Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:33 PM

265 posts, read 1,549,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Overtaxed I'm jealous, My fixed price with Petro is 2.79
I dumped Petro in favor of Slomins last Sept (2005). At that time, Petro's fixed price "deal" was almost 20 cents/gal higher than Slomins' best price.

About 3 weeks before my Slomins contract was up for renewal (Aug 2006), I called to request an oil delivery (sneakily wanting to get the first autumn delivery under the 2005 price!). They transferred me to a salesperson who said they normally don't deliver "that early", however, if I wanted to renew my fixed price contract at the same (2005) price of $2.64/gal they'd do so.

My plumbing/heating guy told me last winter that customers were leaving Petro in droves because their pricing was among the highest. Ironically, when I called them (Sept 05) to say I was changing companies and would not accept any further deliveries from Petro, they didn't even make an attempt to keep me as a customer by offering to meet or beat Slomins' fixed price. Must be nice to not need to retain customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 09:19 AM

5,534 posts, read 7,128,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
I dumped Petro in favor of Slomins last Sept (2005). At that time, Petro's fixed price "deal" was almost 20 cents/gal higher than Slomins' best price.

About 3 weeks before my Slomins contract was up for renewal (Aug 2006), I called to request an oil delivery (sneakily wanting to get the first autumn delivery under the 2005 price!). They transferred me to a salesperson who said they normally don't deliver "that early", however, if I wanted to renew my fixed price contract at the same (2005) price of $2.64/gal they'd do so.

My plumbing/heating guy told me last winter that customers were leaving Petro in droves because their pricing was among the highest. Ironically, when I called them (Sept 05) to say I was changing companies and would not accept any further deliveries from Petro, they didn't even make an attempt to keep me as a customer by offering to meet or beat Slomins' fixed price. Must be nice to not need to retain customers.

Now it's funny because I dumped Slomins for Petro. My contract was up in May 2006. I was paying 2.07 to Slomins and they were raising me to 2.89.
At that time oil and gas were out of control and everyone feared what winter heating costs would rise to. I called quiet a few oil companies and those that could quote fixed pricing were in the high 2's. Petro came in best with a $50.00 service contract and fixed price of 2.79 until 5/07.
Surprisingly oil came down that Autumn and by then it was too late.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:22 PM

156 posts, read 711,652 times
I lived on Long Island (Nassau) all of my life before moving to Florida.
First of all, I never got an electric bill under $200 a month, in the summer the bills are much higher because few houses have central air and the window a/c take much electric. I would be very cautious about trying to buy a house making only $48,000 a year, after taxes you will probably only take home about $650 a week, or about $2600 a month, so depending on your mortgage and taxes, that doesnt really leave too much money for other things. Just think it over VERY carefully! Long Island is a wonderful place to live...if you can afford it!!

Old 01-17-2007, 05:58 PM

7 posts, read 22,952 times
Alright it seems like alot of you are suggesting that some one cant live on that kind of money in Long Island. So then, where would one who is working on Long Island live that is not necessarily ON Long Island, but near enough to commute to, thats affordable. One buddy of mine said that some live in New Jersey, but I would think thats an awful long commute, or is there a shuttle. I should say I find it hard to believe that somebody couldnt live off of 50k, but maybe thats the poor student in me.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:25 PM

242 posts, read 1,019,066 times
There is no place other than L.I. that you could live with working in Suffolk County. And no, 48k with a wife and child is not enough to live safely/comfortably in the area. Where are you coming from?

Old 01-18-2007, 06:02 AM

265 posts, read 1,549,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmy3grls View Post
I lived on Long Island (Nassau) all of my life before moving to Florida. First of all, I never got an electric bill under $200 a month, in the summer the bills are much higher because few houses have central air and the window a/c take much electric.
Your costs seemed very high to me, so I went to my bookkeeping software and pulled up all my LIPA (electric only) bills for the past 12 months. They were (starting with Jan 2006):
$151, $137, $146, $112, $117, $186, $254, $259, $309, $327, $116, and $138

This is for a large house with 3 TVs with VCR/DVDplayer/sound systems; 2 computers; all electric appliances; separate hot water tank; two central AC zones; whole-house electronic air cleaner system which runs pretty much constantly; inground sprinkler system; year-round hottub; and a young adult who never seems to remember to turn out a light when he leaves a room. The four months of higher billing are for usage occurring in June-Sept which is when the A/C and sprinkler system both come into use, and with an extra person home for the summer from college, so that jump is expected.

