Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 04:20 PM

6 posts, read 1,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBlonde View Post
What town is it in ? Can you live with it the way it is or do you want to rip out this kitchen and bathroom and use it for a garage ??
Thank you for your input. This is in the Town of Oyster Bay. The condition of the house is livable as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
What town?
It's the town of oyster bay.Do different towns have different policies?

Old 04-04-2024, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
When you say the house doesn’t have a co like no co where you can’t live in it?

Need to speak to your soon to be real estate lawyer and an expediter before purchasing. Don’t listen to your real estate agent.

Legalizing the stuff is a can of worms usually. Especially if it’s not up to code. If your buying this house it should be valued as garage not as a kitchen/bathroom because there’s a chance you need to convert back.
Thank you for the heads up. I'll consult with a real estate lawyer before moving forward.

Old 04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Bottom line -

Are there open permits? (I'm guessing no)

Keep in mind if you decide to do work that needs a permit on this house, ALL of these problems become yours.
Appreciate your input!!!

Old 04-04-2024, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
If you plan on staying long term and getting a decent price on the house I would buy it. You can always fix the house but not the location. Great location = Greater appreciation, easy to sell. There's always a cash buyer waiting.

1. I would not try to legalize the deck or kitchen\bath. Enjoy the house, save on the taxes
a. You can get rid out the deck and replace with pavers. I prefer pavers over a deck any day.
2. If you plan on doing any major renovation like an addition, then that would be the time to redo the kitchen and bath.
a. trying to legalize existing unpermitted work can be expensive and stressful. Code enforcement officer can find other
issue once they are inside your house.

I have purchased several homes in LI, and everyone of them had permit issues. No issue closing.
Appreciate your input!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: