Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 01:04 PM

81 posts, read 128,460 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking to install a car charger in the garage for an electric car. My electrician recommends putting in a breaker in the garage in case we want more chargers in the future (like outside or split btw two cars).

Looks like a job like this requires a permit. Our main electrical box is in the basement on the opposite side of the house but the basement is unfinished except the mechanical room where the electrical supply is.

The permit needs quite a bit of info (drawings, site plans, manufacturer sects, etc).

Are people really getting permits for a car charger?

FWIW, my house is a 2016 build that has a 300 amp service.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2023, 01:35 PM

20,060 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Yes. It’s good to file for a permit just to be safe. Also that way when the inspector comes he can find anything else wrong or illegal with your home and make you comply with code.

Old 10-25-2023, 02:23 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yes. It’s good to file for a permit just to be safe. Also that way when the inspector comes he can find anything else wrong or illegal with your home and make you comply with code.

Hey, we've missed your sarcasm
Hope you and yours are well!!

Old 10-25-2023, 02:36 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,056 times
Waste of time and money. Just install a nema 14-50 outlet and call it a day. My panel is in my basement and it was a 41ft run to my garage. If I get a second tesla it’s not a big deal the charging cord is 25ft. It would be rare the need to charge both at the same time. If you wanted a sub panel in the garage, getting a permit is overkill you are adding a new outlet. If you added a new outlet to a bedroom and installed high hats you are running wire etc and would not get a permit. Only difference is with a EV you are using 6/3 or 4/3 wire vs 12/3. The charging cables or units have built in gfci for extra safety.

Old 10-25-2023, 02:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Waste of time and money. Just install a nema 14-50 outlet and call it a day. My panel is in my basement and it was a 41ft run to my garage. If I get a second tesla it’s not a big deal the charging cord is 25ft. It would be rare the need to charge both at the same time. If you wanted a sub panel in the garage, getting a permit is overkill you are adding a new outlet. If you added a new outlet to a bedroom and installed high hats you are running wire etc and would not get a permit. Only difference is with a EV you are using 6/3 or 4/3 wire vs 12/3. The charging cables or units have built in gfci for extra safety.
While that may be the easiest way to do it, I don't know of any state, including yours that allows any electrical work without a permit. From your state code: "No installation and modification to any electrical systems can be performed without a permit and a Licensed Master Electrician."

That said, I have done it. The cost of the permit and risk of the inspector requiring additional work, especially on an older house can make a simple job like this very expensive. The only way it would be caught is when you go to sell and an inspector notices it but finds no permit on file.

https://www.nyc.gov/site/buildings/p...lectrical.page

Old 10-25-2023, 03:48 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
This exactly! just make sure if you get a NEMA 14-50 and don’t hardwire it you get a commercial grade outlet like a Hubble as the cheap Home Depot/lowes Lutron’s tend to overheat and even melt. My panel is also in my basement and my garage detached (put it on a 50 amp breaker). Trench had to be dug etc. everything was done to code but no permit.

Old 10-25-2023, 04:25 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
This exactly! just make sure if you get a NEMA 14-50 and don’t hardwire it you get a commercial grade outlet like a Hubble as the cheap Home Depot/lowes Lutron’s tend to overheat and even melt. My panel is also in my basement and my garage detached (put it on a 50 amp breaker). Trench had to be dug etc. everything was done to code but no permit.
Good advice! I used a Hubbell HBL9450A, went metal box and pigtailed the ground to the box. I also used a 50a breaker.

Old 10-25-2023, 05:04 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Good advice! I used a Hubbell HBL9450A, went metal box and pigtailed the ground to the box. I also used a 50a breaker.
Yep hubbell or Bryant (same company) are the way to go if you go plug in. Always s,art to go metal box, I’ve seen people recess them in plastic box inside the wall and put a plastic plate over

Old 10-26-2023, 03:19 AM

820 posts, read 447,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Yep hubbell or Bryant (same company) are the way to go if you go plug in. Always s,art to go metal box, I’ve seen people recess them in plastic box inside the wall and put a plastic plate over
As a 42 year construction supervisor, I'll say you guys are giving good advice, but I would be careful with what you say.

The only issue I have is if those wanting this aren't knowledgeable like you are. Then they have to trust electricians who, which we all know, aren't always honest or good. At that point they should get a permit just for the added security of a proper job via inspection to be without issues once complete.

Reminds me of a portable generator I had in NJ. Installed a 30 amp breaker, proper cord and NEMA box/receptacle so I can back feed the panel. Shut the main, flip the breaker, and my most important items in my house are powered up (circulators for heat, basement sump pump, fridge, lights, etc.). Neighbors who aren't experienced asked for me to do the same for them. I declined and advised a licensed electrician for the proper legal install. I knew what I was doing, they didn't and could very well have troubles.

So I guess I'm saying that if you're not in the business, do it the legal way to be sure it's done right. If you know what you're doing and are knowledgeable, then you undoubtedly don't need the advice.

Old 10-26-2023, 04:20 AM

1,264 posts, read 562,758 times
Keep in mind that even if no permit is required, work still needs to be code-compliant. Hire a licensed electrician experienced with installation of these fixtures.

State Code allows individual municipalities to waive PERMIT requirements for the installation of listed and labeled electrical fixtures, but does not waive any requirements that work be performed in accordance with electrical codes and manufacturer specifications. Hire a licensed electrician who has worked within the jurisdiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: