Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,160 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My wife and I are thinking about a move, and one place we are considering is Manorville, LI. We have heard that there is a higher cancer rate out near Brookhaven Nat'l Lab. can anyone local to the area elaborate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2006, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,154 times
Larry,
I live on Long Island. There is always talk about how high the cancer rate is on Long Island compaired to other parts of the country but I don't think anything official has ever been done. I know a lot of people from Manorville and I don't think there is any difference (statisicly sp??) from where they live and where we live (about 30 - 40 miles away from Brookhaven Labs). Long Island is a wonderful place, plenty to do and see. If you can afford it, this is the best place to be. You get all 4 seasons, you are close to the best city in the world, you have beaches surrounding you, top rate wineries to visit that could give Napa a run for it's money. It's just a wonderful place to be. I hope you still decide to move here.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:11 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,772 times
I don't know if any formal research supports these statistics but I have heard something like 1 in 4 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer on LI. I have also heard that the rate is higher in Nassau County (BHL is in Suffolk). I used to work near BHL and there were a lot of young people who developed cancer there. I don't know if it was a higher rate than any other place but it seemed abnormally high.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:54 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,095,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
I don't know if any formal research supports these statistics but I have heard something like 1 in 4 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer on LI. .
There was a study done that showed those numbers. I am sure that if you search the net you will find the source. Also people are getting thyroid and prostrate CA left and right up here in NY for some reason. I think it is all the pollution, don't forget the Hudson and the toxic, radioactive materials that were dumped into there in the 80's..people have forgotten all about THAT. Oh, there is silt covering it up so it makes it all ok....sorry I forgot.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Hello,
My wife and I are thinking about a move, and one place we are considering is Manorville, LI. We have heard that there is a higher cancer rate out near Brookhaven Nat'l Lab. can anyone local to the area elaborate?
Why LI???? Where would you work?? Can you afford a house there?

I can think of 1,000,000 better places to live in than LI.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:09 PM

104 posts, read 386,925 times
Where would you work? LOL

Ever heard of New York City?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Why LI???? Where would you work?? Can you afford a house there?

I can think of 1,000,000 better places to live in than LI.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Yorker View Post
Where would you work? LOL

Ever heard of New York City?
Sorry I didn't mean it that way I meant more in the line of salary wise. A lot of people have a very hard time making ends meet in LI, but they have what seem to be good jobs. The higher cost of living and taxes seem to eat it up. My cousin is a teacher out there and his ex-fiancee was a physical therapist and they had a hard time. He is moving back upstate.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:06 AM

I understand.

Teaching and physical therapy are decent jobs. But good enough for Long Island? That's a judgement call.

Why did they break up?

Quote:
Sorry I didn't mean it that way I meant more in the line of salary wise. A lot of people have a very hard time making ends meet in LI, but they have what seem to be good jobs. The higher cost of living and taxes seem to eat it up. My cousin is a teacher out there and his ex-fiancee was a physical therapist and they had a hard time. He is moving back upstate.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Yorker View Post
I understand.

Teaching and physical therapy are decent jobs. But good enough for Long Island? That's a judgement call.

Why did they break up?

She did not want to leave LI, he could not afford to buy a home. (You are talking an upstate guy used to wide open fields and horses and the like) So...she moved back in with daddy and he is looking for employment in upstate NY!

I think that if they were both PT's that they could have afforded a starter home - but it would have been a stretch. Westhampton Beach area is not exactly friendly on the wallet! Especially if you are looking for an acre or so of land.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:56 PM

How old is she?

Maybe she'd like to live in NYC with me?

Quote:
She did not want to leave LI, he could not afford to buy a home. (You are talking an upstate guy used to wide open fields and horses and the like) So...she moved back in with daddy and he is looking for employment in upstate NY!

I think that if they were both PT's that they could have afforded a starter home - but it would have been a stretch. Westhampton Beach area is not exactly friendly on the wallet! Especially if you are looking for an acre or so of land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island