Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 08:20 PM

126 posts, read 332,271 times

Advertisements

We are closing in on our home search finally and have narrowed it down to the following towns:

How would you stack these up against each other based on our criteria?
Good Commute to Penn, Good SD, Community Feel (welcoming/friendly, not stuck up), Nice local stores etc. Budget is less than $550K but we've found a few properties in each within that range.

Mineola - East Williston SD
Williston Park - Herricks SD
Lynbrook
RVC - RVC or Oceanside SD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 08:29 AM

177 posts, read 893,131 times
I can only speak of the town I know, but RVC is a great place. We have Oceanside schools, which are good (went through the OSD myself ages ago). The utilities are less expensive and very dependable. There is a nice sense of community and lots of restaurants and shopping. It's a nice town and the commute to Penn is pretty good - 35-45 minutes, whether you catch a local or an express.
Good luck!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 8,847 times
Williston Park is a wonderful, extremely tight middle class community, largely Catholic. Herricks SD is large and serves a few neighborhoods. It is now about 65% Asian-South Asian, and rated very good, but it used to be excellent. East Willy SD is still excellent. It's very small with about 50% of the students being from wealthy to very wealthy families.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:46 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
those are all solid areas/SD's with good commutes. At this point, you may be better off finding the best possible house in those areas. In other words, if you find your dream house in Lynbrook at a great price, don't get hung up on the fact that the SD might be ranked slightly lower than say RVC or one of the others.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:18 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,989 times
On the last report cards, Herricks was 47% Asian. It was going up a couple of points a year so it might be 50% now, but not 60-65%. It is the most Asian SD on LI, though.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:09 PM

487 posts, read 545,236 times
Default MINEOLA School District

If people would educate themselves about the MINEOLA School District, they would see that it is the best kept secret in Nassau County.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 AM

4 posts, read 6,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two boys View Post
If people would educate themselves about the MINEOLA School District, they would see that it is the best kept secret in Nassau County.

Hi, I'm interested in hearing more, could you elaborate on what you've seen? I'm hopeful as it seems like nice neighborhoods, great affordable houses and a perfect location for me, but the school ratings are scaring me off.

ETA: I should say that there is little information on some of the school rating sites and ones I do see give it 3/5 stars, etc. I'm looking for a bit more information! I'm not from NY originally and do not quite understand how the Regents scores are figured, etc. Excuse my amateur questions! = )

Last edited by hanihoney36; 10-01-2012 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 10-04-2012, 05:15 PM

192 posts, read 354,973 times
I grew up in Oceanside. I love RVC! Easy to get to the city and plenty of things to do in town.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:38 AM

168 posts, read 289,750 times
Hi,

For schools, I'd recommend you to look at this:

https://reportcards.nysed.gov/view.p...y=28&year=2011

Click on one school district and then at the top you have the overview. Below that you can see school by school. But the overview will give you an overall sense. The reports are long, but go towards the end and see the graphics for English-Math-Science and that'd be a good indication, in general. There are always exceptions and particular cases, etc... but, as to get a feeling...

Then, there are quite a bunch of catholic schools around and many people in Mineola send their kids to them. You save money on the house, then you pay it the catholic school... you always end up paying to somebody :-D

Regards,
Hipo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island