Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2023, 07:47 PM

7 posts, read 3,404 times

Advertisements

Its been a while since I been around long island, got away in 2003 and then ended up in Florida for years, its not very nice down there as many people have been dropped from their home insurances and are one hurricane away from being homeless and losing everything. but thats another story

So I am back on long island taking care of an old and sick relative I am checking how much 1 room is renting for on craiglist, and I seen some rooms for $1500! No bathroom in that room, no kitchen . this is what we rented a 3 bed room house for in 2000-2003!!!

whats going on here? How did it get this bad, this quick? And is there any relief? I heard they are going to start charging people on long island a toll to get into Manhattan in 3 months, and the tolls are said to be the same as they charge the people in NJ to get into NY state!

I am just shocked, people are talking about the migrant crisis but that toll is going to cause a crisis. Do the math, thats hundreds of dollars of month now, every single person will less money for food and gas.

I would suspect things like this cause the rent to go up? Tolls where only $3.50 last I lived here. This is not inflation, did the property taxes increase by so much that people are charging so much for 1 room?

I just cant imagine this place in 10 years. I am starting to think that, most people on long island are "financially trapped" here. Meaning, they have kids, a home a job, and to just get up and leave will destroys the life of their kids in school, and possibly their marriage as its not a guarantee everything will go smooth in the new state with work and the kids school.

I am just trying to figure out how it got this bad this quick, and even the price of a ticket to the city is $30 round trip now.

I would guess property taxes went up by thousands of dollars in 20 years that it made it this bad? In another 10-15 years, it seems like a room on long island will be renting for $2000, even though I see some rooms renting that high, $1200 is almost the average cost of renting 1 room on long island (based on the craigslist adds I saw). which is what a 3 bed room was going for in 2000.

Last edited by LeaveTheWorldBehind; 12-12-2023 at 07:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 06:03 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,368,209 times
Everything is out of control here. I rented a house as recently as 2014 and was paying 2200 for a 3 BR, 2 Bath house in a nice neighborhood. These days, a house like that costs about $3.5 - $4K\mo which is insane. Taxes will always go up probably to pay for teachers and police pensions and the high end of their salaries. Taxes are mostly for school districts though. Overpaid superintendents mostly. They have been trying to charge people to get into the city forever. I think you are referring to Congestion Pricing which is noting more than an a phony attempt to ease the amount of traffic. Give me a break. What about people who have sick relatives or whatever below 60th street. How are they going to afford to go there on a regular basis?

Definitely no relief in sight, as long as the Democrats run this state. Sorry, but that is the truth. They love to tax and spend. I do not think the migrant crises in NYC is affecting us on LI but we have our own migrant crises. Much of the island looks like am inner city with people allowed to hold up signs that they need money at many intersections while other Spanish looking people try to sell flowers and disgusting looking fruit at every corner. As if anyone is going to buy food from some person that is most likely living in a roach infested apartment. This is why Giuliani was so great. He got rid of those squeegee people that waited at the bridge to wash your windows with filthy water. It all starts there. It will get far worse. Never better. Many of us as stuck where with kids in school as you said. As soon as they are out, I am gone, no question. You cannot retire in this state. My taxes are over $11\mo now. What will they be when I am older?

None of these costs will ever come down.

Old 12-13-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Everything is out of control here. I rented a house as recently as 2014 and was paying 2200 for a 3 BR, 2 Bath house in a nice neighborhood. These days, a house like that costs about $3.5 - $4K\mo which is insane. Taxes will always go up probably to pay for teachers and police pensions and the high end of their salaries. Taxes are mostly for school districts though. Overpaid superintendents mostly. They have been trying to charge people to get into the city forever. I think you are referring to Congestion Pricing which is noting more than an a phony attempt to ease the amount of traffic. Give me a break. What about people who have sick relatives or whatever below 60th street. How are they going to afford to go there on a regular basis?

Definitely no relief in sight, as long as the Democrats run this state. Sorry, but that is the truth. They love to tax and spend. I do not think the migrant crises in NYC is affecting us on LI but we have our own migrant crises. Much of the island looks like am inner city with people allowed to hold up signs that they need money at many intersections while other Spanish looking people try to sell flowers and disgusting looking fruit at every corner. As if anyone is going to buy food from some person that is most likely living in a roach infested apartment. This is why Giuliani was so great. He got rid of those squeegee people that waited at the bridge to wash your windows with filthy water. It all starts there. It will get far worse. Never better. Many of us as stuck where with kids in school as you said. As soon as they are out, I am gone, no question. You cannot retire in this state. My taxes are over $11\mo now. What will they be when I am older?

so the inflation is permanent then. If you want to call it inflation.

I think the congestion pricing will be the end of many on long island. People in NJ always had to pay so they arent going to feel it, but things are cheaper in NJ compared to NY

Old 12-13-2023, 06:43 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,782,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveTheWorldBehind View Post
so the inflation is permanent then. If you want to call it inflation.

I think the congestion pricing will be the end of many on long island. People in NJ always had to pay so they arent going to feel it, but things are cheaper in NJ compared to NY
Very few from LI that work in the city commute by car and will be directly affected by the congestion pricing. LIers who take the LIRR already pay hundreds a month to go to work and have for years.

Old 12-13-2023, 08:52 PM

22,685 posts, read 36,850,940 times
Just returned from a trip to NYC and enjoyed paying a "Jacob Javits Center fee" at the hotels I stayed at.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:29 AM

13,061 posts, read 18,157,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Just returned from a trip to NYC and enjoyed paying a "Jacob Javits Center fee" at the hotels I stayed at.
ERIC ADAMS says thank you.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:42 AM

132 posts, read 103,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post

You wrote your taxes are over 11/mo Do you mean there 11K a month or a year ?

Old 12-14-2023, 07:47 AM

22,685 posts, read 36,850,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
ERIC ADAMS says thank you.
And climbing over the homeless people between the air train and Jamaica station. Beautiful gateway to NYC.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Very few from LI that work in the city commute by car and will be directly affected by the congestion pricing. LIers who take the LIRR already pay hundreds a month to go to work and have for years.
if very few people drive, why does it take me 2 hours to get to NYC and 3 hours to get home? Sure see alot of cars on the road. Trains seem empty post covid

Old 12-14-2023, 07:33 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,368,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBlonde View Post
You wrote your taxes are over 11/mo Do you mean there 11K a month or a year ?
Sorry. It’s about $14k/ yr. And I live in an average town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: