Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM

11 posts, read 6,769 times

Advertisements

I am in the planning phase of redoing my kitchen and trying to budget for parts of the job. I am looking at a new backslash after removing the old Formica one (yes its that old) Approx 25 sq feet, ceramic or natural stone , one outlet , i know there are a lot of variables but I am getting a huge variance in the the labor cost for that type of job.

Any suggestions, or ballpark (and it can be really ball park) I'm seeing 500-1700, which seems like a really wide range for the same job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM

1,472 posts, read 762,949 times
If you can find a good local handyman I would think 600-800 for the days work. They can handle that job easily. Company I can see throwing you 1700 dollar quotes. Way to much for 25 square feet.

Are you tiling floors ? Can you have them do it at a better price ?

I’m getting quotes for 100-125k for a kitchen full gut kitchen with semi custom cabinets without appliances. Things are out of control.

Can always try Home Depot and Lowe’s if you’re unsure also with how the companies are your calling.

Last edited by 94nasupra; Yesterday at 07:19 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM

20,081 posts, read 20,883,901 times
$500-1700 sounds right.
Cost of the tile can vary wildly depending on what you go with.
Labor to install can vary depending on what tile you go with.
Type of grout(sanded, smooth, colored).
Removal of old backsplash.
Dead average ballpark should be around a grand.
You can go with Pedro for a cheaper price and take the gamble that he will stand behind his work and not pull a Houdini, or a licensed & insured contractor that you can hold accountable if any issues arise.

Ultimately you’ll have to get a few guys down to go over the job and go with the one you feel most comfortable with. Don’t let the price alone make your decision.

Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM

11 posts, read 6,769 times
Thanks for the detailed responses - unfortunately the 500-1700 is for labor alone. I had factored it at around 800-1000 max for labor (no demo, I provide materials)

Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,333,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
If you can find a good local handyman I would think 600-800 for the days work. They can handle that job easily. Company I can see throwing you 1700 dollar quotes. Way to much for 25 square feet.

Are you tiling floors ? Can you have them do it at a better price ?

I’m getting quotes for 100-125k for a kitchen full gut kitchen with semi custom cabinets without appliances. Things are out of control.

Can always try Home Depot and Lowe’s if you’re unsure also with how the companies are your calling.
Got quoted 37-60k to finish 1k sq ft of my basement. There is another room that’s close to 500 sq ft that wasn’t included. I’ve spent 3800 so far and I’m ready for paint and I used r10 foamular most contractors would use batt or r5 to save $$. Lighting was already in place as was a 20a gfci circuit. Labor costs are wild. I will be in for 7k when finished. These guys wanted 30k-53k in labor. INSANE.

Old Today, 05:01 AM

1,472 posts, read 762,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Got quoted 37-60k to finish 1k sq ft of my basement. There is another room that’s close to 500 sq ft that wasn’t included. I’ve spent 3800 so far and I’m ready for paint and I used r10 foamular most contractors would use batt or r5 to save $$. Lighting was already in place as was a 20a gfci circuit. Labor costs are wild. I will be in for 7k when finished. These guys wanted 30k-53k in labor. INSANE.
Good for you. That’s got to be a nice feeling being at the finish line pretty much. I had my bathrooms and upstairs all redone in steps by a hand guy I had. Saved me tens of thousands compared to a company. He would come and go when he had no work bring some helpers for bigger things which was fine with me and agreed upon before he started. Unfortunately with a kitchen and kids now I need a company to come in every day and finish it in a timely manner so I’m stuck paying a big premium. Wish I was handy lol. The contractors have to be getting business to keep quoting these prices so people are paying it I guess. Even though when I drive town around noone is doing work. During Covid everyone was doing siding and windows or a pool or a kitchen. Who knows if it was paid cash or low interest loans. The work slowed down and prices are still up.

I was at the tile shop store this week looking at tile. I went to look at marble we got 3 years ago to tie in a bathroom theme. The marble was 10 dollars a square foot 3 years ago. This week it was 22 dollars a square foot for the same exact item.

Old Today, 06:13 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,333,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Good for you. That’s got to be a nice feeling being at the finish line pretty much. I had my bathrooms and upstairs all redone in steps by a hand guy I had. Saved me tens of thousands compared to a company. He would come and go when he had no work bring some helpers for bigger things which was fine with me and agreed upon before he started. Unfortunately with a kitchen and kids now I need a company to come in every day and finish it in a timely manner so I’m stuck paying a big premium. Wish I was handy lol. The contractors have to be getting business to keep quoting these prices so people are paying it I guess. Even though when I drive town around noone is doing work. During Covid everyone was doing siding and windows or a pool or a kitchen. Who knows if it was paid cash or low interest loans. The work slowed down and prices are still up.

I was at the tile shop store this week looking at tile. I went to look at marble we got 3 years ago to tie in a bathroom theme. The marble was 10 dollars a square foot 3 years ago. This week it was 22 dollars a square foot for the same exact item.
Your getting the I don’t want to do the job price! Check out this place for cabinets. https://www.lilaminatesinc.com/
We didn’t use them for new house. Did for old and priced were very good and solid selection.

Old Today, 08:44 AM

22,676 posts, read 36,826,713 times
Labor does swing wildly, really depends on how hard the job is, what kind of backsplash you chose, different trims, corners etc but you're also paying the contractor's overhead, does one guy advertise all over the place, big fancy trucks and the other guy well established word of mouth doesn't need to advertise regular ole white pedo van. Also someone starting out may be underbidding, someone who can't manage their business can be either over or under bidding - you just don't know. Go with references for who is gonna show and do a good job.

Did a very basic backsplash in Garden City 14 years ago literally one wall and nothing fancy with no trim or anything - just something to look good to sell the house, think it was $500 back then. No more though, I remember the entire job being quite inexpensive.

Old Today, 09:32 AM

20,081 posts, read 20,883,901 times
Jeez, if labor is getting that silly it might be time to start watching some YouTube videos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island