Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2024, 08:35 PM

26 posts, read 16,214 times

Advertisements

During the past 2-3 heavy rainstorms with 60+ mph winds, rain water manages to leak thru the closed damper and drip all over my fire place. I called a reputable chimney repair service and was told due to the heavy windswept rain falling horizontally, there isn’t much that can be done to stop the rain from getting into the chimney. In fact, the owner claims that he has received over 200 calls since the day after Tuesday’s storm. I had a chimney inspection done in 2022 and no issues were found. While I appreciate his honesty and not doing unnecessary work, is this something that everyone with a fireplace just has to put up with? As far as I can tell, the chimney cap is in place and there doesn’t appear to be any damage to the exterior brick work. Am debating on getting a second opinion even though the company I am dealing with has overwhelming positive reviews on google and yelp.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 10:30 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
It happens. When the wind is blowing the rain upside down and sideways moisture can show just about anywhere. Even with a good secure cap you can get water down the chimney on occasion.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:30 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
it happens to my fireplace once every two years or so when there's a bad storm. When it first happened I had someone look at it and was told the same as what you were told.

Old 01-13-2024, 11:16 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,358,240 times
It would be good if there was some sort of cap that can be closed when a storm like this happens. The only problem would be when you forget to open it and light a fire. You might die from carbon monoxide poisoning. Just a thought. I don’t have a fireplace so it doesn’t matter to me.

Old 01-13-2024, 11:33 AM

1,466 posts, read 759,081 times
I don’t get any at all. How much water we talking ?

I would have to trust the companies opinion though especially if they are reputable. Maybe small chance there’s an issue with the flashing where the roof and chimney meet that maybe he didn’t check?

Old 01-13-2024, 12:51 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
I don’t get any at all. How much water we talking ?

I would have to trust the companies opinion though especially if they are reputable. Maybe small chance there’s an issue with the flashing where the roof and chimney meet that maybe he didn’t check?
For me, it's not like there's water pouring down the flue. It's more or less a drip. So we're talking about some fresh water that gets on some brick, stone and firewood at worst.

Old 01-15-2024, 09:58 AM

26 posts, read 16,214 times
Thanks for the advice. It’s not a flood of water but drips enough to soak the rags and towels I put down. I can’t remember having back to back rainstorms with high wind warnings. Regardless, will wait until the spring to have another chimney inspection done just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island