, read 238,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
I think the easiest site is in Garden City, Park. They take you on all side streets and the streets seem extra wide without much traffic.
I took my test in Laurelton, Queens because I heard GC is known for failing people on the first attempt.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:39 AM

63 posts, read 238,214 times
I went to the driving site with my instructor and he showed me the route the examiners usually take on the test. Also, the examiners, like to see you using that the left mirror constantly. Don't forget to turn your head to look over your shoulder when you make a right turn or when you parallel park. Do not use that right mirror. You must stop at the stop sign at the line, then move after 3 seconds. I wish you all the best. I really think Laurelton is the easiest site to get your licenses. Go early in the morning and try to be one of the first 5 testers. The examiners just had breakfast and are fresh and hopefully the person before you did not screw up. I wish you all the best!!!

Old 10-23-2011, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 30,056 times
does anyone know the exact address for the garden city road test location? i need to put it on to my gps..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island