IMHO a frugal family living in an apartment or small house without many of the above listed bells and whistles could easily keep their electric bill to $100/mo or less.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:53 AM

29 posts, read 144,208 times
Hi there,You should Look into Newburgh NY its about approx 1 hour away and you can live comfortable on 48,000 pr yr as you mentioned,Car insurance is also a lot cheeper,so you may be better off,Im from Longisland ,ive lived there my whole life,but it was so hard for me to buy a house or be able to live comfortably,im currently upstate NY Near Albany and my insurance is now 850.00 per yr in stead of 1600 a yr on longisland,so its a big diffrence! Good Luck = )

Old 01-18-2007, 10:22 AM

156 posts, read 711,652 times
So, your monthly average was $187 a month for electric? Mine was probably higher because I had a pool, and three kids that rarely turn off the tv when they leave the room (haha!!). I would plan my budget VERY carefully when thinking of moving to Long Island with that type of salary! Maybe you could buy a bigger house, make it into a 2 family house, and rent out an apartment. Many people in Long Island do that, and they get nice rents every month to offset their mortgages. Good luck whatever you choose!!

Old 01-28-2007, 10:10 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,953,236 times
Smile moved out of Long Island

Hi, you will need more than 48k a year to live comfortable on long island. I was born and raised on long island. I grew up in West Islip (upper middle class community on the south shore) and then we moved east to Wading River (upper middle class community on north shore) in 1993...well...I don't dispute that Long Island is a great place to live...especially the east end, which now in 2006/2007 has changed drastically...it is being overpopulated, overconstructed, etc...There were many motivating factors to move and give up what I have always known there, I do miss some things, but the pros list was more than the cons list...I don't miss the high taxes, the high prices, the fuel oil bills, the LIPA surcharge/tax adjustment, or whatever they are calling it now...I just could not make it on Long Island anymore, I am on 33, and I felt like I was drowning and could never get ahead...I have no debt, made a good salary, but was still unable to buy home. I considered the Shirley/Mastic area for a first home, but felt very uncomfortable in the area...I guess I was spoiled growing up in very nice towns...I rented a place for over 8 years (same place) but could never get ahead...now that I have left NY, and I am here in North Carolina, I see light at the end of the tunnell...I found a comparable job, salary is a little lower (for now) but with no debt, I can purchase my first home, have property taxes under 2,000 a year, save more, and really have something to show for it at the end of the year...working and paying rent on Long Island was getting me nowhere fast...here I will be able to work, pay off a nice home, save more money for retirement, and the overall quality of life is much better...I still have many friends and family in NY to pay visits too...so an 1.5 hour plane ride or 10 hour car ride is worth it...Many reading this may say...well you're in the south, the grass can't always be greener on the other side of the fence or well what you save in housing you lose in salary...I used to think all of that...but with research over the past year and finally making the move 3 months ago...It was the best decision I have made...so...making 48k a year on Long Island, IMHO will be rough, I was single and couldn't do it...if your wife works, maybe with supplementing the income, maybe...but what kind of life is that...again quality of life...I just wanted to post and say how great Long Island was and how Great North Carolina is...

Old 01-29-2007, 12:00 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,923,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange+Blue View Post
Alright it seems like alot of you are suggesting that some one cant live on that kind of money in Long Island. So then, where would one who is working on Long Island live that is not necessarily ON Long Island, but near enough to commute to, thats affordable. One buddy of mine said that some live in New Jersey, but I would think thats an awful long commute, or is there a shuttle. I should say I find it hard to believe that somebody couldnt live off of 50k, but maybe thats the poor student in me.
Jersey is out of the question to commute you will hate your life very quickly. I just moved off LI and lived there most of my life 40+ years, and it was tough on twice that salary because of the cost of living which you will find a lot of information here. I am biased because I just can't see why if you had a choice that people would even consider LI unless you like traffic, paying a high price for everything compared to other areas, rude, rude people (I know there are many nice people too). Beachs are great but how often are you going to the beach and forget about living near one (walking distance). If you like malls and fast food and Home Depot, it is the Las Vegas of that type of entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island