Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 02:07 PM

5 posts, read 2,232 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm in the process of building out a small area in the backyard for my 3 sons who play soccer and lacrosse. They would like to be able to use the area at night time. Is there any ordinance that limits the maximum height of a light pole that I could use?

Thanks,
Mac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 03:03 PM

20 feet

Old 11-21-2023, 03:18 PM

39 posts, read 29,459 times
20 feet seems annoyingly high. I wouldn’t want it next door to me, unless they are extraordinarily well focused.

Old 11-22-2023, 09:10 AM

Well hello my neighbor!! The regulations only call for having reflectors installed if the light bulb is 100 watts or lower so no need for focusing the lights. I'm thinking a few lines of 100 watt string bulbs hanging from the house to the back end of the yard property line might be adequate enough. Unfortunately, the string bulbs hang only 10 bulbs per line max, so I figure about 5 lines with 10 light bulbs per piece for a total of 5000 watts of lighting might be adequate. Then again, its pitch black back there at night so maybe more?

Old 11-22-2023, 05:16 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,355,628 times
I’ll never understand why people do this stuff. It’s a back yard in a mostly quiet neighborhood. It’s not a soccer field in a public park, which is where your sons should be going. It’s not just the lights the neighbors have to deal with. It’s going to be the sound of balls hitting fences and other objects and boys yelling. Glad I don’t like there.

Old 11-27-2023, 08:24 AM

427 posts, read 154,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I’ll never understand why people do this stuff. It’s a back yard in a mostly quiet neighborhood. It’s not a soccer field in a public park, which is where your sons should be going. It’s not just the lights the neighbors have to deal with. It’s going to be the sound of balls hitting fences and other objects and boys yelling. Glad I don’t like there.
You have a quibble with kids playing outside on their own property? Isn't that one of the points of moving to the suburbs to begin with? Maybe you need to go live in the woods someplace. Given the amount of time kids spend on screens these days, some nice healthy playing outside is a good thing.

There aren't a lot of public parks that are open at night anymore in any event, and they often become a hangout spot for high school kids doing drugs etc.

As for the light issue, just be respectful. Angle it away from your neighbors, use a hood to prevent spill, don't get anything overly bright, put it on a timer/motion sensor, etc.

Old 11-29-2023, 08:48 AM

I am all for kids playing outside on tv set it own yard and making noise that kids make. But when you start asking about light poles snd lights, you know it is going to far. Kids don’t need to be playing soccer outside using lights. In the summer, it’s light until nearly 9 pm. So, the OP has plans in plying after dark at night when most people are winding down. What’s to stop the noise by 10 or 11 pm? And soccer isn’t quiet when you have a few teenagers playing. It’s just common courtesy. They have all day and up until 9 pm to play. There is no reason to go later than that. Their got to make noise and have lights shining ends when the person next door has when they don’t want to see and hear it after a certain hour. Moving out here doesn’t give people the right to do anything they want though they sure think they can.

Old 12-07-2023, 02:55 PM

Yes, our family is a recent transplant from the Upper East side as of summer year. We've never been able to enjoy the great outdoors in the evening hours. Now that our family is here in the suburbs, we intend on fully taking advantage of it.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:41 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by technicalgadget View Post
Yes, our family is a recent transplant from the Upper East side as of summer year. We've never been able to enjoy the great outdoors in the evening hours. Now that our family is here in the suburbs, we intend on fully taking advantage of it.
I will give you that you don’t mean to sound as selfish as you are coming across. I hope I am correct on this, because if you were my neighbor and that was your attitude, you and I would have problems. Maybe in NYC you couldn’t do something or other however just because you “can “ now doesn’t mean that you should. Your goal as a new neighbor should be to get along with your neighbors and not antagonize them. Now if you are a reasonable person then I am all about compromise.

Old 12-09-2023, 09:16 PM

OP will find out that he won't be able to just "fully take advantage" of living out in the suburbs. He can do what he wants until one of his 3 surrounding neighbors that he shares a property line with has a problem. He may feel that he can continue to do what he wants but so can they. They may go out and shoot the lights out with a BB gun or maybe something worse. He may get lucky and have a bunch of tolerant neighbors who do not mind or he could get the opposite. He will find out when the lights and noise at night time begins. Welcome to the Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island