Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 12:15 PM

15 posts, read 8,892 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone here has personal experience sending their child to this school. We are strongly considering the school for our 4 year old’s elementary school as it seems wonderful, however we are middle class, down to earth people. We work hard and are savers so we can afford the tuition, but socially I want to be sure my daughter will overall be comfortable socially. Unfortunately, I do not personally know anyone whose child has attended the school.

If anyone has any helpful info or feedback I would be very grateful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 02:26 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,669,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyAngels View Post
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone here has personal experience sending their child to this school. We are strongly considering the school for our 4 year old’s elementary school as it seems wonderful, however we are middle class, down to earth people. We work hard and are savers so we can afford the tuition, but socially I want to be sure my daughter will overall be comfortable socially. Unfortunately, I do not personally know anyone whose child has attended the school.

If anyone has any helpful info or feedback I would be very grateful. Thanks!
What do you think East Woods can provide that your local SD can't? It would surprise me if there is anything.

You are not middle class if you can afford $30k+ for elementary school on top of your $10k+ school tax. That's approximately $55k+ of gross income dedicated to elementary school.

Old 01-11-2024, 05:34 PM

Thanks for your comment. Are you familiar with the school?

Old 01-11-2024, 05:55 PM

6 posts, read 3,830 times
Great education but the bigger question is will you be able to keep up with the CSH, LH and Oyster Bay families socially and financially? It will not feel good for your child to go there and not feel like they belong, clubs, concerts etc...

Old 01-12-2024, 06:15 AM

Thanks Melly. That is exactly my concern but I am so torn. The school’s program offerings have everything I could hope for, but I’m worried that the negatives caused by the socioeconomic differences will be too overwhelming at some point causing issues with playdates, friendships etc. I was hoping there would be someone on this site with actual experience like this whether at Eastwoods or similar school but I guess not. I appreciate your reply.

Old 01-13-2024, 05:33 AM

185 posts, read 110,310 times
I looked at this school for my kids. There were a lot of families of stay at home moms there. If that is your dynamic, great. If not, you will not be comfortable socially.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:26 AM

1,302 posts, read 339,067 times
Why are people so obsessed with social dynamics? 99% of people are too busy/ engrossed with their own lives to care about anyone else (not necessarily a bad thing). There’s always someone more successful around the corner. I’m sure there are families pulling in $250K/year and then others down the block pulling in $500K+.

Give your child the best opportunities possible.

Old 01-13-2024, 10:58 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,669,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyAngels View Post
Thanks Melly. That is exactly my concern but I am so torn. The school’s program offerings have everything I could hope for, but I’m worried that the negatives caused by the socioeconomic differences will be too overwhelming at some point causing issues with playdates, friendships etc.
You are concerning yourself over nothing. If you feel comfortable spending 60k of gross income on East Woods you will fit right in. I would guess the median household income of an East Woods family is about 250-300k.

I would love to know what "school’s program offerings have everything I could hope for". I will guarantee every north shore public elementary school has the same "program". You do know the teacher turnover at these privates is quite high due to the low pay scale of their teachers? In the public schools a teacher can make $100k+ after about 7-8 years. Very few teachers at the privates make $100k. What kind of talent do you think the privates are attracting when offering less than 50% of the public compensation?

And yes, I have lived on the north shore for a long time and know teacher's, parent's and student's of East Woods, Greenvale, Friends, St. Mary's , Chaminade, etc ... and have heard the pros and cons of attending private over public.

Old 01-13-2024, 01:00 PM

5,058 posts, read 3,962,017 times
It is interesting that to residents of the (very) nearby and public Cold Spring Harbor School District the East Woods School would be a step down educationally/socially and certainly more ‘diverse’ than their elementary schools. I’m guessing most of the students at the East Woods School come from the Oyster Bay and Locust Valley school districts.

Old 01-25-2024, 12:08 AM

855 posts, read 452,283 times
There is nothing down to earth about north shore private schools.

I've had experience with various private schools across the country and frankly there is nothing worse than the little precious, privileged cult on north shore LI.

The concern would be your child growing up within that paradigm.

St Doms in Oyster Bay and Lutheran later, were the most normal private schools on the north shore I came across. Normal people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island