Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 03:56 PM

20,323 posts, read 21,122,211 times

Advertisements

The screw in ones don't replace the can which is the culprit.
You need to use the ones that have the spring loaded tabs. They essentially seal the opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 08:03 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,072,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The screw in ones don't replace the can which is the culprit.
You need to use the ones that have the spring loaded tabs. They essentially seal the opening.

The Cree retrofits do seal the room-side (ceiling) opening. They have tabs that hold it inside the existing can but the electrical connection is a medium-bulb-base screw-in to replace the removed conventional bulb. The trim/light is one single piece that fits tightly against the ceiling surface. I have six of them in the kitchen and you literally cannot even slide a piece of paper between the ceiling surface and the Cree "trim ring" edges; the fit is that tight.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:13 AM

20,323 posts, read 21,122,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
The Cree retrofits do seal the room-side (ceiling) opening. They have tabs that hold it inside the existing can but the electrical connection is a medium-bulb-base screw-in to replace the removed conventional bulb. The trim/light is one single piece that fits tightly against the ceiling surface. I have six of them in the kitchen and you literally cannot even slide a piece of paper between the ceiling surface and the Cree "trim ring" edges; the fit is that tight.
Nice!

Old 12-25-2019, 09:25 AM

18 posts, read 8,325 times
1000 sqft cape with full bsmt.
Insulated well.

We use 200 gallons a year. Night temp 69f day temp 71f.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:52 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,072,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notme1373 View Post
1000 sqft cape with full bsmt.
Insulated well.

We use 200 gallons a year. Night temp 69f day temp 71f.
Um, I find that a bit hard to believe, even though your house is small. There is no way that you are getting through 12 months of heat and hot water on less than a single tankful of oil and NO additional sources of fuel for either use. You'd have to be living in a bunker with 6" thick solid walls and zero windows to accomplish that, especially given the thermostat temps you describe.

Now, if you are using oil to supplement electric heat or a wood-burning or pellet stove, okay, I can see using only 200 gals of oil for that, over 12 months in a small house. Even over just one heating season which is six months (mid Oct through mid April.) But 200 gallons alone fueling those temps and hot water usage for a full year?? Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 12-25-2019 at 12:37 PM..

Old 12-25-2019, 03:02 PM

18 posts, read 8,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Um, I find that a bit hard to believe, even though your house is small. There is no way that you are getting through 12 months of heat and hot water on less than a single tankful of oil and NO additional sources of fuel for either use. You'd have to be living in a bunker with 6" thick solid walls and zero windows to accomplish that, especially given the thermostat temps you describe.

Now, if you are using oil to supplement electric heat or a wood-burning or pellet stove, okay, I can see using only 200 gals of oil for that, over 12 months in a small house. Even over just one heating season which is six months (mid Oct through mid April.) But 200 gallons alone fueling those temps and hot water usage for a full year?? Sorry, I'm not buying it.
I use oil Nov-April, inclusive. Water comes from gas boiler. We had a gas line into the stove so I just extended it to the boiler. Our oil furnace prior to that used about 20 gal/mo just for hot bat/sink water and was highly inefficient.

I added about 4 inches of thickness to the exterior, yes as you said, solid walls. most NYC homes in upscale neighborhoods have even thicker walls to not let go of heat. Just today for example, our furnace did not even turn on. The heat is contained well.

If we set it to 78-80F though, it burns 400ish I guess. But at that point, we'd convert to Natgas as there is no point in spending 200/mo on oil when gas costs 70/mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: