Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2024, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 520 times

Advertisements

I sold my house on Long Island, Town of Oyster Bay and 10 K was held in escrow for me to get the permits. I’ve since spent thousands to get all the approvals and now town is saying the deck railing is too low. They no longer make the color of trex for the deck and new home owner says they won’t accept any other color. My deck guy said he can take the cap off the railing put wood underneath to raise the railing and put cap back on. New homeowners say that’s unacceptable. Deck guy says they can remove the wood after town inspects it. They won’t accept that. This is the only thing left holding up my 10 grand. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 09:18 AM

1,464 posts, read 756,714 times
What’s your lawyer say?

Not that I agree with this but isn’t your only job to have the escrow release is to obtain the permits ? Color mismatch should not matter.

Curious who/why this can of worms were opened for a deck.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:29 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
You have learned lo barato sale caro.

Unpermitted work is cheap, but ultimately it is expensive.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:00 AM

7,924 posts, read 9,147,374 times
Tell buyers you will give them the 10k back BUT you will be removing the deck and remove the permits so they will need to start all over to build a deck
All of a sudden your idea for the railing will sound better.

Old 02-29-2024, 03:30 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
What’s your lawyer say?

Not that I agree with this but isn’t your only job to have the escrow release is to obtain the permits ? Color mismatch should not matter.

Curious who/why this can of worms were opened for a deck.
They can't get the permits - that's what the problem is.

OP you are now at the mercy of what the new owners want. Start negotiating or hand over the $10K. That's what they really want.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:41 PM

1,464 posts, read 756,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They can't get the permits - that's what the problem is.

OP you are now at the mercy of what the new owners want. Start negotiating or hand over the $10K. That's what they really want.
I read it as they can get the permits but won’t let the work be done due to pieces being mismatched in color. I might have read it wrong. Still not sure.

Old 03-01-2024, 04:07 AM

1,261 posts, read 560,264 times
Follow your attorney's lead on this.

But for clarity: what is the specific wording in the contract? Is it obtaining permits only? Obtaining certificates of completion? Finishing the job to buyer satisfaction, including cosmetic elements?

Typically the route is obtaining permits and maybe having them closed out via inspection. This requires construction documents showing code-compliant work. If the buyer refuses to budge on allowing compliant work, your lawyer should be pushing back on them to shut up and accept the deck as-is, or with the work done to code even if not cosmetically pleasing and make it their problem. I like the idea of destroying the deck entirely so that you won't be on the hook for giving over a house with non-compliant construction.

The market should still be strong enough that another buyer will want the house with the deck as-is.

Old 03-01-2024, 06:07 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
I had a similar issue with my buyer in 2017. No permit on deck, I told my lawyer give them up to 4k credit. We settled on 2k off sale price and closed. No escrow nothing we settled it and closed the deal.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:28 AM

5,511 posts, read 7,103,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Tell buyers you will give them the 10k back BUT you will be removing the deck and remove the permits so they will need to start all over to build a deck
All of a sudden your idea for the railing will sound better.
I like this idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island