Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 06:29 AM

54 posts, read 29,452 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

Anyone live in suffolk county but commute to NYC for work?

I live in Commack but commute to Brooklyn three days a week part time. My mornings are insane but I’m done by noon so driving back isn’t bad. Eventually i’m cutting down to two days a week. Anyone have tips for these long morning commutes? LIRR seems to take me longer according to google maps.

Also the benefits and perks I get at this job are unlike anything else which I will never get at another job and i’ve tried looking for months so leaving the job isn’t an option unfortunately.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2024, 09:16 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
I used to commute to downtown BK around Joralemon and court st area a few times a month. It was miserable by car. I’m in Suffolk but only takes me about 3 min to hit Nassau by car. Sadly train was faster as it was a 10 min walk from Atlantic. Need to head in after 930 and leave by 130 to have a normal drive. Of course those hours don’t work for most.

Old 01-28-2024, 09:34 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Crazy as it sounds, I have taken the Sagtikos to Robert Moses Causeway, then Ocean Parkway west all the way to the Meadowbrook up the Southern State a few times when driving to JFK in the morning. I don't know if you're in southern Brooklyn or not. Much longer , almost always faster in the AM. And much more scenic.

Old 01-28-2024, 09:35 AM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times
I have a colleague who commutes 2x a week as well and it is brutal. I think he herallt leaves home at 6am (maybe earlier) and leaves work after 630.

LIRR might make more sense if you only have to take a subway to your job. If you also have to take a bus, it won’t be worth it.

Also, time your commutes. Google is notorious for being too optimistic when it comes to NYC traffic.

Old 01-28-2024, 09:44 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
have you even tried LIRR or you're just guessing?
To where in Brooklyn are you commuting?
At what time in the morning are you leaving? Can you leave earlier?

In general, if the commute times are the same, the train is your best bet. You can sleep, read, do work, etc. and it's less stressful.

Old 01-28-2024, 10:01 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Meh. For the short work week you have it’s probably best to just keep doing what you’re doing. Make sure you have a nice comfy car with a decent radio, and a good cup of coffee.

Old 01-28-2024, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
have you even tried LIRR or you're just guessing?
To where in Brooklyn are you commuting?
At what time in the morning are you leaving? Can you leave earlier?

In general, if the commute times are the same, the train is your best bet. You can sleep, read, do work, etc. and it's less stressful.
I have not tried LIRR but I prefer the privacy of my own car if that makes sense. I commute to downtown Brooklyn. My job is very flexible i am supposed to start at 9am but work with medical residents so I can get there at even 10-10:30am.

Old 01-28-2024, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Meh. For the short work week you have it’s probably best to just keep doing what you’re doing. Make sure you have a nice comfy car with a decent radio, and a good cup of coffee.

Haha thanks!

Old 01-28-2024, 03:53 PM

90 posts, read 66,697 times
Commack is a long way from Brooklyn. Unless I'm missing something, there should be plenty of health care job opportunities for you on Long Island. Equally good wages and benefits. Even for a job 2x week. I'd look for a job with NYU Langone or Northwell on LI.

Old 01-28-2024, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilawyer View Post
Commack is a long way from Brooklyn. Unless I'm missing something, there should be plenty of health care job opportunities for you on Long Island. Equally good wages and benefits. Even for a job 2x week. I'd look for a job with NYU Langone or Northwell on LI.
Yes definitely far!

The best thing about my job in Brooklyn that no other place offers is flexibility. As a mom of three young kids I need that more in my life right now. I can go in late as often as I need and leave early whenever something comes up and I’m done by noon!

When we were house hunting and looking in Nassau county the smaller and more expensive homes just wasn’t cutting it for us. Suffolk was giving us more bang for our buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: