Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 07:33 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times

Advertisements

Greetings:

About to apply for Medicare and I need to provide not only the State (NY) but city I was born in.

I am 98% certain I was born at Mercy Hospital in Rockville Centre but would like to confirm that for accuracy.

Is there any way of retrieving/confirming this information for free without having to request and pay for a birth certificate?

I live out of state and do not need a birth certificate--just a confirmation of the city I was born in (both parents are deceased and I possibly have a birth certificate stored away in 1 of 12 boxes that would take an exhaustive search to find).

Can I just call the hospital Business office or Rockville Centre Village Office??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2024, 08:32 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Greetings:

About to apply for Medicare and I need to provide not only the State (NY) but city I was born in.

I am 98% certain I was born at Mercy Hospital in Rockville Centre but would like to confirm that for accuracy.

Is there any way of retrieving/confirming this information for free without having to request and pay for a birth certificate?

I live out of state and do not need a birth certificate--just a confirmation of the city I was born in (both parents are deceased and I possibly have a birth certificate stored away in 1 of 12 boxes that would take an exhaustive search to find).

Can I just call the hospital Business office or Rockville Centre Village Office??

Thanks
I doubt that either of those options would give you a quick result.
I KNEW that I was born at Mercy, but had to get an original birth certificate.
Drove to Rockville Centre village hall and filled out an application. Paid $10 and the certificate was mailed to my home a week later. They couldn't have been nicer.
I know I'm not answering your question, but hopefully the folks at the village hall can help you. Since you're out of state, ask if you can apply/pay over the phone. May be worth the ten dollars (this was five years ago, it may cost more now)

Old 01-28-2024, 08:48 AM

1,466 posts, read 760,356 times
Why not just go with that as your birth place. Your not lying.

Old 01-28-2024, 09:56 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Yeah start with a call to RVC and/or Mercy and see what they have to say.

Old 01-28-2024, 10:44 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,360,116 times
Just get a copy of your birth certificate.

Old 01-28-2024, 10:59 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Just get a copy of your birth certificate.
Still need to confirm I really was born in RVC..hopefully town clerk can confirm; if not I suppose I will have to contact a department from NY State. I don’t need the birth certificate as I have a passport—maybe I can contact a passport office as I’m fairly certain I used a birth certificate as proof to get one and perhaps they could tell me.

Old 01-28-2024, 06:02 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Spring for the birth certificate. It will answer your question with proof and you will never miss the $10. Better to verify than risk having to potentially re do the entire thing later. Or you can simply put RVC and wing it.

Old 01-28-2024, 06:13 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Ny

You can contact the office of Vital Statistics.

I had to get a copy of my FIL's birth certificate to find out where he was born.
I had it the next day by Fed Ex.

He was born in Utica, NY but always thought it was a different city.

Old 01-28-2024, 07:36 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
My husband was born at Mercy in 1960 and his birth certificate says RVC. I seriously doubt the location changed over the course of a few years, if you can apply for Medicare you are not much older than him.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:33 AM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I was born on a military base. They rotated between five nearby towns as "place of birth" on birth certificates, so you can't just assume the location of the hospital is what your BC says.

I've needed my BC a few times as an adult, it's good to have a copy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island